Air China has misplaced my baggage - please help

Old Mar 22, 19, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Question Air China has misplaced my baggage - please help

Hi! Does the AIRCHINA has insufficient employees? My sister in law 2 luggage were left in china, your staff in the NAIA (Manila, Philippines) failed to informed my sister in law regarding the the luggage on where to checked out and check in again. I kept on calling in this number (281) 233-3692, this is from HOUSTON, Texas. I was able to talk to the agent for only once, her name is Tal, and thank you for assisting me but this morning only answering machine answered. Of course we want to have and update from time to time with you AIRCHINA. Please have someone answered the phone. And while I am over the phone assisting my sister in law what to do with her lost luggage, your staff are in not in good terms, I heard them fighting and does not want to help the staff who is in-charge, sucks working relationship! I hope my concern will reach the management of AIRCHINA.
Old Mar 22, 19, 1:13 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by limdes View Post
Hi! Does the AIRCHINA has insufficient employees? My sister in law 2 luggage were left in china, your staff in the NAIA (Manila, Philippines) failed to informed my sister in law regarding the the luggage on where to checked out and check in again. I kept on calling in this number (281) 233-3692, this is from HOUSTON, Texas. I was able to talk to the agent for only once, her name is Tal, and thank you for assisting me but this morning only answering machine answered. Of course we want to have and update from time to time with you AIRCHINA. Please have someone answered the phone. And while I am over the phone assisting my sister in law what to do with her lost luggage, your staff are in not in good terms, I heard them fighting and does not want to help the staff who is in-charge, sucks working relationship! I hope my concern will reach the management of AIRCHINA.
Welcome to FlyerTalk. Built by and for frequent travelers, FlyerTalk is the world's largest website devoted to discussing how to optimize the use of miles, points and status for the enhancement of your travel experiences. It is an extraordinary resource for the frequent traveler. But, FlyerTalk is not affiliated with any airlines.

We have moved your post, with a trailing link, to the forum where you are apt to get the best recommendations for your dilemma.

JDiver, Co-Moderator, The Suggestion Box forum

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 22, 19 at 1:18 pm
Old Mar 23, 19, 3:22 am

Programs: BAEC, Accor
Oh dear, this is obviously frustrating but your frustration is directed in the wrong direction.

Firstly, although the carriage and delivery of luggage is the responsibility of the operating airline, actually all the work is done by the relevant airports. So if some bags have gone missing you should be angry with the airport baggage handling agents.

When your sister in law discovered their bags had not arrived did they complete a PIR property irregularity report before they left the baggage area? If they did this they should have been given instructions on how to get updates on what is happening with their baggage, this is probably an online system called worldtracer - most airlines use the same system but I have no direct experience of Air China. If you have access to the worldtracer or equivalent system with the PIR number then you usually have visibility of exactly the same information that airline employees would have so normally calling the airline will yield nothing other than frustration as they can't give you any more useful information and it's often an underwhelming experience talking to the luggage department of most airlines. You should also be able to use the worldtracer or online tracing system to give your own updates. So if your sister in law has now moved to a new location give concise updates to say where she is now and how long she will be there.

Another thing to note is there is probably no one looking for your missing bags, at least at this stage. Baggage handlers will periodically sweep their systems and baggage areas for 'exception' baggage that is now where is not where it should be. When they find such baggage the PIR records in worldtracer {or equivalent) are used as the basis of instructions on what to do next. So it's quite usual for the process to take a couple of days.

If your sister in law didn't complete the PIR before they left the baggage area then it's not going to be as easy to sort things out, and this is where you will have to be persistent.

The only other practical measure is to file a missing property report with the airport lost property service for each airport that should have handled the bag, but this is probably something that can wait a few days.

Hope this is useful, good luck in your quest to be reunited with your sister in law's baggage.
Old Mar 23, 19, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Good news

Thank you for answering my questions. Remember Ms. Tal of AIRCHINA? She called me last night and she told us that the 2 luggage just arrived and ready to be sent. We felt happiness. Thank you too, Ms. Tal of AIRCHINA!
Yoshi212, nancypants and plunet like this.
Old Mar 23, 19, 8:47 pm

Programs: BAEC, Accor
Excellent result, and thanks for reporting back. So many people come to the forum to be angry when something has gone wrong (rightfully so) and then fail to update when the right processes and procedures are followed and the issue is resolved.

It usually does take a couple of days for things like this to be resolved although it can seem like an eternity when you are without things you really need.

In theory the airline are on the hook to refund any reasonable expenses you might have had to make emergency replacements of items in your baggage. I am not sure how well this airline will respond to such a claim and it has to be reasonable - so no claiming for Gucci suits, but minimum midrange clothing that you might find any normal retail centre shouldn't be an issue. If you are returning home claiming it might be assumed that you should have had access to other clothes at your destination.

Hopefully none of this will be necessary and your sister in law can just move on now.

Search this Thread