FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-asian-australian-south-pacific-airlines-470/)
-   -   Air China, 12+ layover in PEK, will luggage get checked through to final destination? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-asian-australian-south-pacific-airlines/1967292-air-china-12-layover-pek-will-luggage-get-checked-through-final-destination.html)

Flyinglisa Apr 28, 2019 10:12 am

Air China, 12+ layover in PEK, will luggage get checked through to final destination?

Flying DPS - SIN - PEK - JFK

The layover in PEK is 12 hrs, 40 min.
Never occurred to me that I'd have to pick up my luggage in PEK (at 1am) then re-check in the next day... will I?

Does Air China have a rule about this?

Thanks for any info.

FlyerTalker688786 Apr 28, 2019 2:49 pm

If SIN PEK and then PEK JFK both is on Air China, you do not need to pick up the luggage.

But I am not sure about DPS SIN sector.

Flyinglisa Apr 28, 2019 8:46 pm

Great news, thank you!

Yes, SIN - PEK - JFK is all with Air China

The first leg is with Singapore Air, but the whole ticket is issued through Aeroplan as one itinerary and typically bags go straight through.

I was concerned on this one bc an Aeroplan agent seemed to think she “knew” that one MUST collect luggage when there’s such a long layover.
When I questioned her on this, she asked “well, what will they do with your bags for 13 hours?”

i told old her I really didn’t care so long as they eventually put them on my fight to JFK....

Flyinglisa Apr 28, 2019 10:48 pm

Unfortunately, the Aeroplan agent might be correct.

To confirm I called Air China.
They tell me I must collect the bags in PEK. My flight “does not have check through service.”

She said because the fight goes to America AND because the layover is more than 12 hours, I must collect the bags.

The search for another flight resumes... ugh.

TPJ Apr 29, 2019 5:54 am

Originally Posted by Flyinglisa (Post 31047390)
U
They tell me I must collect the bags in PEK. My flight “does not have check through service.”

She said because the fight goes to America AND because the layover is more than 12 hours, I must collect the bags.

The search for another flight resumes... ugh.

Unless this is the US thing, I was able to check the baggage through with transit time longer than 12 hours.

I would try try to ask SQ to check it through to NYC and wait what happens in PEK. As this is your return trip there is a limited risk. If they lose your baggage you will get it on the following day. But of course you may have another opinion :)

BTW... Today this is my 4th response to a CA query. Shouldn't we have a separate CA (or at least PRC) sub-forum...

Flyinglisa Apr 29, 2019 6:53 am

It is rather odd...

I'll certainly double check when I start the (looooong) journey with SQ.

Deltus Apr 29, 2019 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by TPJ (Post 31048073)
Shouldn't we have a separate CA (or at least PRC) sub-forum...

Isn't that what this one is for? https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china-613/

exwannabe Apr 29, 2019 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by Flyinglisa (Post 31048244)
It is rather odd...

I'll certainly double check when I start the (looooong) journey with SQ.

That is all you can do, Try to convince the SQ agent to through check it. Rules do not matter, all that counts is how they tag it.

Try to convince them, but be prepared to lug the bags if need be. You might want to be prepared and locate luggage lockers at PEK in advance.

Flyinglisa Apr 29, 2019 7:25 pm

Ok - will do!

Thanks!

FlyerTalker688786 Apr 30, 2019 10:38 am

Originally Posted by Flyinglisa (Post 31050644)
Ok - will do!

Thanks!

I have been flying from Europe to Australia with Air China and the layout on the outbound is 13 hours 40 mins. Have no problem with through check-in of bags. Arrive 11:25am in the morning and leave 01:05am the next day.

If SQ can not through check the bag to the final destination, ask them to check to Singapore only (if you have more than 3 hours in Singapore otherwise don't bother). in Singapore there is Air China transfer check in desk where they would be able to pick the bag for you and recheck for you.

Also call Air China in advance to make inquire about transit hotel. If your ticket is issued by Air China, you should be able to get a free transit hotel. Otherwise you will have to stay in airside until your next flight.

Good luck.

moondog Apr 30, 2019 3:51 pm

Based on accounts in the TWOV thread, for layovers greater than 8 hours, most of the immigration people will have mercy on you, and let you out, but this is a YMMV situation. My advice is to book (but, not pay for) a hotel, print out the confirmation, and show it to them. Obviously, if CA books it, your odds are better. I couldn't fathom spending 12 hours in the terminal.

Flyinglisa Apr 30, 2019 7:00 pm

My layover in SIN is only 3 hours - so I won't be dealing with the luggage then.

Here was my original plan / thinking. Thoughts?

I specifically chose this flight combination with a 13 hour layover in PEK over another combination that had a 8 hour layover in SIN, then another 7.5 layover in PEK.
My thinking was / is that 13 hours of uninterrupted time is better - I land at midnight and have booked a room at the Hilton at the airport. My onward flight to JFK is at 1pm.
When I made this plan, it never occurred to me that I'd have to wait for my luggage and re-check it all in the next day.
But even if that is the case, I'm really only losing an hour or so waiting for the luggage, right?
I still have to arrive the next morning early enough to check in, security, etc etc, with or without luggage.

On my final CA flight to JFK, I'll be in F if that helps things at the airport for check-in?

Flyinglisa Apr 30, 2019 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 31053922)
Based on accounts in the TWOV thread, for layovers greater than 8 hours, most of the immigration people will have mercy on you, and let you out, but this is a YMMV situation. My advice is to book (but, not pay for) a hotel, print out the confirmation, and show it to them. Obviously, if CA books it, your odds are better. I couldn't fathom spending 12 hours in the terminal.

Not sure I understand this...
Why wouldn't I be allowed out of the airport?
No need for a visa for under a few days, right?

This is sounding worse and worse and super-confusing.

moondog Apr 30, 2019 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by Flyinglisa (Post 31054434)
Not sure I understand this...
Why wouldn't I be allowed out of the airport?
No need for a visa for under a few days, right?

This is sounding worse and worse and super-confusing.

I predict that you WILL be allowed out of the airport, especially since your layover is at night, is 12 hours, and you have the Hilton booked. That having been said, there are no guarantees these days unless you have a visa.

Flyinglisa Apr 30, 2019 7:57 pm

Ok thanks - got it.

I am now, in earnest, looking for another flight combo that does not include PEK...