Fiji Airways NAN-DFW being discussed

Old Jul 28, 2019, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Fiji Airways NAN-DFW being discussed

The pilot of my plane and another Fiji employee in a suit were talking about a new NAN-DFW route. They mentioned that the point of the route was that DFW is an AA hub and more for connections with their Oneworld Connect status. The pilot was talking about trying to get on the route. I do not know what stage of speculation this route is, but I did find the conversation interesting.
Unionruler likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 6:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by weibelt
The pilot of my plane and another Fiji employee in a suit were talking about a new NAN-DFW route. They mentioned that the point of the route was that DFW is an AA hub and more for connections with their Oneworld Connect status. The pilot was talking about trying to get on the route. I do not know what stage of speculation this route is, but I did find the conversation interesting.
this makes perfect sense. The new A359s could easily do NAN/DFW & no one flies SIN/DFW nonstop, so perhaps FJ could offer SIN/NAN/DFW + also maybe HKG/NAN/DFW & NRT/NAN/DFW.

FJ already codeshare with AA over NAN/LAX, NAN/SFO & member of One World in some form.

The A359s are doing SYD/NAN/SYD daily from 1JAN & NAN/LAX/NAN 6 days a week (other day is a relatively new A330).

In low season, the A330s can easily handle demand, as 61 more seats on an FJ A359 than an FJ A332.

Despite cosmetic improvements ar LAX, many try to avoid it for transfers if possible.

Qantas owns something like 46% of FJ. Qantas already flies SYD/DFW daily I think (correction 6 days a week, currently daily in peak season). It makes flying to east coast USA or east coast cities of Canada easier.

Maybe QF/FJ could offer a combo fare(QF in one direction, FJ in the other, especially on day QF don't fly SYD/DFW nonstop) to DFW & beyond, just like they do to LAX from Australia.

FJ is often the cheapest of airlines that fly Australia/LAX & SFO & even though NOT nonstop, connections at NAN are often good & changing flights is easy & then there's the option of a Fijian stopover.

Last edited by OZFLYER86; Aug 1, 2019 at 6:36 am
Old Aug 1, 2019, 7:15 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
trivia notice:
NAN-MIA and SYD-LAX are the same distance per gcmap.......

Happy wandering
Fred
Old Aug 1, 2019, 9:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by OZFLYER86
this makes perfect sense. The new A359s could easily do NAN/DFW & no one flies SIN/DFW nonstop, so perhaps FJ could offer SIN/NAN/DFW + also maybe HKG/NAN/DFW & NRT/NAN/DFW.
Unless someone were chasing FJ Tabua Club miles NRT-NAN-DFW makes no sense at all, it adds 4500 miles onto the trip on a route already served by AA and JL. Even HKG it adds quite a few miles, nearly 4k additional miles over HKG-SEA-DFW (CX/AA mix) or HKG-SFO-DFW, if one were adamant about avoiding LAX (which itself is less efficient than using SEA or SFO, but it's an AA hub so ppl going elsewhere may not need the DFW leg).
Old Aug 21, 2019, 5:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dvs7310
Unless someone were chasing FJ Tabua Club miles NRT-NAN-DFW makes no sense at all, it adds 4500 miles onto the trip on a route already served by AA and JL. Even HKG it adds quite a few miles, nearly 4k additional miles over HKG-SEA-DFW (CX/AA mix) or HKG-SFO-DFW, if one were adamant about avoiding LAX (which itself is less efficient than using SEA or SFO, but it's an AA hub so ppl going elsewhere may not need the DFW leg).
going ANYWHERE via NAN means NAN is a great stopover option.

Don't think anyone ever dies of stress in Fiji. Great place to relax.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 8:17 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Originally Posted by OZFLYER86
going ANYWHERE via NAN means NAN is a great stopover option.

Don't think anyone ever dies of stress in Fiji. Great place to relax.
how's relaxing in March? Would like a couple of days on way to Japan, but put off by likelihood of rain.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 8:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jeffrocowboy
how's relaxing in March? Would like a couple of days on way to Japan, but put off by likelihood of rain.
Rain ? It's in the tropics !!!

It rains in Fiji year round.

Generally starts at 5pm, ends at 5.30pm & then the sun comes out again.

Not a big deal.
jeffrocowboy likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
I doubt that. If they start nonstop flight from NAN-DFW. If they have enough range. They shouldn't have any issues.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

I talked more with someone from FJ today and they said that ORD, DFW, and PVG are all being worked on. The routes would not start until after the a350s arrive.
dvs7310 likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 12:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by weibelt
I talked more with someone from FJ today and they said that ORD, DFW, and PVG are all being worked on. The routes would not start until after the a350s arrive.
I think the only current 1 stop options for SYDsiders to get to ORD are via LAX, SFO, BNE(starting in April I think it is) or AKL + probably some long ways via Asia or middle east.

If you could fly SYD/NAN/ORD on same aircraft they could call it direct & much better to stop at NAN & not change aircraft or terminals, which have to do at all but AKL. The new Fiji air A350s look good.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.