Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines
Reload this Page >

When does AirAsia weigh your carry on: At check-in or before boarding?

Old May 30, 19, 1:13 am
Original Poster

This is just ridiculous. It looks like Air Asia is enforcing 7kg on BOTH your rollerboard and your personal item.

Does anyone know *WHEN* do they weigh your carry on? Is it when you check-in your luggage or when you board?

For example, I flew another crappy Asian airline, EVA Air, and they weighed my check-in and my rollerboard when I checked-in my luggage. But their 7kg was for the luggage and not the personal item, so I was ok with that.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Jun 1, 19 at 6:46 am Reason: Remove hidden expletive
Old May 30, 19, 2:25 am

Programs: asia miles
I use AK and FD quite a bit and the only place where they sometimes check my hand luggage is in HKG. They weigh it when I check in. Besides they never asked me.
Old May 30, 19, 4:59 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Originally Posted by Rommie2k6 View Post
This is just ridiculous. It looks like Air Asia is enforcing 7kg on BOTH your rollerboard and your personal item.

Does anyone know *WHEN* do they weigh your carry on? Is it when you check-in your luggage or when you board?

For example, I flew another crappy Asian airline, EVA Air, and they weighed my check-in and my rollerboard when I checked-in my luggage. But their 7kg was for the luggage and not the personal item, so I was ok with that.
I've had it weighed at check-in in Penang. And had to pay additional monies...

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Jun 1, 19 at 6:46 am
Old May 30, 19, 6:23 pm

Programs: Enrich

Well, they do follow the rules.

"The total permitted weight for two (2) pieces must not exceed 7kg."

https://www.airasia.com/vn/en/baggag...n-baggage.page

Depending on how you define personal items. Airlines some times just let you pass thru does not mean that you are entitle to. But if they enforce what the rule has been said, then they still right. And EVA air still better than many airlines and they do stated that you are limited to 7kg carry on.

https://www.evaair.com/en-global/managing-your-trip/baggage-information/special-baggage/

Why they really enforce in check in? Because:

A. Passenger will buy more items in duty and it will end up become 20kg carry on
B. Some passenger tend to bring 5000kgs of items going home, so they carry the 4880kg of luggage as carry on. Trust me, especially those people who had to work as oversea labor to feed their family.
C. Some just refuse to check in the oversize small luggage even though they don't need to pay for check in luggage
4sallypat likes this.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Jun 1, 19 at 6:46 am
Old May 31, 19, 3:46 pm

Programs: SPG, HH, IHG, BA, DL
Originally Posted by dici View Post
.....Passenger will buy more items in duty and it will end up become 20kg carry on....
This is so true!
After security, I hit the duty free shops and pick up 2L liquor and lots of other stuff making the carry on about double or triple the weight I started at checkin...
Old Jun 1, 19, 6:24 am

For example, I flew another crappy Asian airline, EVA Air
I'm not sure what you have against EVA, I've flown them many times and they are just fine.
Philodemus and plunet like this.
Old Jun 2, 19, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It appears that you don't like their rules, but they are fully disclosed in advance. Are you seriously irritated because they are actually enforced?
4sallypat and Productivity like this.
Old Jun 8, 19, 12:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
It appears that you don't like their rules, but they are fully disclosed in advance. Are you seriously irritated because they are actually enforced?
I think a large portion of the flying public is quite annoyed by an enforced 7kg carry on limit, regardless of being published or not. It's an absurd limit, you can pretty much have a standard size carry on rollaboard and only be able to put a few pairs of sock and underwear at that weight. If Air Asia is counting the personal item in this, that makes it even more unreasonable since a PC with charger weighs a couple kilos all by itself, without a case or any other accessories.

I've generally been quite lucky with this, only had Jetstar (Singapore) and CI (ex-MNL) check before. ET tried back when they had the 767s, but seemingly didn't care how many pieces you had, so long as none were over 7kg each, so I broke it out in several pieces to get past the checkers and put it all back together inside the gate area. (that was ex-BKK, the one and only time I've seen ET bat an eye).
fairhsa likes this.
Old Jun 9, 19, 7:00 am
Fyd

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat
AirAsia has a very strict carry-on policy. I've seen it enforced at check-in and a few times just before security where they either "eyeball" the luggage or even have a scale...
If I know I have more than 7kg, I consider it prior to buying a ticket and often Scoot, CebuPacific or Jetstar offer a better deal when considering luggage fees...
Old Jun 9, 19, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dvs7310 View Post
I think a large portion of the flying public is quite annoyed by an enforced 7kg carry on limit, regardless of being published or not. It's an absurd limit, you can pretty much have a standard size carry on rollaboard and only be able to put a few pairs of sock and underwear at that weight. If Air Asia is counting the personal item in this, that makes it even more unreasonable since a PC with charger weighs a couple kilos all by itself, without a case or any other accessories.

I've generally been quite lucky with this, only had Jetstar (Singapore) and CI (ex-MNL) check before. ET tried back when they had the 767s, but seemingly didn't care how many pieces you had, so long as none were over 7kg each, so I broke it out in several pieces to get past the checkers and put it all back together inside the gate area. (that was ex-BKK, the one and only time I've seen ET bat an eye).
I personally love the 7 kg rule, and wish more airlines adopted it, because it facilitates fast boarding and deplaning.
jeffrocowboy likes this.
Old Jun 9, 19, 11:40 pm

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
I have the same question re MIAT (mongolian airlines) because their's is only 5kg which is basically the weight of some trolleys without anything in side them! Luckily I have a very very light trolley which weighs only 1kg, but that still does not leave much for the actual contents. It sounds like the OP is asking a very sensible question.
Old Jun 9, 19, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fairhsa View Post
I have the same question re MIAT (mongolian airlines) because their's is only 5kg which is basically the weight of some trolleys without anything in side them! Luckily I have a very very light trolley which weighs only 1kg, but that still does not leave much for the actual contents. It sounds like the OP is asking a very sensible question.
Air Asia's planes have luggage compartments that they encourage us to use. Tony F and I discussed this topic several years ago. He's not trying to be mean to HBO people, but likes ontime flights.
​​​​​
Old Jun 17, 19, 2:42 am

Programs: QR, AC, EVA, UL and PAL
I fly EVA PE a lot and yes they weigh my hand luggage all the time and put a tag on it. Then I show them my laptop case and they say no problems and never weight it. I do not think EVA is that strict with the carry on but as other have said I have seen a lot of stuff that I was surprised that got through check in and even the gate coming on to the aircraft.
ON the other hand Cebu Pacific would not let me take my hand luggage saying it is too heavy. Why it was heavy was I had put my jacket inside. So I had to remove the darn thing and wear it until I got through security and then put it back in my hand luggage. Cebu Pacific was checking just before you go to immigration and security.

Search this Thread