Xiamen Air seat selection?

Old Apr 12, 2019, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by plunet
So did the OP get to ICN, get the visa, and were the seat reservations ok?
Yep. I'm here and in China at the moment!
Old Apr 12, 2019, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

I just wanted to add a few things on my experience. When I did the technical stop at TAO, I had the blue card filled out. When I got to immigration, the officer asked me if I want to enter with the visa instead, so I did. I didn't really know what to do. He was going to give me the option to get the free visa.

I only bring that up, because there was another American, who had the same flight itinerary as me. She did NOT have a visa. She was able to pass immigration with a free visa. We're both about to board to Korea in a bit.

So she was able to transit through TAO to XMN perfectly fine on the free visa. I'm not sure if it was the 24 or 72 she was on, that she got from TAO immigration.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by ehuang03
I just wanted to add a few things on my experience. When I did the technical stop at TAO, I had the blue card filled out. When I got to immigration, the officer asked me if I want to enter with the visa instead, so I did. I didn't really know what to do. He was going to give me the option to get the free visa.

I only bring that up, because there was another American, who had the same flight itinerary as me. She did NOT have a visa. She was able to pass immigration with a free visa. We're both about to board to Korea in a bit.

So she was able to transit through TAO to XMN perfectly fine on the free visa. I'm not sure if it was the 24 or 72 she was on, that she got from TAO immigration.
She's on your same flight to korea?

She may be lucky, but it is also a real chance she could be pulled off the plane, even after boarding. Having a visa for your itinerary was absolutely the right thing, not least on arrival in China, but also boarding at your point of origin. A good agent should have refused uplift as the TWOV requirements were not met.

The blue form is only for TWOV. You should have completed the yellow/orange form on board and joined the regular visa queue on arrival in TAO. In other ports like Shanghai the TWOV queue can be very long and time consuming, whereas the visa queue should have you though fairly quickly.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
She's on your same flight to korea?

She may be lucky, but it is also a real chance she could be pulled off the plane, even after boarding. Having a visa for your itinerary was absolutely the right thing, not least on arrival in China, but also boarding at your point of origin. A good agent should have refused uplift as the TWOV requirements were not met.

The blue form is only for TWOV. You should have completed the yellow/orange form on board and joined the regular visa queue on arrival in TAO. In other ports like Shanghai the TWOV queue can be very long and time consuming, whereas the visa queue should have you though fairly quickly.
Yep. Her whole itinerary was identical to mine. We're both in Korea now.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Then either (a) she was very lucky, or (b) XIamenair has come to some sort of special arrancements with both the check-in staff and Chinese immigration to handle this particular flight via TAO and turn a blind eye to the rules.

The latter is almost conceivable - Chinese immigration are practical ... many pax would be unaware the stop in TAO requires immigration clearance. But on the other hand, there are actual data points of pax being refused entry in the exact same situation as yours in other airports around China where flights have had these 'technical' stops.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 2:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Was she in China for less 24 hours, total? If so, no rules were broken/waived.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 3:36 am

Programs: BAEC
If it was the same itinerary then they would have been in China for 27 hours. As far as I can remember TAO offers 24 hour visa and 72 hour but the latter is restricted to the province of Shandong. Sounds like a mistake.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Corrent, the passenger in front of the OP was on the exact same itinerary - 27 hours.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 8:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Corrent, the passenger in front of the OP was on the exact same itinerary - 27 hours.
Ah, I missed that. While technically the woman was in violation, I can fully understand offering discretion to refrain from laying down the law, especially if she was friendly.

Last edited by moondog; Apr 13, 2019 at 8:41 am
Old Apr 13, 2019, 12:06 pm

Programs: BAEC
What's the return itenary from ICN, does that have such a long layover? Would be mind boggling if you got refused boarding for your return flight...
Old Apr 14, 2019, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by plunet
What's the return itenary from ICN, does that have such a long layover? Would be mind boggling if you got refused boarding for your return flight...
My layover coming home is around 22 hours. I should see the girl also on our way home. I'll see if she runs into any issues on the return flight. I really hope she doesn't though.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My layover coming home is around 22 hours. I should see the girl also on our way home. I'll see if she runs into any issues on the return flight. I really hope she doesn't though.
22 hours total time in China (if multiple stops) is no issue (72/144 for single city).

You should use the regular immigration lines however, not the TWOV line.

Your tour colleague shouldn’t run into any issues given she was allowed to leave China without any warning after 27 hours.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 2:01 pm

Programs: Flying Blue PFL; IHG Rewards Club Diamond; HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by altalk08
Hi, can anyone confirm that I will be able to select seats when checking in online for a NUE-AMS (KLM) and AMS-XMN (MF) route? More specificially, will I be able to check-in online for NUE-AMS and during that OLCI be able to select seats for AMS-XMN? I was finding contradictory information here and on tripadvisor. Thanks.
There are some strange things with MF flights. I have found that if I use the KLM website then I cannot select seats on the MF flights. However, if I go to the Air France website then seat selection for the MF flights is possible. I would think that OLCI on KLM will be OK, especially as the first sector is on KLM metal, but remember you can try falling back on the Air France site.
altalk08 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.