FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-asian-australian-south-pacific-airlines-470/)
-   -   1 hour flight on Air China: business or economy? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-asian-australian-south-pacific-airlines/1974759-1-hour-flight-air-china-business-economy.html)

theOtherHolmes Jun 19, 2019 1:57 pm

1 hour flight on Air China: business or economy?

For the one-way flight I need, which is about 1 hour in length, the economy seat (Q) is about 850 RMB and the business seat (Z) is about 1260 RMB. We need two tickets.

It’s a narrow body plane so the seats are just a bit wider. Business class is only 8 pax.

Im tempted to book business because: 1) checking in/ luggage drop-off line is shorter; 2) it’s going to be prime travel season, I really cannot stand crowd and noise; max. 8 pax in the J cabin; 3) in the unlikely event that the flight is cancelled, hopefully we get priority in getting on the next earliest flight.

The lounge they provide is meh and I have PP so we will be covered either economy or business.

Is it worth it?

jeffrocowboy Jun 20, 2019 12:32 am

only you know if achieving 1 to 3 by paying is worth the extra cost

For me the answer would be not worth it

Sam Bee Jun 20, 2019 2:35 am

Again, it's purely a personal decision based on your personal circumstances.

I'd say 3 is not guaranteed (what if all later flights are full in J and empty in Y - ok unlikely, but nothing is definite here).

Personally i'd put the money saved by flying in Y and buy a high quality pair of noise reduction headphones so 2 never effects you ever again.

User Name Jun 20, 2019 3:11 am

The fact that you’re asking means the answer is business.

uanj Jun 20, 2019 8:16 am

Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes (Post 31219703)
For the one-way flight I need, which is about 1 hour in length, the economy seat (Q) is about 850 RMB and the business seat (Z) is about 1260 RMB. We need two tickets.

It’s a narrow body plane so the seats are just a bit wider. Business class is only 8 pax.

Im tempted to book business because: 1) checking in/ luggage drop-off line is shorter; 2) it’s going to be prime travel season, I really cannot stand crowd and noise; max. 8 pax in the J cabin; 3) in the unlikely event that the flight is cancelled, hopefully we get priority in getting on the next earliest flight.

The lounge they provide is meh and I have PP so we will be covered either economy or business.

Is it worth it?

Which airport are you departing from? At airports like CTU or PVG at peak times I would do it, you will save a lot of time using the priority security check. It would also depend on how early I could get to the airport.

travelinmanS Jun 20, 2019 9:31 pm

I've been traveling around China almost weekly for 15 years now. It is not worth it to book biz on such a short flight. Check in at the automated machines, drop off your bags and go through security. If you have Star Silver or Gold it should be even easier.

If you can't stand crowds and noise perhaps China is not the right destination for you :p

nanyang Jun 20, 2019 9:38 pm

We usually pay for J/F in China just to reduce the hassle factor a little bit. No matter how long - or short - the flight is.

Having said that, over the past 12 months have flown domestic Y a couple of times (Kunming Airlines, Xiamen Airlines) and no issues with that.

Then again, the price difference here is trivial and I would book J without thinking too much about it.

Amelorn Jun 21, 2019 5:38 pm

Interesting question.

The main advantage IMO of domestic China J is the superior ground handling. Depending on the route and airport....having the VIP minivan transfer from the tarmac to the terminal really beats being shoved into a bus that is probably carrying 150% of the legally mandated passenger maximum in the West. Whether the 400 RMB cost delta per person is worth it depends on you. Per a Dutch proverb, I cannot "look in your wallet" to make that determination.

brunos Jun 22, 2019 2:09 pm

It comes from your pocket, so you know best.
\
But for a mere CNY400, I personally would not hesitate an instant.
Y pitch is a cramped 30". Disembarking a difficult experience in the middle of Y. A 1h flight can easily mean sitting 2h from the time you board, delay,.. And F seats have a small pitch but still far better than Y and much wider. With all the benefits mentioned above (and not sure that you get a PP lounge everywhere in China), higher priority in case of irrops, etc....

moondog Jun 23, 2019 3:48 am

On my primary routes, Y costs 500, and J is 2000, so I fly Y. But, when the fare difference is only 400, I pay for J.

krispykrme Jun 25, 2019 3:35 am

If it’s less than like $600 RMB- the answer is 10000000000000000000% yes.

1. If your flight ends up getting cancelled and have to overnight. You end up getting much better hotel. This is speaking from my personal experience. Voucher is better too.

2. You do have priority in getting on to next flight. I had a CTU- SZX flight cancelled due to “weather”. CA basically gave me a ticket on CZ business class on the next flight out. None of the economy class got that benefit.

stevescott1983 Jun 27, 2019 11:22 pm

I'm a Y flyer, but over the years whenever something like this comes up (where J or even PY is so close in price) I go for it. Its fun! Bring back the enjoyment to travel :)

A big factor is (assuming you don't already have lounge access) which airport are you flying out of? If it has a good lounge OR if its a terrible airport, then being in J with lounge access is 'worth it'.

moondog Jun 28, 2019 3:04 am

Originally Posted by Amelorn (Post 31227183)
The main advantage IMO of domestic China J is the superior ground handling. Depending on the route and airport....having the VIP minivan transfer from the tarmac to the terminal really beats being shoved into a bus that is probably carrying 150% of the legally mandated .

The last bus on departure is almost always a small bus, and there is no point in boarding before final final call.

razorblade Jul 1, 2019 8:23 am

Definitely J if you can afford the 400 RMB.

Unionruler Jul 4, 2019 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes (Post 31219703)
I really cannot stand crowd and noise

I wonder how you survive even a few hours in China ;) It's pretty bad whether or not you have J perks.