Community
Wiki Posts
Search

myPALUpgrade: Post your bidding experiences here!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2019, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mabuhay Miles, Skypass, Eva Air, KrisFlyer
Philippine Airlines myPALUpgrade: Post your bidding experiences here!

This thread is for Philippine Airlines MyPALUpgrade booking class upgrade program only so we can compare successful bids:

Just like the SQ and NZ threads, lets have one for PAL to share upgrades via myPALUpgrade which uses the same system as SQ.

Bids on myPALUpgrade can be done via the above link or the email you receive sometime before the departure date. You can bid up to 36 hours before the flight date. You can also make bids for both Business and Premium Economy incase the Business bid does not get accepted.

myPALUpgrade Minimums for Economy Value rates and above:
https://www.philippineairlines.com/e...7872A2C834738F

Upgrades can also be bought at the Airport counter but they have a fixed price: https://samchui.com/wp-content/uploa...ss-Class-1.jpg

To help others get an idea of what has been approved, could you please post the following information on your bids:

1. Route (and flight number, if you want to)
2. Day of travel (Mon, Tue, Wed, etc.)
3. Booking class of original ticket booked
4. Fare / Cost of original ticket booked
5. Your bid to upgrade (Ideally in your original currency as well as USD, for better comparison's sake)
6. Success of bid: Accepted / Rejected

Last edited by kzap; Jul 17, 2019 at 12:58 am
Old Jun 16, 2019, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

1. MNLYYZ PR118
2. Tuesday
3. Economy Saver
4. 677.10 USD paid for Y fare
5. 50,155 PHP / 963 USD - Minimum Bid was 900 USD
6. Accepted

Saved about ~400 USD compared to the cheapest available Business Class fare

The Y to PY upgrade minimum bid was $430 and comes out actually more expensive if you bought a Economy Value/Flexi ticket compared to the PY fare price. So only do that if you bought a Economy Super Saver / Economy Saver fare.

The Business Class upgrade seems worth it except if you bought an Economy Flexi
Old Jun 17, 2019, 2:16 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
I check online to see how the availability of the business class seat and then bid. I have bidded on the short hauls in Asia ( International) and have got a business seat for about 100usd a couple of times. from HKG to MNL. Flight was almost empty.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 2:19 am

KZAP how would you compare BR PE to PR PE? I have not flown PR on any long routes as I fly BR from YYZ to TPE and then to MNL. If the PE seats are better than BR I will switch to PR. But I think PR is more expensive than BR.

also what fare class should I buy in PE if I plan to upgrade to business class on PR? Do they have single seats on the window in business class on PR?
Old Jul 4, 2019, 2:34 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Flew JFK-MNL-JFK on March 28-April 7th.

To MNL, had premium economy, declined the bid up to Business Class as it was the first time I flew them Internationally. Seats were good, but I had a hard time sleeping in the window seat. Checked with FA upon arrival and Business Class was only half full.
To JFK, since I had a long layover in JFK, and wanted to sleep, I placed the minimum bid available at the time of $580 per passenger which was accepted. More than I wanted to pay, but the upgrade allowed me to sleep in lie flat seats, however I did not enjoy the premium food selections on the return so I don't know what I will do next time.

I will say choosing PAL to fly directly to MNL did save me actual flight time, but to connect from FLL to JFK added an additional 6 hours w/layover on the outbound and what would have been originally 12 hours on the return which got reduced to 8 by asking Delta if there was availability on the first flight in the AM. Since I was traveling on miles on Delta, I didn't think they would allow SDC, but the flight was only half full.

I was trying to build in buffers since they were separate tickets and I didn't want to miss them in case of delays.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 1:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dav662
KZAP how would you compare BR PE to PR PE? I have not flown PR on any long routes as I fly BR from YYZ to TPE and then to MNL. If the PE seats are better than BR I will switch to PR. But I think PR is more expensive than BR.

also what fare class should I buy in PE if I plan to upgrade to business class on PR? Do they have single seats on the window in business class on PR?
I have not flown BR PE, but in PAL you can upgrade from Economy to PE or Business, so you do not need buy a PE fare just to upgrade to business.
In my calculations I only saw $20 savings upgrading from Y to PE.

The business class seats of PAL cost me $900 but was worth it, though its no SQ. The A350 that flies MNL-YYZ is a 1-2-1 configuration, the odd number rows have good privacy and the food was pretty good for me. Business class was not full flying from MNL-YYZ but on my Friday YYZ-MNL flight the plane was overbooked and people I got put on standby then got an involuntary upgrade from Y to PE so they could put me on the plane.\

I took BR PE about 10 years ago so I dont remember the experience but the PR A350 PE is in a 2-4-2 configuration and in the last row in the aisle was pretty comfortable even with the person in front leaning back and I was able to lean back sleep and get work done on the long 15 hour flight.

Its definitely more expensive as its a captive market, lots of non Filipinos also flying YYZ-MNL to connect to other countries. I may try BR in a few months and see how that goes on their 777
Old Jul 23, 2019, 9:29 pm

Thank you very much. Yes I did buy BR eventually as I needed the points and also hate MNL airport as my final destination this time is BKK. TPE is so easy to connect and there is about three hours between the connecting flights and if I miss that there is another one to BKK in about an hour later. Yes I also always try to book the last row and the aisle seat on BR in PE.
I like the bidding thing on PR. I also noticed that half the aircraft from YYZ to TPE is full of filipinos so I was guessing that the PR flight would be much more of them and always full. 500 or even 600 is a good price to fly on business class from the PE.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 11:04 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
I received an email 4 months after the upgrade sending me a receipt of my upgrade charges. I scrambled thinking PAL charged me again as I had gotten the confirmation at the time of flight of my upgrade. I sent an email to PAL about the delay... still no response one week later.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 5:21 pm

PAL is a bit of a mess in most senses. It is so difficult to do anything done. If you buy your ticket online then it is difficult to get any changes done unless you call their reservations.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 11:16 am

Programs: Mosaic, AsiaMiles, Mabuhay, Alaska
Hello. I'm thinking of making a bid to J from a pair of saver economy tickets. Flight is from MNL > LAX during the last week of October. The minimum bid is $920. I don't plan to bid above that. What are the chances of scoring the upgrade?
Old Jul 31, 2023, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Does anyone know if the fare has to be purchased from PAL to be eligible to bid for upgrade? or can an online agency like Orbitz be eligible, too?
Old Oct 15, 2023, 8:03 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, EY, Krisflyer
Originally Posted by Davvidd
I check online to see how the availability of the business class seat and then bid. I have bidded on the short hauls in Asia ( International) and have got a business seat for about 100usd a couple of times. from HKG to MNL. Flight was almost empty.
How to check the seat availability online? I am planning to bid to upgrade from Economy to Business. Upgrade is for PR211
Old Oct 17, 2023, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by WGBoy
How to check the seat availability online? I am planning to bid to upgrade from Economy to Business. Upgrade is for PR211
Try to book a new business seat without going to the payment page. It will give you how many seats are available in business class. Might be fully open or say only 3 seats available.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 5:37 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, EY, Krisflyer
Thanks Davvidd. Have placed a bid. Will let know how the upgrade goes.

Current Biz fare is USD 3k+

Last edited by WGBoy; Oct 17, 2023 at 5:39 pm Reason: Added current Biz fare
Old Oct 18, 2023, 9:24 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles & Smiles
I got MNL-DOH for the minimum bid earlier this year on a ticket bought through AMEX and priced in GBP (the upgrade was also priced in GBP). It was something like 380GBP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.