Air Asia Aggravation [Seats]

Old May 16, 2019, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Air Asia Aggravation [Seats]

I'm really frustrated right now. I just booked a flight on Air Asia's website (SIN-KUL; Oct 17) and paid extra to select seat 1F, but was automatically assigned seat 19D according to my email confirmation.
So, I logged into Air Asia's website and navigated to "my bookings". Sure enough, I'm assigned seat 19D, even though my booking confirmation specifically lists that I paid extra to select my seat!

I tried calling Air Asia's U.S. phone number, which is supposed open Mon-Fri 9am to 6pm. I called them at 9:46am (EST), but got a recorded message stating that they're only available from 9am to 6pm.
OK, fine. I guess they meant their local time.

Anyone else have an issue like mine?
Can I change my seat assignment online? I don't see any option to do that.
Suggestions?

Last edited by joer1212; May 17, 2019 at 9:08 pm
Old May 16, 2019, 12:05 pm

If you log in to “my bookings”, you can change your seat.
rushjc likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by camsean
If you log in to “my bookings”, you can change your seat.
Yes, you can, if you pay for it again. It's not like on other airlines, where you can change your seat at will.
Old May 16, 2019, 8:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by joer1212

I tried calling Air Asia's U.S. phone number, which is supposed open Mon-Fri 9am to 6pm. I called them at 9:46am (EST), but got a recorded message stating that they're only available from 9am to 6pm.
Just call their Malaysia number.
Old May 16, 2019, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
Just call their Malaysia number.
I ended up paying again and took a photo of the seat confirmation page (it wasn't that expensive and I didn't want to deal with the hassle of calling). But, I never received an email confirmation. Also, when I refreshed the page and double-checked my booking, the old seat (the one I was assigned, not the one I paid for) was still there!
At this point, I give up. I'm just going to print out the seat confirmation page (that I took a photo of) and present it on board if there are any problems getting what I paid for (TWICE-- I can't believe they even made me do it. They should be issuing me a refund. Total incompetence).
Old May 16, 2019, 9:12 pm

Programs: Enrich
I'm really frustrated right now. I just booked a flight on Air Asia's website (SIN-KUL; Oct 17) and paid extra to select seat 1F, but was automatically assigned seat 19D according to my email confirmation.
So, I logged into Air Asia's website and navigated to "my bookings". Sure enough, I'm assigned seat 19D, even though my booking confirmation specifically lists that I paid extra to select my seat!

I'm not optimistic that my issue will be resolved, even if I manage to get in touch with Air Asia's hotline, as it's abundantly clear that these people are incompetent.

Anyone else have an issue like mine?
Can I change my seat assignment online? I don't see any option to do that.
Suggestions?

Try their facebook or malaysia number.

For call center, it is GMT-10, so definitely not EST time 9am to 6pm. More likely is PST 9 to 6 or something...
Old May 16, 2019, 9:16 pm

Programs: QF WP
At this point, I give up. I'm just going to print out the seat confirmation page (that I took a photo of) and present it on board if there are any problems getting what I paid for (TWICE-- I can't believe they even made me do it. They should be issuing me a refund. Total incompetence).
Leaving it to be sorted out on board has got “bad idea” written all over it
etiene, MSPeconomist and fairhsa like this.

Last edited by nancypants; May 16, 2019 at 9:24 pm
Old May 16, 2019, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have the fees for the 2 seat selections appeared on your credit card?
You could (later) dispute with the credit card.
Old May 16, 2019, 9:43 pm

I ended up paying again and took a photo of the seat confirmation page (it wasn't that expensive and I didn't want to deal with the hassle of calling). But, I never received an email confirmation. Also, when I refreshed the page and double-checked my booking, the old seat (the one I was assigned, not the one I paid for) was still there!
Why didn't you just wait to sort it out over the phone? Your flight isn't until October, for goodness sake!
nancypants and etiene like this.
Old May 16, 2019, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nancypants

Leaving it to be sorted out on board has got “bad idea” written all over it
I just realized that he meant on board the plane.

"Bad Idea"... That might be the understatement of the year.
nancypants and MSPeconomist like this.
Old May 16, 2019, 11:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Please follow the redirect as we relocate your query.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old May 17, 2019, 2:36 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by VegasGambler

my boss told me I should be more diplomatic/less aggressive in my approach 😉
Old May 17, 2019, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by nancypants
my boss told me I should be more diplomatic/less aggressive in my approach 😉
Haha. My boss often tells me the same thing, but usually in the context of dealing with taxi drivers. He claims that they have pretty much nothing to lose by slugging me.
nancypants and MSPeconomist like this.
Old May 17, 2019, 5:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VegasGambler

Sorry, I actually meant at check in, not "on board" the plane.
Old May 17, 2019, 5:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Have the fees for the 2 seat selections appeared on your credit card?
You could (later) dispute with the credit card.
I checked this morning, and no, they haven't.
I also logged into my Air Asia account, and my purchases aren't listed there either (other than my flight).
So, I'm still left with the seat they assigned me-- 19D (instead of 1F). It appears to be permanent, kind of like the alien spacecraft in Independence Day, which survives every attack, including a nuclear detonation.
It looks like I'm forced to call Air Asia after all, even though I'm not particularly optimistic of the outcome.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.