MOF-DPS flight options

Old Apr 23, 2019, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime GLD, SPG Lifetime GLD
MOF-DPS flight options

I’m heading from MOF to DPS on a Saturday in September. I’m current booked DPS-TPE-LAX on EVA air departing at 16:15. My question is around which domestic flight to take. The two options are:

Wings Air 08:35 - 10:15. Plenty of connection time. But I will pay for all baggage (dive gear) and lots of posts about how unreliable Wings is. Early departure

Garuda 12:05 - 13:55. Airline seems to have better reputation. At least some baggage included. But is the conn toon time in DPS too close for a domestic to international connection?

thoughts?

Old Apr 23, 2019, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Illini_Fan
I’m heading from MOF to DPS on a Saturday in September. I’m current booked DPS-TPE-LAX on EVA air departing at 16:15. My question is around which domestic flight to take. The two options are:

Wings Air 08:35 - 10:15. Plenty of connection time. But I will pay for all baggage (dive gear) and lots of posts about how unreliable Wings is. Early departure

Garuda 12:05 - 13:55. Airline seems to have better reputation. At least some baggage included. But is the conn toon time in DPS too close for a domestic to international connection?

thoughts?

I would stay far away from Wings flights. Pretty unreliable. Garuda is good, but I have no idea if they’re on time, usually. Looks like an hour flight or so. Unless you see a problem with Garuda being continually tardy, I’d take them, or come in the day before.

You will have to go through customs to depart DPS. Will Garuda check your bags through? If not, might be a bit tight.

The Hilton Garden Inn at DPS is nice, and can be booked with 5k Hilton points ($20-25 in points), if you decide to arrive a day early.
Illini_Fan likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 9:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Garuda always, but I always need dependable versus cheap.
Illini_Fan likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 5:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
That Garuda flight only gives you an hour and change to get checked in for the BR flight, it's not safe. Baggage may take a while to collect at DPS (though there is at least some possibility that GA would through check them to BR, you won't get that on an LCC for certain). Considering the very limited schedule MOF-DPS, I'd go the day before unless your BR ticket is flexible and you want to roll the dice.
Illini_Fan likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 8:01 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Trouble is that the Garuda flight is only twice a week. If the Wings Air is daily, i'd probably get that, the day before.

I wouldn't be confident with either same day option. If it had to be same day, i'd probably still go Wings as not enough time built in for the Garuda connection - i'd say it's got a slightly higher chance of getting you on your flight on time.

And when I said 'i'd probably go Wings', I actually wouldn't. Ever.

Nam Air also offers the route - you can book / check schedule on Sriwijaya's website.
Illini_Fan likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 8:03 am
Original Poster

I should have been clear - day before isn't an option. Dive boat gets back into MOF harbor early morning on the Saturday in question. hindsight it might have been bad to book the long-haul award ticket, but I did already. Am I running so much risk that I need to spend time/effort trying to change the long-haul award ticket?
Old Apr 24, 2019, 1:25 pm

Programs: BAEC
IfIyou can't travel the day before, perhaps buy both?

Intend to travel on Wings, but get a fully flex refundable on GA.
If Wings let you down you have a plan B with a tight connection. If they turn up and fly on-time then refund the GA flight.
Illini_Fan likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

I booked a GA flight -- not fully refundable, but close (<10% penalty if cancelled before the flight).

thanks for the input from everyone.
DeepUnderground likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Who is your long haul ticket booked through? If it's United then you can change it last minute, but there's a small penalty attached if you're not Premier Plat / 1K / GS. Not sure of all other *A programs, but most I would imagine let you make changes right up until check-in cutoff. (I know NH is an exception to this). Of course award availability has to be there when you rebook, but unless it's a major holiday period, from Asia to North America this isn't a problem if you're flexible with carrier.
Illini_Fan likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 2:29 am

I booked a GA flight -- not fully refundable, but close (<10% penalty if cancelled before the flight).

thanks for the input from everyone.
You're a diver right? In which case you'll have lots of checked baggage I assume?

Buy the Wings Air option as well and aim to be on that. All my Wings flights before midday have tended to be on time, creeping delays, especially in the afternoon after lots of sectors can cause issues, l but i'd be more confident in that.

Wings even have a flight connection via Labuan Bajo before their Bali flight, almost like a back up - back up that you could possibly jump on if the direct Bali flight is delayed.

