Search

"China" Airlines - Skyteam Elite Plus in Economy

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2019, 1:05 am
Original Poster

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Question "China" Airlines - Skyteam Elite Plus in Economy

Just got an award ticket via Delta (I'm Diamond --> STE+) in coach from TPE-LAX. Any better seat selections or advice for something more comfy for a 6'5 person? It's a 777 (no PE/Z award tickets available). I know I'll have access to the lounge but do they have preferred seats and any buy up offers that might be available on DOD? On the outbound, at least I'm in Z via SFO.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:04 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
Not really only way to pay for upgrade is pay full fare difference.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 9:51 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
Just got an award ticket via Delta (I'm Diamond --> STE+) in coach from TPE-LAX. Any better seat selections or advice for something more comfy for a 6'5 person? It's a 777 (no PE/Z award tickets available). I know I'll have access to the lounge but do they have preferred seats and any buy up offers that might be available on DOD? On the outbound, at least I'm in Z via SFO.
If you are 6' 5", you should change dates until PE or Z is available. You have been warned. Besides the legroom, the seats are ten-abreast in Coach.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
I don't think preferred seats are offered to Elite+ these days. You need to be CI Emerald to access those seats.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 2:28 am
Original Poster

Well, I lucked out. A biz seat came open for award travel (110k miles) so I'm booked on that instead! Thanks free redeposit for PM/DMs!
trooper likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 3:59 pm

Programs: Skymiles Gold
Why is it "China" Airlines, with China in quotes?
Old Apr 3, 2019, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
I believe it's because the airline is Taiwanese, and Taiwan is not actually China.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 6:44 pm

Programs: Skymiles Gold
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
I believe it's because the airline is Taiwanese, and Taiwan is not actually China.
It's the Republic of China actually, so it's kind of China. As much as the People's Republic of China is China.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 6:50 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by Weekend Away
It's the Republic of China actually, so it's kind of China. As much as the People's Republic of China is China.
We all know it's not that simple.
nancypants and jysim like this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 1:48 am
Original Poster

Well, no not so simple....LOL
Historical name given by that Nationalist Chinese government, probably would cause a war if they now tried to change either the name of the airline especially to reflect "Taiwan" or the ROC name at all.
It's confusing since the quality of "China" Airlines is much better (4 star Skytrax) than the actual Chinese airlines (only China Southern has 4 star rating).
Alas, my Taiwanese mother/family would appreciate my ""s LOL
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Well, no not so simple....LOL
Historical name given by that Nationalist Chinese government, probably would cause a war if they now tried to change either the name of the airline especially to reflect "Taiwan" or the ROC name at all.
It's confusing since the quality of "China" Airlines is much better (4 star Skytrax) than the actual Chinese airlines (only China Southern has 4 star rating).
Alas, my Taiwanese mother/family would appreciate my ""s LOL
Skytrax is well known to be pay for play. Do you honestly think CI is better than MU?
Old Apr 5, 2019, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by moondog
Skytrax is well known to be pay for play. Do you honestly think CI is better than MU?
Skytrax is useless but I doubt anyone would think CI is worse than MU with CI no longer operating old planes on the long hauls.
tris06 and clubeurope like this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 9:38 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
I do think CI is better than MU though some of the new A350s coming in with MU will bring it a little bit closer which have an interesting new business class seat .For skyteam members CI may still be a little better for lounges even with the recent downgrades over the past couple of years. CZ is worse than MU for lounges.

It is a shame that skytrax is a fraud. Likely in 10-20yrs it will be a defunct organisation nobody cares about. 15yrs+ ago it held far more respect
Old Apr 8, 2019, 1:00 am
Original Poster

I won't fly mainland Chinese airlines (my Taiwanese mother would literally disown me then make Taiwanese sweet sausage out of me). But I can't imagine that CI is worse than any of the mainland carriers. I've flown CI many times over the years and they are definitely better than US carriers overall, the new planes are nice and well, I'll see again in the next week about my two Z CI experiences. I've always liked the CI lounges in TPE since the noodle bars are a nice touch.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 2:55 am

I've always liked the CI lounges in TPE since the noodle bars are a nice touch.
The lounge is pretty bad these days, but you still have the noodle bar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.