FJ - swapping planes

Old Jun 24, 2019, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
FJ - swapping planes

Hi all,

I am wanting to book a fare to Japan and like the look of going via Fiji (March 2020)

I note the AKL-NAN flight on Saturdays is typically a A330 - does anyone have experience or a view about how often they might swap this out for a smaller plane. I am presuming Sat is a popular travel day for people heading to Fiji.

I am keen to avoid the 737 Max which is currently scheduled between AKL-NAN (also keen to avoid 737 in general).

Many thanks
Old Jun 24, 2019, 5:27 pm

It's impossible to tell if FJ (or any airline) will switch aircraft this far out. Generally the afternoon flights are an A330 but this can change at anytime as FJ doesn't have the largest fleet so if there is an issue somewhere else then obviously it could be switched.

I've flown FJ on the A330's (Economy and Business) and the older 737's (Economy) and have had great flights every time.

Given the price it is ~$600 in Economy you're not going to get anything much cheaper or better and if you're keen to avoid aircraft swaps then you'll have to pay a little more (~$900-1000 in Economy) to fly either Qantas, Cathay or Korean Airlines (the later two having the benefit of flying to other places in Japan possible saving money on domestic travel if you're doing any).
jeffrocowboy likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Originally Posted by henrus
It's impossible to tell if FJ (or any airline) will switch aircraft this far out. Generally the afternoon flights are an A330 but this can change at anytime as FJ doesn't have the largest fleet so if there is an issue somewhere else then obviously it could be switched.

I've flown FJ on the A330's (Economy and Business) and the older 737's (Economy) and have had great flights every time.

Given the price it is ~$600 in Economy you're not going to get anything much cheaper or better and if you're keen to avoid aircraft swaps then you'll have to pay a little more (~$900-1000 in Economy) to fly either Qantas, Cathay or Korean Airlines (the later two having the benefit of flying to other places in Japan possible saving money on domestic travel if you're doing any).
thanks - yes the small fleet is also problematic

and yes price was the driver here :-)

having a few days at the beach might not be such a good idea given March is wettest month

will give some more thought, but if I go the elsewhere probably be PR and good point about flying to somewhere else rather than Tokyo (which PR does)
Old Jun 27, 2019, 11:25 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive Club, Asia Miles
I just booked FJ air and was thrilled that a few weeks later they cancelled the ADL-NAN direct route and took me off the 737 by rebooked me via Sydney (not too thrilled about the non-direct flight, but it balances out).

Everyone is different, but for me the reason we did FJ was for the couple days on the beach for free - added something extra to our holiday to North America.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 2:44 am
Original Poster

yes the couple of days at a beach was also one driver - but I am looking at March, the wettest month - so prob not a good choice

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.