Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines
Reload this Page >

Domestic China flight and infants - can I add them at the airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2019, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum

Hi There,

Main question: If I have a ticket with China and an infant daughter, and all of her paperwork like birth certificate, passport, etc, can I show up with her at the airport and pay the fees / taxes to get her added as a lap child upon arrival?

Backstory here:
I booked an award ticket via Flying Blue for myself and many family members, including my infant daughter. This ticket is XIY-PVG, and I am having a heck of a time getting my daughter officially ticketed. All of the adults are good to go, but her ticket still shows as unticketed. When I call China Eastern, they tell me that I need to split one adult off to another itinerary with just the infant, and then they can do the infant ticket. So I call Flying Blue back, ad they split us off. Now my daughter and I have a separate PNR, but Flying Blue isn't getting a China Eastern booking code for this separate PNR, just the original, and when I call China Eastern, they refuse to do anything without my giving them their PNR. I keep going back and forth between China Eastern and Flying Blue, and I'm hoping that maybe I can just stop worrying about this and pay at the airport... Help!

Thanks in advance :-).
Old Jul 16, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: AEROPLAN, SPG GOLD
No experience adding infant ticket on China Eastern but I have done it on Air China for a domestic leg. If it is anything similar, it is a hassle. I am not sure why you need a separate PNR. This might be a case of HUCA to talk to a different rep.

Now, did you call China office of China Eastern or one of its international office? I find the China office are better at helping you in these things. It would be good if you spoke Chinese of course even though they have English option I find speaking Chinese helps a lot.

In my experience to add the infant ticket to an Air China ticket, I had to email them the photo page of my passport and my infant kid. Then, since I didn't have a China issued credit card or bank card, I had to write a signed letter which I emailed them stating which flights I wanted the infant ticket added to and authorized them to charge the amount of infant ticket on my credit card and the a photocopy of the front and back of my credit card.

When I called the North American office, the price quoted for me on the infant ticket was over $200 more than price quoted through the China office number. Hence, the reason I went through the hassle.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 2:39 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive Club, Asia Miles
Just want to wish you good luck....Last year I booked points (aeroplan) which included infant. When it got to finalising the ticket the agent on the phone (complicated itinerary) told me he couldn't finalise the infant ticket and I'd have to call Air China. I did a bit of research before following thru and decided to go another route.

To answer your question - I think its risky just showing up and hoping that things can get sorted...I would recommend getting to the airport very early.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.