Wiki Posts
Search

Foreign F/As working for Chinese airlines

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2019, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, PR, TG, UA, CX (Asia Miles), BT, AY, AA
Foreign F/As working for Chinese airlines

Hi, folks. I'm curious: have any of you spotted a foreign F/A working for a Chinese airline before? I did on my BKK-PVG flight on MU a couple of weeks ago, which surprisingly was upgauged to the 77W from an A333! (The plane was B-2025, and interestingly enough, this was also the plane I flew the connecting PVG-LAX on. First time that's happened!)

I didn't get her name but her nameplate didn't have a Chinese name on it, which is how I know she's a foreigner. Before this flight, all the F/As I've seen on all the Chinese airlines I've flown (CZ, CA, MU, FM) were Chinese.

That said, how common are foreign F/As on mainland Chinese airlines? I imagine they're quite rare, right?

Last edited by Akiestar; Apr 15, 2019 at 7:35 pm
Old Apr 15, 2019, 7:24 pm

Hainan and Hong Kong airlines both have foreign FAs. Also show them in ads.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 8:59 pm

CZ typically have a French F/A on their Paris flights...can’t remember a flight in the last 3-4 years without one.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Not saying that she is or isn't, but keep in mind that a lot of people who are half do not always have strong Asian features. I have lived in Japan for many years, and sometimes you would have no idea that half Japanese people were Japanese, but they could have lived and grown up here and not even speak English (or their foreign parents' language).
Old Apr 16, 2019, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was on a CA flight from SHA to PEK where there was an Italian FA. Her Chinese was very basic but she insisted on trying to speak to customers in Chinese, even when they'd answer her in English. Not sure how she got the gig but I had to give her respect for trying! I assume they use her on the Milan or Rome flights mainly.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:07 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
I'll be flying international Y on CA next month in North America, wonder if I'll get to spot a foreign FA.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 5:20 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
CA (sometimes) has German F/A on PEK-FRA and Thai F/A on PEK-BKK. I have not seen a non-Chinese F/A on the US flights.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 10:31 am

Programs: A3*G/KFEG
It's quite common to see a foreign FA on an international flight.

I did, however, encounter one on a domestic CA flight. She was South Korean, spoke fluent Chinese but her accent gave her away.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 4:21 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

not-technically a Chinese airline politically speaking, but I was sort of surprised to see European F/As on a Cathay flight from Manchester. This I haven't seen before on CX, as I've only encountered F/As mostly from HK, PH, ID, TH, TW, JP, KR, and occasionally IN.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Akiestar
That said, how common are foreign F/As on mainland Chinese airlines? I imagine they're quite rare, right?
It is more common that you think.

Many airlines, not just Chinese, hire FAs with different language skills. But it usually ends up hiring foreign FAs instead. Depending the schedules/routes, airlines place FAs to meet the customer need.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 3:01 pm

Programs: BAEC
Unless things have changed in recent years, Cathay had a fairly significant base of cabin crew based out of London. So on LHR HKG flights you can expect a good contingent of European crew.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 4:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

MU has 30 Japanese FAs, and they are awesome.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 10:16 pm

Programs: GarudaMiles (most active), Asia Miles (most active), Kris Flyer, Flying Blue, Royal Orchid Plus
Or maybe she is indeed a Chinese national, but comes from Uyghur/Kazakh/Uzbek/Tajik background?
Old Apr 24, 2019, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, PR, TG, UA, CX (Asia Miles), BT, AY, AA
Originally Posted by MRTY
Or maybe she is indeed a Chinese national, but comes from Uyghur background?
If that was the case, she'd be speaking Chinese and her nameplate would have a Chinese and/or Uyghur name (in Arabic script, supposedly). This wasn't the case -- if I remember what her accent sounded like, I think she's French.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 1:02 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
CZ has Dutch crew on the AMS routes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.