China United Airlines - Seat Selection in Advance?

Old Mar 25, 19, 11:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BAG/OWE, Accor Gold
China United Airlines - Seat Selection in Advance?

Hi,
can anyone advise on how to select seats in advance on China United Airlines?

I will be on another flight when OLCI opens so I am keen to get a window seat secured in advance.

Itís hard to find info online as seach results come up
with different airlines and their own website does not translate well when using google translate (into English).
Old Mar 26, 19, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jbfield View Post
Hi,

I will be on another flight when OLCI opens so I am keen to get a window seat secured in advance.

It’s hard to find info online as seach results come up
with different airlines and their own website does not translate well when using google translate (into English).
I don't fly KN so much any more because that 12 hour delay I experienced 2 years ago still hurts (NAY actually ran out of water!), but back when I did use them, I always managed to get good seats at the airport.
Old Mar 26, 19, 10:33 pm

Programs: Co-Onepass, Delta-Useless Skymiles
Hi the best thing to do is email them, I could not figure out their website.. Go on Seatguru to select your seat and email them your preference, I tried calling on the phone but was on hold for 30 min plus.. I emailed them the seat I wanted and pithing 24 hours they emailed back with a seat number confirmation. very simple process,
Old Mar 27, 19, 4:16 am

2019 Secret Santa

Originally Posted by jbfield View Post
Hi,

Itís hard to find info online as seach results come up
I help you look at it, it says it is available in their app 3 hrs before the departure. Or by the airport checkins if it is a specific fare, I guess some super cheap ticket like basic economy.
Old Mar 29, 19, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dhamal View Post
Hi the best thing to do is email them, I could not figure out their website.. Go on Seatguru to select your seat and email them your preference, I tried calling on the phone but was on hold for 30 min plus.. I emailed them the seat I wanted and pithing 24 hours they emailed back with a seat number confirmation. very simple process,
Originally Posted by HenrySu1220 View Post
I help you look at it, it says it is available in their app 3 hrs before the departure. Or by the airport checkins if it is a specific fare, I guess some super cheap ticket like basic economy.
Thank you. It seems that as I have booked through ctrip.com I can't get a ticket number until 24 hour before departure; so not a lot the airline will do until then.
I am hoping to avoid a 20 hour delay - that would put me in breach of my 24 transit without visa...
Old Apr 8, 19, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by moondog View Post
back when I did use them, I always managed to get good seats at the airport.
In the end this was the approach I had to take.
Having got through arrival immigration at PEK and into a Didi by 7:30am, I arrived at NAY check-in at 08:25 and checked-in well ahead of the 11:50 departure time.
Minimal check-in queue and friendly staff indeed secured me a window seat away from the wing. I was a little surprised that the row numbers on this 737-800 went into the 50's, but noticed onboard that they seem to skip quite a few row numbers in the teens.

One other datapoint I spotted onboard - row 37 is windowless.
(Note. Seatguru does not cover CUA).

And if anyone is wondering what I did in the intervening 3 hours - boarding pass in hand I found a nearby Ofo bike and went for a cycle to explore the neighbourhood. Not a great deal to see as it's mostly restricted military sites, or former housing estates turned to rubble.

Search this Thread