Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines
Reload this Page >

How to buy this all-flights Business Class XiamenAir (MF) Europe-Asia ticket?

How to buy this all-flights Business Class XiamenAir (MF) Europe-Asia ticket?

Old Jul 27, 19, 5:31 am
  #1  
siw
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: SE England
Programs: AF-KL FB Plat.
Posts: 312
How to buy this all-flights Business Class XiamenAir (MF) Europe-Asia ticket?

ITA Matrix is giving results for Business Class Europe to Asia tickets on XiamenAir, which includes Business Class on the KLM operated flights in-to/out-of AMS. At the Business Discount ticket price (see image).

However, the XiamenAir website is giving the Business Discount ticket only with the KLM flights in Economy Class (Y). I emailed XiamenAir and the agent replied saying the all-flights Business Class ticket can be purchased at this price and the agent included a picture (presumably from their booking system) showing all 6 flights in I-class and that I must call the China phone number to book the ticket. I called the China phone number and they tell me this is not possible to buy the ticket, even though I gave them my email address and the lady said she could see the email communications. I then called the Amsterdam phone number but it seems that also re-directs the call to China and I got the same answers from a different agent.

So I am thinking that the first agent made a mistake in telling me the ticket could be purchased. However, it is confusing that they included a picture showing the 6 flights all on I-class. Moreover, it is given in ITA Matrix with the fare construction but cannot found or purchased at XiamenAir website or ticketing phone number.

Has anyone had success in buying an XiamenAir Europe-Asia with the KLM flights in Business Class? The only reason to pursue this is because: 1) I would earn an extra 20XP for my Flying Blue account and 2) will avoid the middle seat on both KLM flights since it is not possible to pick the seats at the XiamenAir or KLM websites. How can this ITA MAtrix ticket fare construction be booked?

Thanks

siw is offline  
Old Jul 27, 19, 12:40 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,210
olouie is offline  
Old Jul 27, 19, 12:45 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: LON
Programs: BAEC, Accor
Posts: 1,412
Have you tried using a travel agent that has access to the GDS? I have not used them but Propeller Travel are mentioned from the time on other forms here at FT and are generally well regarded. They do change for their service but can usually ticket stuff if you can bring it up in Matrix.
plunet is offline  
Old Jul 27, 19, 12:52 pm
  #4  
siw
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: SE England
Programs: AF-KL FB Plat.
Posts: 312
Originally Posted by olouie View Post
Thanks for the hyperlink. This gave me the options of Flight Network and Priceline. The first failed to load the ticket. But the second seems to work. Is Priceline a trusted OTA? It does not give the Fare Conditons listing the cabin classes on the flights? Also, I cannot see where to select the seats.

Last edited by siw; Jul 27, 19 at 1:08 pm
siw is offline  
Old Jul 27, 19, 1:12 pm
  #5  
siw
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: SE England
Programs: AF-KL FB Plat.
Posts: 312
Originally Posted by plunet View Post
Have you tried using a travel agent that has access to the GDS? I have not used them but Propeller Travel are mentioned from the time on other forms here at FT and are generally well regarded. They do change for their service but can usually ticket stuff if you can bring it up in Matrix.
I did telephone Trailfinders.com before making this thread but they will not book on XiamenAir and the agent had never heard of ITA Matrix.
siw is offline  
Old Jul 27, 19, 1:43 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Programs: AC E50K, AS MVP, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Delta/Marriott/SPG Plat, UA Gold
Posts: 2,224
KLM intra-Europe flights are the same between economy and business. The middle seat is blocked on a business ticket but otherwise seats are the same.
Repooc17 is offline  
Old Jul 27, 19, 10:46 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NRT / HND
Programs: UA 1K, DL PM
Posts: 4,241
Originally Posted by siw View Post
Thanks for the hyperlink. This gave me the options of Flight Network and Priceline. The first failed to load the ticket. But the second seems to work. Is Priceline a trusted OTA? It does not give the Fare Conditons listing the cabin classes on the flights? Also, I cannot see where to select the seats.
Priceline is fine, it's the same company as Kayak and Booking.com. They have been around for ages. There is an issue with them when upgrading economy flights with United GPUs, but that's neither here nor there for your situation.

