FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-asian-australian-south-pacific-airlines-470/)
-   -   Transit at Cgk 2 hours enough? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-asian-australian-south-pacific-airlines/1979706-transit-cgk-2-hours-enough.html)

extremeromance Jul 23, 2019 12:41 am

Transit at Cgk 2 hours enough?

So I am flying ICN-CGK-DPS the first segment is on Korean air and the second leg is on Air Asia on a separate ticket, my Korean air flight lands at 8:30 pm and the Air Asia flight leaves at 10:35 pm. Will I have enough time to make the connection? I won't have any checked luggage. Any help or tips is greatly appreciated!

Sam Bee Jul 23, 2019 7:22 am

Ouch, it's tight.Will you have fast track for immigration on arrival? If not, be first out the plane and run past everyone else!

You have to transfer from T3 to T2. It's fortunately now a lot quicker thanks to the skytrain that connects the terminals. But it's a big old airport.

I don't transit in Jakarta, it's normally my final stop, but I have used both terminals. I often struggle to understand why sometimes in Jakarta immigration is ridiculously busy, and other times, completely dead. Why Air Asia Check In is efficient, and why sometimes, it just falls down.

Personally if you've already booked it, so be it. If you havn't, I wouldn't recommend it. I'd say you're 75% likely to make it if all runs on time. Just research what you'd do if you don't - i.e. a cheap airport hotel with bus from the airport - i.e. FM7, and then the next days flights, or which there are many.

Other people that DO transfer could probably offer better advice.

extremeromance Jul 24, 2019 7:08 pm

Thanks for your reply! I will keep everything in mind. I also might try to see if I can get one of those meet and greet type expedite services that are available in Asia.

Unionruler Jul 24, 2019 10:11 pm

+1 for exercise caution and in the ideal scenario I would cater more time. I did SIN-CGK-ICN Air Asia to KE J over a year back, the Air Asia flight arrived at one end of T3 so no terminal change, but a horrendous distance to walk nonetheless. Power walk or run I guess.

nanyang Jul 25, 2019 3:25 am

Hmmm, immigration was very busy last Wednesday when I went through around 11pm. Lots of walking too.

I wouldn't be too worried though as there are plenty of good back-up options.

If you need to stay for the night, Bandara International Hotel is fine and the shuttle takes only 5-10min.

Morning flights start at 5am, and plenty of options to choose from (Citilink / Lion Air / Garuda / Sriwijaya / Indonesia AirAsia ...). Last minute tickets are affordable / very cheap in Indonesia.

If you happen to need Visa on Arrival, the system is as follows: 1. queue to pay the fee (USD37 normally?), 2. move to the next queue which is immigration for those who have paid for VoA, 3. (after VoA immigration) follow the signs towards regular immigration desks (which you can bypass)

extremeromance Jul 25, 2019 4:00 am

I don't think I will need VOA with a US passport. Worst case I will just take a flight in the morning. Thanks guys!

nanyang Jul 26, 2019 12:29 am

Originally Posted by extremeromance (Post 31340296)
I don't think I will need VOA with a US passport. Worst case I will just take a flight in the morning. Thanks guys!

Good luck - hopefully you will catch the evening flight as scheduled.

As I understand it, visa exemption typically only covers tourism etc. Business travellers may need to pay for VoA depending on nationality. Obviously I have no idea what the rules are for US passport holders.

extremeromance Jul 29, 2019 8:25 am

Made the flight guys I thought I would put this here incase anyone is in the same predicament in the future. I was at the gate by 9:03 pm, my flight landed about ten minutes early so it took 43 minutes from leaving my Korean air flight to reaching the gate for Bali for my Air Asia flight. I was flying a premium cabin in my flight and was out quickly and immigration took about ten minutes. Overall it is a lot of walking and CGK is definitely one of the most inefficient airports I have seen except for the Skytrain which was nice.

Sam Bee Jul 29, 2019 10:11 am

Originally Posted by extremeromance (Post 31354400)
Made the flight guys I thought I would put this here incase anyone is in the same predicament in the future. I was at the gate by 9:03 pm, my flight landed about ten minutes early so it took 43 minutes from leaving my Korean air flight to reaching the gate for Bali for my Air Asia flight. I was flying a premium cabin in my flight and was out quickly and immigration took about ten minutes. Overall it is a lot of walking and CGK is definitely one of the most inefficient airports I have seen except for the Skytrain which was nice.

Well done! Jakarta airport is... well, let's say it has its charms!