Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines
Reload this Page >

Do Chinese airlines hassle you for hidden city ticketing?

Old Aug 3, 19, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA MM, AS MVP, MR Plat

My parents are booking UA awards:

LAX-PVG on UA
(stopover for a couple days)
PVG-SZX on CA

They'll both take LAX-PVG but only my mom will continue PVG-SZX.

However, I want to keep them both on the same reservation - 2 tickets LAX-PVG/PVG-SZX. (So I don't get hit with double change fees.)

Will my mom have any trouble boarding PVG-SZX if my dad is missing? Should I notify the airline after they have gotten to PVG?

EDIT: It seems prices increase after I add the CA leg, so I may just book the CA leg separately. Still curious to hear from people..

Last edited by eethan; Aug 3, 19 at 8:38 pm
Old Aug 4, 19, 9:21 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Are you booking oneway or roundtrip? Is SZX the final leg? In any case, with a stopover >24 hours this is not hidden city ticketing.

If one way you need more miles and it is the same as booking a separate ticket. If RT and departing from and returning to the US you could get the domestic leg at no additional miles but skipping it will cancel all further reservations.
Old Aug 4, 19, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA MM, AS MVP, MR Plat
You're right. I ended up getting this resolved separately. I'll let this thread be a place for others to comment on hidden city ticketing experiences in China.
Old Aug 5, 19, 1:52 am

Programs: DL PM, AA LT Plat
This is something I am curious about. Does anyone have experience?

I recently was in Phnom Penh, nice Delta miles for the PVG-PNH one way MU flight. Then I had to go to the US for business, so bought PNH-PVG-LAX-PVG-PNH on MU... nice price, PNH-PVG was a B class, so extra miles and MQM's.... but when I returned, I had no more reason to go to Cambodia, so skipped the flight.

I can't imagine an issue for this one time, but if I did something like this 4-5 times, would MU or any other Chinese airline catch on or every care? Delta probably would, eventually.