Wiki Posts
Search

advice sought wrt SHA-BOS in early June

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2021, 6:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

advice sought wrt SHA-BOS in early June

I'm starting this thread in the "other" forum because I figure there's a decent chance I'll end up on MU, but I'm honestly fine with any airline that will provide a decent balance between value and painlessness.

I would like to use DL miles if possible because I have a lot, but delta.com is only offering a PVG-ICN-SEA-BOS routing with a 5 hour layover in SEA (only 100k miles in J; I would gladly fly Y if I could eliminate SEA from the equation). MU via JFK is available when I call Delta, but word on the street is that PVG-JFK is unlikely to actually fly anytime soon because the Chinese government regards the inbound as a Covid risk. I know AF would work via CDG, and I think KE still flies to BOS from ICN (not sure though). I'm not strictly limited to Skyteam, but *A and OW also feature some pretty brutal routings.

I'm fine with any dates between May 15 and June 5, and I just want one way unless there is a significant discount for booking round trip (I would pick a return date ~6 weeks later).
Old Apr 12, 2021, 7:48 am

Programs: Basement Lurker Club
I'd actually recommend trying to do the transfer to China closer to China rather than in the US. It does make the COVID-19 PCR test a bit harder to get in time because the embassy requires it to be within 72 hours (at least back October last year) of the departing flight into China, but I managed it. Note that the US timestamp will be treated as local time on the departing flight which forces you to lose quite a few hours of validity.

I flew CZ on my last leg ICN-CAN in J, and the thing on Chinese airlines right now is that there is no service at all. You get a bag of wrapped chinese junk food and they discourage you to even use the bathroom. To the contrary, KE still has service on their flights with proper meals and aren't acting crazy with hazmat suits all the way through the journey.

Last edited by hessinger; Apr 13, 2021 at 10:59 am
Old Apr 12, 2021, 8:12 am

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
I would suggest going with MU. Delta is currently showing PVG-JFK-BOS on June1 for 56,200 miles plus RMB1,692 in taxes. The PVG / JFK route has been their workhorse for their North American route (their only one to the US) and the current ban is only for 4 weeks. If I were a betting man I would guess it would fly. If it doesn't I'll buy you a shot.

That one has a long transfer though. You can just get off in NYC and take the train or maybe just buy a flight with cash. Same number of miles, similar taxes.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 11:34 pm

Might not have a choice anyway, last route MU got banned off of, they haven't resumed again, ever after the ban period.

https://simpleflying.com/china-easte...-shanghai-ban/
Old Apr 12, 2021, 11:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YariGuy
I would suggest going with MU. Delta is currently showing PVG-JFK-BOS on June1 for 56,200 miles plus RMB1,692 in taxes. The PVG / JFK route has been their workhorse for their North American route (their only one to the US) and the current ban is only for 4 weeks. If I were a betting man I would guess it would fly. If it doesn't I'll buy you a shot.

That one has a long transfer though. You can just get off in NYC and take the train or maybe just buy a flight with cash. Same number of miles, similar taxes.
I blocked out of my delta account now for some reason (had to send them in a passport scan last week but it's still locked), but I'm willing to roll the dice on the MU flight coming back. But, I would prefer AF or KE (if they still fly to BOS).

ETA: It appears that KE is flying ICN-BOS 3x per week. With the 930a departure, I'd presumably have to go to Seoul the night before, but I'm okay with that.

Last edited by moondog; Apr 13, 2021 at 12:08 am
Old Apr 14, 2021, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Hi again. PVG-ICN-BOS is definitely now my preferred routing IFF I'm allowed to leave ICN and stay at a hotel near the airport (I actually prefer the lower end hotels in Incheon New Town to the Hyatt because there are some cool restaurants and saunas there). Can any of you comment on whether or not Korea will let me enter the country? I can get one of the Chinese vaccines if that makes a difference, and maybe one of the better ones before my trip. I haven't checked the AF schedules yet because this entails more flying time, but that's my next line of attack.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 3:56 am

The signs posted at immigration/customs back in October seemed to indicate requiring to self-quarantine. I would note that the Koreans working in the terminal's transit area were not being particularly cautious. Mask compliance wasn't too high and it wasn't like anyone was in hazmat suits. They even had small smattering of instrumental performances around the terminal.

Old Apr 16, 2021, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hessinger
The signs posted at immigration/customs back in October seemed to indicate requiring to self-quarantine. I would note that the Koreans working in the terminal's transit area were not being particularly cautious. Mask compliance wasn't too high and it wasn't like anyone was in hazmat suits. They even had small smattering of instrumental performances around the terminal.
Thanks for your reply. I did a little research on this topic shortly after my previous post, and it appears that the quarantine requirement is waived for stays less than 24 hours. I emailed KE for confirmation on this, and haven't heard back yet; no big deal because I'm still waiting on my dad for advice on optimal dates. I saw YariGuy last night and we discussed my options. He was initially encouraging me to go with MU, but when I explained to him how annoying JFK is for connections to BOS, the fact that the ban on PVG-JFK could be extended, and that I actually don't mind spending a night in Korea, he came around to my POV. He also endorses AF as long as the connection is tolerable.

I'm not anti AA/DL/UA by any means, but all 3 of them are only offering atrocious itineraries at this point in time. Sure, PVG-ICN-BOS takes longer than PVG-ICN-SEA-BOS, but it entails 8 hours of quality sleep before the morning nonstop to BOS.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 2:11 am

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
Incidentally, the latest information I have (as of April 1) for international flights says that there is only 1 weekly flight to Seoul from PVG -- every Friday on MU.

Also, I had a flight from PVG-LAX on MU for June 15. Yesterday I was contacted and informed that that flight has been formally canceled. July is still on the books for PVG-LAX but the agent said that's probably not going to happen either.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 6:14 pm

There is a second direct flight on PVG-ICN on Mondays, but not on anyone's first choice of an airline. Spring 8569

Though I don't think it will help since it's not on the right days for ICN-BOS. The only other reasonable connection, disregarding the desire to use points, seems like PVG-NRT-BOS. CA929, JL 8, that would leave a layover shy of 4 hours.

One thing I'll say is that, In the off chance you do find a schedule with a tight connection, is that the airlines are very aware of the low
frequency of flights at the moment. On my flight on the way to China, the origin flight out of LA was running several hours late, and CZ was made aware from OZ there were a few connecting passengers and decided to delay their CZ flight as result to prevent passengers being getting trapped at ICN even though most passengers were on separate tickets.
YariGuy likes this.

Last edited by hessinger; Apr 19, 2021 at 6:38 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.