Connecting on Air Asia URT-DMK & DMK-HKG

Old Apr 12, 19, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Connecting on Air Asia URT-DMK & DMK-HKG

I currently have a ticket for URT-DMK on AirAsia but want to add another leg from DMK-HKG. The flight lands at DMK at 1420 and the next available flight is at 1635 from DMK on the same carrier AirAsia.

Do you know if they can potentially send the baggage straight to HKG from the original boarding at URT or would I need to manually collect and recheck at DMK. If i have to do the latter do you think I have sufficient time?
Old Apr 12, 19, 11:18 am

Programs: BAEC, Accor
If you have not booked this as a fly-thru itinerary, and I doubt that you can change the single point to point flight to be a fly-thru connection then you cannot assume you will be able to connect and check through bags. Giving AirAsia a call is probably the best way to get a definitive answer on this.

Unless they are prepared to upsell you a fly-thru connection you therefore need to assume that there will be no connection and you will have to arrive, clear immigration, collect bags, clear customs, and check back in for the onward flight. If your inbound flight is delayed or the immigration or baggage systems delay you getting to check in or there are horrendous check in queues you need to understand what your back up plan is. Can you self insure by just buying another ticket if you miss your flight? Or do you you need to book a later flight? What's your risk appetite?
​​​​​
​​​​
Old Apr 13, 19, 1:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by plunet View Post
If you have not booked this as a fly-thru itinerary, and I doubt that you can change the single point to point flight to be a fly-thru connection then you cannot assume you will be able to connect and check through bags. Giving AirAsia a call is probably the best way to get a definitive answer on this.

Unless they are prepared to upsell you a fly-thru connection you therefore need to assume that there will be no connection and you will have to arrive, clear immigration, collect bags, clear customs, and check back in for the onward flight. If your inbound flight is delayed or the immigration or baggage systems delay you getting to check in or there are horrendous check in queues you need to understand what your back up plan is. Can you self insure by just buying another ticket if you miss your flight? Or do you you need to book a later flight? What's your risk appetite?
​​​​​
Thanks for the response. My only thought was that as the first leg is just domestic I wouldn't have that much trouble and no need to go through immigration so it might be quicker. The major concern obviously are delays of the first flight which would jeopardise all plans. I'll give AirAsia a call and find out what they say but they have a strict no change to destination policy on the website but hoping they can just sell me the onward connecting ticket and merge the PNRs
Old Apr 13, 19, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good luck. I wouldn’t try a two hour connection without a thru ticket. Even then, it’s a bit risky if the first flight is late.
Old Apr 14, 19, 3:54 am
Fyd

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat
AFAIK fly-through is not available as an add-on later as a fly-through ticket is usually much more expensive than 2 back to back tickets
and I wouldn't attempt the connection. You'll have to go through arrival, pick up your bag, go through check in, then immigration, security, to gate...
I wouldn't even attempt that connection with carry on.....
Old Apr 14, 19, 11:29 pm

Programs: asia miles
purely timewise, yes it is feasible. DMK is not such a large airport. As you mentioned, the first leg is a domestic flight, therefore you won' t have to through immigration. Your only waiting time, will be to get your luggage. The main problem is the a potential delay on your inbound flight and you really have no control on that

Last edited by blandy62; Apr 15, 19 at 6:41 am
Old Apr 15, 19, 5:13 am

Programs: SQ PPS
Have only taken international flights on AirAsia from DMK a couple of times. Last year paid for some premium product (Premium Flex?) on DMK-KUL flight. It wasn't that much extra and the key benefit was a dedicated check-in counter with no queue. From what I could see, the queue for 'regular' check-in was pretty long.
Old Apr 15, 19, 6:40 am

Programs: asia miles
Originally Posted by nanyang View Post
Have only taken international flights on AirAsia from DMK a couple of times. Last year paid for some premium product (Premium Flex?) on DMK-KUL flight. It wasn't that much extra and the key benefit was a dedicated check-in counter with no queue. From what I could see, the queue for 'regular' check-in was pretty long.
You can also pay for the "Red carpet " service. Give you accept to the dedicated check in desk and also lounge access. But in general if you arrive late and getting close to the checkin deadline, just approach one of the staff, they will help you. They also generally patrol with signs with the flights getting close to the deadline.

Search this Thread