Garuda downgrade domestic economy service

Old May 20, 19, 2:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, GA PLAT, SQ Gold
Garuda downgrade domestic economy service

Flew this morning from Jakarta to Semarang, noticed that Garuda have downgraded the economy service.

1) All Seat back TV removed hence no IFE
2) Drinks service only offer Bottled Water
3) Food served was bread all and bag of peanuts
4) Business Class Lounge has all food removed , you have to go next door to the "Gold Lounge"

Considering Garuda is only selling full fare Y class tickets on the majority of routes, which are not cheap by Indonesian standards.

Does not really matter on the short hop to Semarang but i wouldn't be happy with the service downgrade on a longer flight.
Old May 21, 19, 12:24 am

Haven't flew Garuda for maybe a year, but as long as I knew:

1) you might happen to get their older version of 737, their newest batch 800-NG certainly have IFE installed. haven't heard of them removing it
2) looks like this was a cut indeed
3) it's always snack of breads and nuts in their sub 100 minutes flight (afaik), hot meals served on longer flights
4) haven't been STE/STE+ for long time, so can't comment on this. maybe it's due to Ramadan, but I think it shouldn't

Regarding the full Y fare, it became huge furore among the people, as the promo/fixed fare no longer available on domestic leg.
Old May 21, 19, 12:40 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hyatt Plat
I fly GA frequently on the CGK-PER-CGK route. The only reason I take GA is the timing of the flights and the availability of non-stop flights, otherwise I will definitely take SQ.

GA removed the Friday flights in March, reinstated it for half of April, removed it again in May, and reinstated this week for the start of mass exodus of people going on holiday for Ramadan.
The FAs tell me that exact amount of meals are loaded on these flights, and I could not even get an extra packet of peanuts lol.

Very clear that they cannot fill to capacity on normal days as the flight I took last week were 48/150 in Y and 10/12 in C, and return was 88/150 in Y and 8/12 in C.
Old May 22, 19, 1:56 pm
Ritz-Carlton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX MPC Diamond, BAEC Gold
I agree with Blue Ferrari, you've most likely ended up on an older 737NG which was never refitted with IFE.

Again, in regards to food, pax on CGK to SRG was never served hot food, as it's a 70 minute flight. Flights over 90 minutes would get hot meals afaik. This is the same with CGK to JOG and other Central Javan destinations as well as TKG.

Finally, I really am confused, why does Garuda only sell full flex Y these days on almost all domestic routes?? I've been looking for flights to DPS for the next few months, and they're all in excess of Rp. 3.8 mil return! For that price a couple years ago, you could've gotten 2 passengers from CGK-DPS return.
Old May 22, 19, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by clubeurope View Post
I agree with Blue Ferrari, you've most likely ended up on an older 737NG which was never refitted with IFE.

Again, in regards to food, pax on CGK to SRG was never served hot food, as it's a 70 minute flight. Flights over 90 minutes would get hot meals afaik. This is the same with CGK to JOG and other Central Javan destinations as well as TKG.

Finally, I really am confused, why does Garuda only sell full flex Y these days on almost all domestic routes?? I've been looking for flights to DPS for the next few months, and they're all in excess of Rp. 3.8 mil return! For that price a couple years ago, you could've gotten 2 passengers from CGK-DPS return.
Part of the reason why my partner and I have not been to Bali in almost 5 years because prices have just skyrocketed.

There was a big issue about domestic airfares reported in the news the past 2 months and GA/other carriers seem to have lowered their fares, by $20 each way to accommodate the new lowered price ceilings as mandated by the government.

I think the closest flight to have a hot meal would be to SUB. I flew CGK-SRG and CGK-TKG and was only given a box of snack which was 1 plastic cup of water and 1 bread and maybe something else.
Old May 25, 19, 2:52 am

Programs: SQ AA TK
Well. As others have pointed out, Garuda all along had a small fleet of 737 without IFE. The good thing is that they have tried to keep them on domestic runs.

For food, I frequent CGK-JOG, and its a box. Bread, Water and something else. Never really bothered with it though as good food is cheap in Indonesia.

For lounge, there was a recent policy change about lounge access. Might have something to do with that. I'm E+ on DL, so only get lounge access on international. No idea about domestic lounges

Well, at least CGK-JOG is 1.2mil consistently whether it is 1 day before or 1 month before.
Old May 28, 19, 5:48 am

Programs: SQ PPS
Originally Posted by clubeurope View Post

I assume the answer is that someone thought Garuda cannot have RASK < CASK in the domestic market forever.

4Q 2018 presentation highlights this problem (slide: Domestic Market Starts to Improve...)

1Q 2019 presentation is interesting as well

https://www.garuda-indonesia.com/sg/...on/index.page?

Search this Thread