CMB stopover on UL after Sri Lankan bombings

Old Apr 23, 19, 12:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF,VA Plat
CMB stopover on UL after Sri Lankan bombings

Hello,

I am booked on UL on Sunday 28th April, BLR-CMB-MEL with a two-hour stopover. It looks like despite the Sri Lankan bombings, CMB airport is operating as normal and there are minimal flight cancellations, so I expect these flights will go ahead.

However, my home country Australia has classified all of Sri Lanka, including the airport as "Reconsider your need to travel" which renders my travel insurance invalid etc. I personally don't think there's any safety issues with transiting the airport for two hours, but there's always the risk of a misconnect or a cancellation which could get me stuck there and looking for accommodation in the city.

I can't find any other alternate flights that are reasonably priced and meet my timing requirements, so I'm inclined to stick with this itinerary for now.

I know that risk is a personal thing, but does anyone have any thoughts on how to go about making this decision? It is a business flight and due to the situation, my employer will likely pay for a new flight even if I end up with something substantially more expensive, but it still comes out of my annual travel budget. They will not be happy however if I get stuck there and had alternatives.

I do not have any family or dependents, so I don't have to worry about life insurance being invalid by travelling into a terrorist prone area (or whatever Sri Lanka might now be considered), but at the same time I don't really want to get blown up.
Old Apr 23, 19, 8:06 am

My wife and I are scheduled to be in Sri Lanka in early June and are also reconsidering going at all. Our hotel has refused a refund so we are sort of up the creek a bit. I suspect that the airport will be one of the more secure locations as it will be undoubtedly be hardened after the attacks. I would not worry about transiting.
Old Apr 23, 19, 5:28 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Elite, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
[QUOTE=jpp42;31027657]

However, my home country Australia has classified all of Sri Lanka, including the airport as "Reconsider your need to travel" which renders my travel insurance invalid etc. I personally don't think there's any safety issues with transiting the airport for two hours, but there's always the risk of a misconnect or a cancellation which could get me stuck there and looking for accommodation in the city.

I ant to get blown up.[/Q

That is a pretty tough travel insurance restriction - my work travel insurance would cover Sri Lanka - it's only the very high-risk category that is excluded.
Old Apr 23, 19, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF,VA Plat
Originally Posted by jeffrocowboy View Post
Originally Posted by jpp42 View Post

However, my home country Australia has classified all of Sri Lanka, including the airport as "Reconsider your need to travel" which renders my travel insurance invalid etc
That is a pretty tough travel insurance restriction - my work travel insurance would cover Sri Lanka - it's only the very high-risk category that is excluded.
While true, it doesn't change the employer's duty of care over its employees, so I don't think affects me hugely in that regard. So far the company travel office hasn't barred transiting through the airport, I was just considering the case where a flight might be cancelled. I suppose in that case you just stay at the airport, no matter how uncomfortable.

Search this Thread