Originally Posted by Repooc17 View Post
KLM intra-Europe flights are the same between economy and business. The middle seat is blocked on a business ticket but otherwise seats are the same.
It's not the same from a mileage earning perspective or even lounge access if the passenger does not have Elite Plus. Also different luggage allowance for the return flight when they have to start out on KL. So while the seat may be the same, the benefits certainly aren't.
dvs7310 is offline  
Old Jul 28, 19, 12:09 am
  #8  
siw
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: SE England
Programs: AF-KL FB Plat.
Posts: 312
I already get KLM extras for having Flying Blue Platinum status. The extra Flying Blue Miles for being in Business rather than Economy is very small. As I said, the benefit is getting 30 XP rather than 10 XP for the LHR-AMS and AMS-LHR flights. Being in Business Class does avoid getting a middle seat (let's not go into the details of the seat types) since it is not possible to select seats on the KLM flights for this ticket at either MF or KL websites.

The query is: how can I see the seat selection and check the cabin sub-booking codes in Priceline - I cannot see how this?
siw is offline  
Old Jul 28, 19, 12:22 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NRT / HND
Programs: UA 1K, DL PM
Posts: 4,241
Originally Posted by siw View Post
I already get KLM extras for having Flying Blue Platinum status. The extra Flying Blue Miles for being in Business rather than Economy is very small. As I said, the benefit is getting 30 XP rather than 10 XP for the LHR-AMS and AMS-LHR flights. Being in Business Class does avoid getting a middle seat (let's not go into the details of the seat types) since it is not possible to select seats on the KLM flights for this ticket at either MF or KL websites.

The query is: how can I see the seat selection and check the cabin sub-booking codes in Priceline - I cannot see how this?
I've never gotten anything that I wasn't supposed to from Priceline. If it says Business, I would't worry about it. But you are still given a 24 hour cancellation if it turns out not to be what you expected. Priceline isn't some shady site like eDreams or the like. Because of it's ability to have fares pushed to it (Priceline) from bookwithmatrix, many Flyertalkers have used it for booking without issue.

And regarding the benefits and luggage, that may be true in your case, but it may not be true for all people who look at this thread in the future. I was just pointing out to the other poster that the KL segment in Y is not the same as the KL segment in J, even if the seat is the same. There are benefits to non-status passengers that might make a difference. Even in your case, I'm not entirely familiar with KL's policy for status passengers, but often the luggage allowance (and therefore extra piece) is 23kg for Y and 32kg for J, so that might still be a difference, though I'm sure most people don't actually use it.
dvs7310 is offline  
Old Jul 28, 19, 12:29 am
  #10  
siw
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: SE England
Programs: AF-KL FB Plat.
Posts: 312
Originally Posted by dvs7310 View Post
I've never gotten anything that I wasn't supposed to from Priceline. If it says Business, I would't worry about it. But you are still given a 24 hour cancellation if it turns out not to be what you expected. Priceline isn't some shady site like eDreams or the like. Because of it's ability to have fares pushed to it (Priceline) from bookwithmatrix, many Flyertalkers have used it for booking without issue.

And regarding the benefits and luggage, that may be true in your case, but it may not be true for all people who look at this thread in the future. I was just pointing out to the other poster that the KL segment in Y is not the same as the KL segment in J, even if the seat is the same. There are benefits to non-status passengers that might make a difference. Even in your case, I'm not entirely familiar with KL's policy for status passengers, but often the luggage allowance (and therefore extra piece) is 23kg for Y and 32kg for J, so that might still be a difference, though I'm sure most people don't actually use it.
I made a booking but the seat are assigned at check-in using Priceline, so I cancelled and go directly with XiamenAir with Ecomony KLM flights. Thanks for the help, folks.

Last edited by siw; Jul 28, 19 at 6:19 am
siw is offline  
Old Jul 28, 19, 8:55 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,210
Originally Posted by siw View Post
I made a booking but the seat are assigned at check-in using Priceline, so I cancelled and go directly with XiamenAir with Ecomony KLM flights. Thanks for the help, folks.
You can take the ticket number or record locator and select seats in the airlines website usually. All OTAs have bad seating selection tools so i never use them for seat selection.
olouie is offline  
Old Jul 28, 19, 10:38 am
  #12  
siw
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: SE England
Programs: AF-KL FB Plat.
Posts: 312
Originally Posted by olouie View Post


You can take the ticket number or record locator and select seats in the airlines website usually. All OTAs have bad seating selection tools so i never use them for seat selection.
Too late now for me but will remember for next time. Thanks for the info.
siw is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread