Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines
Reload this Page >

Air China, 12+ layover in PEK, will luggage get checked through to final destination?

Air China, 12+ layover in PEK, will luggage get checked through to final destination?

Old Apr 30, 19, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flyinglisa View Post
Ok thanks - got it.

I am now, in earnest, looking for another flight combo that does not include PEK...
While I also dislike PEK connections, I fear that I have overscared you. Basically, the border control people might be highly regimented, but most of them still have common sense. Look at it this way, a day time layover between 9a and 5p MIGHT be hard to justify, but I would still try hard. But, a night time layover, with a confirmed hotel reservation is a different story. The border control people don't sleep overnight in the terminal, and wouldn't expect you to. I have a very high degree of confidence that you will be fine, but not a 100% guarantee (i.e. I'll go with 95%).
Old Apr 30, 19, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Hah!
Ok thanks. I like those odds.

Though, I like them even better if PEK is not involved at all...
Old May 1, 19, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
Hah!
Ok thanks. I like those odds.

Though, I like them even better if PEK is not involved at all...
I've connected through Beijing's T3 with Air China 4 times in the last couple of weeks. It's pretty awful, worse at night, and not a place I'd aim to spend more than 2 hours: lounge access helps, but really not much...

I used the free-visa set up on one transfer. The immigration folk were good humoured but sticklers. The queue moved very slowly. DO arm yourself with print outs of hotel reservation and trip itinerary. Make sure the hotel res includes a phone number: for some reason mine didn't, which turned out to be A Problem, solved when the agent relented and looked it up on his phone.

I was asked why so many visas for Turkey. The glib answer that I go there a lot was accepted
Old May 1, 19, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for the info. As ever, flyertalk to the rescue!

I believe I have successfully re-routed myself to avoid PEK...
Old May 1, 19, 1:15 pm

Programs: BAEC, Accor
Thank you all for the info. As ever, flyertalk to the rescue!

I believe I have successfully re-routed myself to avoid PEK...
Gosh, no sense of adventure #grin #
​​​​And of course thanks to FT, informed adventure.
Flyinglisa and Dhamal like this.
Old May 1, 19, 4:24 pm

Programs: United Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
I just booked an Air China ticket that's similar to the above for my wife and I: BUD-PEK-SYD. It arrives in PEK at 12:35 PM and leaves at 1:10 AM. I was wondering the same about checked bags. I'm entirely on Air China, so if the above comments are correct, it sounds like we should be able to have our luggage checked through.

Now for the question: I searched and found a number of "layover tours" available for people connecting in Beijing. I thought one of these might make sense if the timing works out. Does anyone have any experience with these?
Old May 1, 19, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER View Post
I just booked an Air China ticket that's similar to the above for my wife and I: BUD-PEK-SYD. It arrives in PEK at 12:35 PM and leaves at 1:10 AM. I was wondering the same about checked bags. I'm entirely on Air China, so if the above comments are correct, it sounds like we should be able to have our luggage checked through.

Now for the question: I searched and found a number of "layover tours" available for people connecting in Beijing. I thought one of these might make sense if the timing works out. Does anyone have any experience with these?
Beijing is pretty easy to do on your own. That having been said, an official tour might increase your odds of being allowed to leave the airport (not an issue if you have a visa).
BBSHOPSINGER likes this.
Old May 1, 19, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA gold, DL Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by IAN-UK View Post
I was asked why so many visas for Turkey. The glib answer that I go there a lot was accepted
So Turkish visa is not a problem any more? My first transit through PEK is coming up later this month, and I have one Turkish visa on an old passport from perhaps 10 years ago. I am nervous about that visa because I read somewhere (possibly FT) that it could cause a TWOV rejection.
Old May 1, 19, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
So Turkish visa is not a problem any more? My first transit through PEK is coming up later this month, and I have one Turkish visa on an old passport from perhaps 10 years ago. I am nervous about that visa because I read somewhere (possibly FT) that it could cause a TWOV rejection.
I had no idea that Turkish visa pose, or had posed, any form of impediment to entry into China. The agent handling my entry thumbed through my (very full and about to be renewed) passport a number of times, inspecting every page.

I have no idea what he was looking for, but I took his comments on the number of Turkish stamps simply as affirming that he had been diligent in his inspection.
Old May 2, 19, 10:24 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), AA OWE (EXP), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by IAN-UK View Post
I had no idea that Turkish visa pose, or had posed, any form of impediment to entry into China. The agent handling my entry thumbed through my (very full and about to be renewed) passport a number of times, inspecting every page.

I have no idea what he was looking for, but I took his comments on the number of Turkish stamps simply as affirming that he had been diligent in his inspection.
My passport is full of Turkish border stamps and I had no issue to get a 144 hour visa free entry.

My co-worker told them he is a chain smoker (he indeed is) and needs to leave the airport to smoke. They stamped him in. And yes - PEK airport is smoke free.
Old May 2, 19, 12:49 pm

Ok yes i had read that on ft:

144 Hour TWOV - Risk it with Turkey Visa from 2012 in passport??

Good to know it's not been an issue.
Old Jun 11, 19, 9:33 pm

Just to follow up ... I had Turkish visa on old passport that i carried but no problem at all obtaining 24 hour twov stamp in May.

Search this Thread