China Southern long layover in Vancouver BC

Old May 8, 19, 11:33 am
Original Poster

China Southern long layover in Vancouver BC

I am flying from USA to Phucket on China Southern and have a 13 hour long layover in Vancouver BC during night. I am a US Citizen and was wondering if I can get out of Vancouver airport and book a hotel near airport to sleep during night. Does anyone have experience with it? I called China Southern and they were not much helpful. Thanks in advance!
Old May 8, 19, 3:16 pm

Location: UA 1K, AC 50K MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat with Ambassador
I don't see any reason why you could not exit the airport. This is not like CX where you're confined to a transit lounge for a short 1 hour stopover. Of course you'd have to enter Canada which isn't a problem if you're a US citizen. Plenty of airport hotels or take the Skytrain to downtown Vancouver. There's also a hotel connected to the U.S. departures terminal building if you want something really close.
Old May 9, 19, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fatbatua View Post
I am flying from USA to Phucket on China Southern and have a 13 hour long layover in Vancouver BC during night. I am a US Citizen and was wondering if I can get out of Vancouver airport and book a hotel near airport to sleep during night. Does anyone have experience with it? I called China Southern and they were not much helpful. Thanks in advance!
Where does CZ fly from the USA to YVR?
Old May 10, 19, 9:48 am

Location: UA 1K, AC 50K MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat with Ambassador
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
Where does CZ fly from the USA to YVR?
I assume the OP meant he's flying the N.American sector with a CZ code-share partner such as AA.
Old May 12, 19, 8:33 pm

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
Yes you can.

Originally Posted by fatbatua View Post
I flew from the U.S. to YVR to catch a flight to Asia. I flew in on a U.S. airline and out on China Airlines. I had a long layover in YVR. If you are doing similar, you, like me, will enter Canada and go through passport control and pick up your luggage. You will depart for Asia out of a different area 13 hours later.

Several times when Iíve had long layovers I chose to stay at the Fairmont Hotel which is inside the terminal very close to where the U.S. flights depart. One neat thing is that the hotel rooms have videos of the airport gates and runways. Iíve also stayed at nearby AirBNBs and either taken a taxi or the the train to the area of the AirBNB. There is a train station in the terminal.

Keep in in mind that you may need to check in to the airline taking you to Asia and check your bag ang go through security and such.

You can can do a search for the YVR terminal maps that will help you see whatíre things are.

Search this Thread