Air China 747-8 -- Business Seat Selection

Old Apr 25, 19, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Air China 747-8 -- Business Seat Selection

We're flying Air China from JFK to PEK aboard the 747-8 in J class. The three of us are booked on the upper deck, in row 84. Can anyone who's flown this route/bird recommend whether we should stay upstairs, or move to rows 11 or 12 in the nose? Tnx.
Old Apr 26, 19, 2:01 am

Programs: UA, TK , Starwood > Marriott
I flew this aircraft on FRA-PEK vv and sat in the upper deck on the outbound. I found it quite narrow and cramped, and changed my seat assignment to an aisle seat in the nose downstairs for the return. Liked that much better - more sense of space.
Dhamal likes this.
Old Apr 29, 19, 6:09 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), AA OWE (EXP), IHG Plat
Also there are no baggage bins next to window seats (that exist upper deck on B747-400's or LH B747-800's). But upper deck is upper deck - once B747's and A380's are gone there will be no upper deck any longer... Even knowing the limitations, I somehow cannot resist from reserving an upper deck seat.
Old May 3, 19, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Ok we decided on the lower deck nose section as i was reading that the crew advises passengers in the upper deck to use only one washroom.
Old May 3, 19, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by TPJ View Post
Also there are no baggage bins next to window seats (that exist upper deck on B747-400's or LH B747-800's). But upper deck is upper deck - once B747's and A380's are gone there will be no upper deck any longer... Even knowing the limitations, I somehow cannot resist from reserving an upper deck seat.
Then there will be 737s and A320s doing long hauls. Same cabin width at the 747 upper deck (and arguably the same experience, minus the flexible cabin foor)
Old May 7, 19, 10:19 am

Programs: CX Au | SQ Ag
Originally Posted by djjaguar64 View Post
Ok we decided on the lower deck nose section as i was reading that the crew advises passengers in the upper deck to use only one washroom.
Just flew upper deck 747-8 a few days ago. Two bathrooms available to use, although the one just behind the cockpit came with an additional beautiful (sarcasm) cigarette smoke. I suspect they might sometimes ask passengers not to use that bathroom as to make it less obvious the pilots are smoking. In any case, you can also walk downstairs and use the two bathrooms next to the stairs there, so I wouldn't choose the lower deck for just that reason.

Search this Thread