Carry on slightly too big in every direction(Air Asia)

Old Aug 4, 19, 3:09 am
Original Poster

Carry on slightly too big in every direction(Air Asia)

Air Asia stated carry on size limit (on website) 56 x 36 x 23 cm
My backpack: 60 x 37 x 27 cm https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32303995120.html

With force I could probably squish it into a sizer. Should that be good enough for them?

In general will airlines hassle people with big-looking backpacks?

Last edited by Brko; Aug 4, 19 at 3:18 am
Old Aug 4, 19, 6:23 am

Programs: BA Silver
I would be careful about generalising about airlines - some airlines, some countries and some airports are stricter than others.

In all cases, though, you need to be aware of the risk and willing to (gracefully) give in and pay the airport rate if challenged.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Aug 4, 19, 7:43 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Scots_Al View Post
I would be careful about generalising about airlines - some airlines, some countries and some airports are stricter than others.

In all cases, though, you need to be aware of the risk and willing to (gracefully) give in and pay the airport rate if challenged.
And even some agents are stricter than others at the very same ticket counter/gate. OP - you may get more Air Asia user experience in the given airline forum where I've alerted a mod to request a move.

I've only had one flight on Air Asia, REP-DMK, so can only offer one data point. The agents didn't seem to be going out of their way to size carry-ons. But my one experience shouldn't be taken as an assurance. IIRC Air Asia has a weight limit on carry-on bags as well, I didn't see anyone have theirs weighed but I heard from a couple folks that the carrier sometimes does weigh them.

As noted above it's hard to generalize, though myself and others on FT have noted anecdotally that regular sized backpacks (i.e., not the camping style packs) generally are less likely to attract an agent's curiosity than rollaboards, particularly for airlines that are concerned with weight limits - but again can't guarantee.

Best advice as the prior posted noted, is to just be prepared in case you are challenged and the bag doesn't fit. I usually keep my valuables and lithium batteries together so I can easily pull them out of the carry-on in case I'm forced to check it for some reason (though that's rare as my backpack is within most limits and fits under most seats, but you never know).
Old Aug 4, 19, 8:03 am
Original Poster

I have taken Air Asia flights and never sized or weighed my other backpack. That said it was a smaller one so maybe they were eyeball-assessing it.

The main question I have is whether or not I'm allowed to squish the backpack to fit. Because if so I think it'll be fine no matter what.
Old Aug 4, 19, 8:18 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Moving thread to Other Asian Airlines Forum
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Aug 4, 19, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
No one can give you any certainty on this. Good luck and please report back.
Old Aug 4, 19, 12:24 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
Originally Posted by Brko View Post
I have taken Air Asia flights and never sized or weighed my other backpack. That said it was a smaller one so maybe they were eyeball-assessing it.

The main question I have is whether or not I'm allowed to squish the backpack to fit. Because if so I think it'll be fine no matter what.
I travel with a fairly decent sized backpack as my main carry-on all the time (along with a small computer bag as my personal item). I have never had any airline question it on size or weight.

Mine actually fails in the depth against common airline max size dimensions when it is fully packed, yet in reality fits easier in bins than rollers. I think airlines basically know that rollers are the problem, and this is what they focus on.

Of course, YMMV.
Brko likes this.
Old Aug 4, 19, 4:27 pm
_fx

Programs: AS 75k, IHG Spire Elite
Havenít flown AirAsia too many times, but once on the same flight I saw many clearly oversized bags squished in AND a roller bag removed by cabin crew for being oversized (and the passenger charged on the spot).

So basically, anything could happen. My guess is the more your bag looks like it fits (soft, backpack, fits perpendicular) the less likely you are to be challenged.
Brko likes this.
Old Aug 4, 19, 7:47 pm

YMMV but here's based on my experience.

Weight limits will be your biggest enemy. Typically they weight rollers but i've seen them weighing backpacks before. For such a small extra margin, i wouldnt be too concerned about the dimensions since like you said, you can squish it to fit the sizer.
Brko likes this.
Old Aug 6, 19, 12:53 am

Programs: Enrich
Backpack is fine, usually their are more careless on backpack size unless you bring the 80L camping backpack. They are more strick on those luggage type

I believe my northface 3 day pacdais also similar size, and I have been fly it with Air Asia for several times
Old Aug 7, 19, 4:39 am

Programs: EY Guest Gold, QR Burgundy, EK Blue, LH M&M, SQ Krisflyer
I guess It depends on the airport, just flown two days ago from BDO and KUL. From BDO they couldn't care less about my cabin luggage, not weighted, probably they would only notice if excessively bigger than standard. At KLIA2 after check in area, before entering to immigration and boarding area there is an agent that weight each trolley/case, 8 and 9 kg were admitted, not sure which is the tolerance limit, but I guess if you achieve 10 kg you will be redirected back to check in. I didn't see any device to check the size, thus estimation will be done visually. Hand bags and common size backpacks not checked.

As mentioned by others different airports may have different policies.

Last edited by BobFF68; Aug 7, 19 at 10:47 am
Old Aug 12, 19, 2:28 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Your best bet is just to arrive with enough time to check the bag if needed, then attempt to carry it on. Better to get thru and waste extra time at the airport than be frantically trying to check a bag. If you're flying from an airport that is not their hub and you make it to the gate, if they catch you there they might make you gate-check and charge you a checked bag fee - but my experience with them at non-hubs was that they didn't look at bags. At a hub airport, you might be caught pre-security screening and need to have time to go check the bag (use a self-bag check kiosk if you can).

Over the last 2 weeks I took 4 flights with Air Asia: SIN-KUL, KUL-HAN, HAN-PEN & PEN-SIN

I was traveling with a friend, and we both had backpacks that matched precisely the maximum size allowance and were stuffed quit full and over the 7kg weight limit. Aside from KUL airport, no one even glanced at our bags, and we saw some backpacks and rollers which appeared larger.

Departing from KUL, one if their hubs in which they have their own terminal, every single carry-on bag was being weighed. Mine was slightly over at 7.5kg and the staff person waved me through. My buddy was way over the 7kg limit at 11kg a the security guard was about to deny him when the AirAsia staff member overrode him and waved him through, possibly because he realized we were traveling together and I had stopped to turn around.
Brko likes this.
Old Aug 12, 19, 7:16 pm

Programs: asia miles
As people already pointed it out, it is not only about AirAsia, it also depends of the airport. Some airport, like HKG foe example, are quite tricked about it.

But talking purely about AirAsia, I fly them quite a bit and I never got my hand carry weighted at the gate before. Only placed where it always gets weighted at checking is HKG.
Old Aug 14, 19, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

I travel between 2 smaller airports, Utapao and Udon Thani (UTP and UTH). So it sounds like I have a low probability of running into issues then
Old Aug 17, 19, 6:29 pm

Programs: QR, AC, EVA, UL and PAL
I have travelled a lot on AirAsia Thai and had to pay excess baggage for 1 kg out of BKK. I do not trust Air Asia or any low cost airline on these things. As some other OPs has said it is dependent on the individual agent and you never know what they will do. My experience has been they are more strict on the weight and I also have seen many outsize bags on board especially on the domestic flights on Air Asia Thai.

Search this Thread