IW1821 MOF DPS 0835 1025

IW1960 MOF LBJ 0745 0840
IW1889 LBJ DPS 0935 1055

If you have checked luggage and rely on Garuda as your only option to get to Bali, in my opinion, that is the worst of all the options. Sure have it as a back up, but you've got the highest chance of missing your connection. Only takes one rainstorm, one delayed departure, and their regional services can quickly develop a 1 hour delay.
Illini_Fan likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 6:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dvs7310
Who is your long haul ticket booked through? If it's United then you can change it last minute, but there's a small penalty attached if you're not Premier Plat / 1K / GS. Not sure of all other *A programs, but most I would imagine let you make changes right up until check-in cutoff. (I know NH is an exception to this). Of course award availability has to be there when you rebook, but unless it's a major holiday period, from Asia to North America this isn't a problem if you're flexible with carrier.
Long -haul is award ticket in J on EVA Air. I checked AwardNexus yesterday for any award availability (regardless of carrier) from DPS to US West Cost and there was one option via Thai and Asiana (DPS-BKK-ICN-LAX)
Old Apr 25, 2019, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sam Bee
You're a diver right? In which case you'll have lots of checked baggage I assume?

Buy the Wings Air option as well and aim to be on that. All my Wings flights before midday have tended to be on time, creeping delays, especially in the afternoon after lots of sectors can cause issues, l but i'd be more confident in that.

Wings even have a flight connection via Labuan Bajo before their Bali flight, almost like a back up - back up that you could possibly jump on if the direct Bali flight is delayed.

IW1821 MOF DPS 0835 1025

IW1960 MOF LBJ 0745 0840
IW1889 LBJ DPS 0935 1055

If you have checked luggage and rely on Garuda as your only option to get to Bali, in my opinion, that is the worst of all the options. Sure have it as a back up, but you've got the highest chance of missing your connection. Only takes one rainstorm, one delayed departure, and their regional services can quickly develop a 1 hour delay.
I have the early Wings air flight already, but was getting nervous given some of the comments about Wings' relability. I did notice the LBJ connection, but wasn't sure if two Wings air segments was better or worse than have the GA flight as my secondary.

On a separate note - does anyone know if Wings enforces this specific rule in their ticket:
"...If paid by credit card please note that the credit card used must be presented by the card holder for verification at check-in or you may be denied boarding..." The card I used to book the flight is now closed, will that cause a problem?
Old Apr 25, 2019, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I have the early Wings air flight already, but was getting nervous given some of the comments about Wings' relability. I did notice the LBJ connection, but wasn't sure if two Wings air segments was better or worse than have the GA flight as my secondary.

On a separate note - does anyone know if Wings enforces this specific rule in their ticket:
"...If paid by credit card please note that the credit card used must be presented by the card holder for verification at check-in or you may be denied boarding..." The card I used to book the flight is now closed, will that cause a problem?
2 Wings segments are definitely worse than just 1. This is an ATR flight?

Did you book with Wings direct or an OTA? I’ve never been asked for a credit card, but I usually don’t book direct. Bring the old card with you?
Illini_Fan likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero

2 Wings segments are definitely worse than just 1. This is an ATR flight?

Did you book with Wings direct or an OTA? I’ve never been asked for a credit card, but I usually don’t book direct. Bring the old card with you?
via OTA on the booking - company called Tiket2.

If I had the old card, I would do that, but it was closed and destroyed and I never even thought about it until last week when I read the ticket confirmation. However good news that at least there is one data point saying it might just be boilerplate and not actually used. I know Qatar does enforce a similar rule but only if booked within 24-48 hours of departure.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 11:37 am

via OTA on the booking - company called Tiket2.

If I had the old card, I would do that, but it was closed and destroyed and I never even thought about it until last week when I read the ticket confirmation. However good news that at least there is one data point saying it might just be boilerplate and not actually used. I know Qatar does enforce a similar rule but only if booked within 24-48 hours of departure.
Airlines don't normally have the details if you have booked through an OTA/TA, so it won't be a problem. I've never been asked for any Indo flight, even when booked direct.

The 2 flight comment was not a recommendation - just a case that it's worth getting to Maumere Apt a few minutes earlier as if the direct flight is cancelled they may route you on the indirect via LBJ!

I'm sure all will be fine, and you'll arrive early enough into Bali to cancel your Garuda flight and wonder around being bored before your EVA Air flight!
Illini_Fan likes this.

Last edited by Sam Bee; Apr 25, 2019 at 11:51 am Reason: Clarity

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.