USM to BKK on Bangkok Air

Old May 28, 19, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

USM to BKK on Bangkok Air

We are looking at staying at a resort on Ko Samui island and wondering how we should address our flight/journey back home (to USA) from BKK which departs early on 26 December at 12:50 AM local time. Essentially I am curious how dependable these Bangkok Air flights would be. If I take the last flight from USM to BKK (which according to google is 2:40 PM that day) on 25 December is it safe enough to pull off with our international flight later that next evening (early morning) or should we play it even safer and get a hotel near the airport and leave a day prior to head back BKK and spend the night there. Essentially since this would not be booked as part of our flight home, I would hate to risk a severe delay or worse a cancellation. I realize there is more than enough time for us to recheck at BKK (assuming everything is on time) but I am just curious on your thoughts. Thanks!
Old May 28, 19, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I definitely prefer Samui to Bangkok, but that eight hour layover would prompt me to fly the day before,
Old May 29, 19, 12:30 am

Programs: SQ PPS
What I've done a number of times is to get a day room at Novotel Suvarnabhumi (they have a shuttle but you can also walk over from the terminal - around 10min through the basement level).

Given the late departure, probably would need to pay for 1 night. Prices are usually pretty decent in my books.

You can also just pay to use the gym (incl. pool). Can't remember the price, but I thought it was a good deal.

As for USM-BKK, I've only done this once and the flight was on time. I've never had issues going through BKK on separate tickets. Everything has always worked well (whether it's been 2-3h between flights or more).
Old May 29, 19, 2:29 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
There's a full range of Bangkok Airways flights on Christmas Day - i.e. 2 an hour until PG 962 at 21:50 so not sure where google is pulling up info from that last flight is at 14:50?

Generally they are very reliable, and have enough alternative flights in case of issues - about 25 daily flights. What does cause insufferable delays is occasional haze or flooding. You're unlikely to get the former then, but the latter is a possibility as you're not completely out of rainy season - last new year you got the tail end of a typhoon that impacted flights.

So ,my first question is - Bangkok Airways codeshare with almost every airline going - is getting one through ticket an option? If not, my experience on the route is that you're just as likely to get a 24 hour delay than a 4 hour one (all or nothing...), so i'd probably just get a midday flight and get a day room at one of the multiple hotels with a pool 10 minutes from the airport with a free shuttle bus (Novotel if money is no problem - it's vastly overpriced for what it is, the price of being attached to the airport).
Old May 29, 19, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sam Bee View Post
There's a full range of Bangkok Airways flights on Christmas Day - i.e. 2 an hour until PG 962 at 21:50 so not sure where google is pulling up info from that last flight is at 14:50?

Generally they are very reliable, and have enough alternative flights in case of issues - about 25 daily flights. What does cause insufferable delays is occasional haze or flooding. You're unlikely to get the former then, but the latter is a possibility as you're not completely out of rainy season - last new year you got the tail end of a typhoon that impacted flights.

So ,my first question is - Bangkok Airways codeshare with almost every airline going - is getting one through ticket an option? If not, my experience on the route is that you're just as likely to get a 24 hour delay than a 4 hour one (all or nothing...), so i'd probably just get a midday flight and get a day room at one of the multiple hotels with a pool 10 minutes from the airport with a free shuttle bus (Novotel if money is no problem - it's vastly overpriced for what it is, the price of being attached to the airport).
To answer your first question, we booked the business class flights via saver award space a few months ago, and at the time we just wanted "get there and home" so to speak. Now that we are looking at our plans, I would have looked for flights including that leg. We also wanted to have flexibility with these cheap domestic flights once we are there.

A couple things to add:

- We do have Priority Pass lounge access, so if we did have to spend a significant amount of time at BKK, we would have lounges to go to at least.
- I booked flight taxes and fees with CSP, which from what I read would cover an unforeseen interruption in travel plans (correct me if I am wrong).

Thank you for sharing the idea of getting a day room as well, that is a good option especially if we can go to a pool or relax outside.
Old Jun 2, 19, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by dtm1017 View Post
To answer your first question, we booked the business class flights via saver award space a few months ago, and at the time we just wanted "get there and home" so to speak. Now that we are looking at our plans, I would have looked for flights including that leg. We also wanted to have flexibility with these cheap domestic flights once we are there.

A couple things to add:

- We do have Priority Pass lounge access, so if we did have to spend a significant amount of time at BKK, we would have lounges to go to at least.
- I booked flight taxes and fees with CSP, which from what I read would cover an unforeseen interruption in travel plans (correct me if I am wrong).

Thank you for sharing the idea of getting a day room as well, that is a good option especially if we can go to a pool or relax outside.
There are like 8 PG flights between 6:30pm and 9:50pm that would be convenient to connect to your longhaul.
To me, it makes little sense to spend a day in BKK. Most of pax from USM will connect to a longhaul flight and those PG (they own the airport) flights are like a shuttle.
If you are very risk-averse, I would book a flight around 7pm. If your flight is cancelled , there should be no problem accommodating you on a later flight, especially on Xmas day.
Old Jun 3, 19, 8:42 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Gold; Skymiles Platinum
I recently flew KUL-USM-KUL, the flight to Koh Samui was almost empty, but they still flew it. The flight back was full. Not a problem. The plane's are older than dirt, but got me from point A to point B safely. USM is one of their hubs, so even if there's a issue getting you to BKK, they can route you through another airport like Phuket. I think you'll be fine. When I flew USM-KUL, I was connecting on to an MU flight to PVG that departed at 1:50am, by Bangkok flight was the last/only flight to KUL and I wasn't worried. Granted, I think this is a matter of your tolerance for risk. Mine was quite high. Worst case, you miss your flight home. Then what? Do you have the stomach to fight and get the airline to get you back to the US? Or, more likely, the weather in Koh Samui is so good you only need to worry about a mechanical delay or bad weather in BKK, which is unlikely.

Search this Thread