Xiamen Air seat selection?

Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:59 am
Original Poster

Dang. I think I'm screwed. Here's my flight itinerary.

4/11 LAX TO TAO
1:30AM TO 5:00AM (5:00am is when the 24 hour clock starts right?

2 HOUR LAYOVER

TAO to XMN
7:00AM to 9:30AM

22 HOUR 40 MIN LAYOVER

4/12 XMN to ICN
8:10AM to 12:20PM

If I'm screwed. The only thing I could do is change my flight. $200 change fee and $220 difference.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 3:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ehuang03
With the TAO and XIA overnight layover, I'll be at around 27 hours. So it kind of seems like, I'll be fine without it transiting through TAO, since I'll only new at two hours. Then once I get to XIA, I'd apply for the 72 hour free transit visa(the blue card). I think if you stay over 24 hours, you're suppose to register with the local authorities also.
Can we assume that you're joking about 27 hours? The 24 hour rule is crystal clear.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 3:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
No no! You cannot combine multiple transits without visa on one visit to China. You must qualify for a single type of TWOV in order to be allowed to board the plane from your point of origin.

If yo have multiple stops in China, the ONLY TWOV applicable to you is the 24-hour TWOV (with entry permit). This allows multiple stops and transfers, including domestic flights. There is no such thing - that I have yet to see - that qualifies as a true 'technical stop' in China (despite what airlines might call it). From other flights, and everything I have read about the Xiamen air stops in TAO, at this stopover point (TAO) you will enter China and pass through immigration. (In this respect it is the same as the USA... first point you touch US soil you need to be cleared.)

As you have a stop in TAO, if you do not intend to buy a visa, you must depart China no later than 24 hours after arrival. This is actually the time your plane is scheduled to take off... not the time you arrive at the airport or clear immigration.

As you will enter China in TAO under the 24-hour TWOV, you cannot then apply for the 72-hour version in XMN.

Your options are (a) apply for a visa (b) change your itinerary to stay in China less than 24 hours or (c) change your itinerary so that you only have one stop and can avail yourself of the 72-hour TWOV.

moondog is correct - if you are going to apply for a visa you would just apply for a regular single, double, or - in the case of US passport holders - a 10-year tourist visa. I'm not even sure of why people would apply for a transit (G) visa.

24-hour TWOV is available to almost all nationalities. 72 and 144 hour TWOV are limited to 53 nationalities.

You are correct that you must register with police within 24 hours of arrival, but if you are staying at a hotel they will do this for you. If you are staying with friends they will need to accompany you to the police station to register you (they will need to bring personal documents).
I leave this coming Thursday at 1am. I don't think that's enough time to purchase a Visa here in the states. Could they be purchased at TAO?
Old Apr 5, 2019, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Dang. I think I'm screwed. Here's my flight itinerary.

4/11 LAX TO TAO
1:30AM TO 5:00AM (5:00am is when the 24 hour clock starts right?

2 HOUR LAYOVER

TAO to XMN
7:00AM to 9:30AM

22 HOUR 40 MIN LAYOVER

4/12 XMN to ICN
8:10AM to 12:20PM

If I'm screwed. The only thing I could do is change my flight. $200 change fee and $220 difference.
Yeah Unfortuantely this itinerary won't be eligible for TWOV.

The clock starts running from 5am (if your flight is early that doesn't matter). And stops running at 0810am (if that flight leaves late that doesn't matter).

So you're at 27hrs10mins. This won't even get you past check-in at your point of origin. If somehow they did let you board, you'd be stopped at TAO and most likely forced to buy an immediate ticket out of China. (The other option would be to send you back, but they usually seem to give you the option to buy an onward ticket, albeit at very expensive walk-up fares.)

you could try for a visa. Or perhaps email Xiamenair immediately and alert them to the stop in TAO. They might take pity and change you for free.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by endet
I have no idea how someone like you can be a Flyertalk representative aka Evangelist. It is beyond my comprehension.
You are not replying to questions ask and you are spreading wrong information.

But maybe you want to convince Xiamenair that you are right and that they are wrong?

As per the below link only travellers from 53 countries can transit without a visa. And it is also not in every airport but in a few selected ones (Xiamen being one of them).

https://www.xiamenair.com/en-us/pass...e/ground8.html

I rarely get offended by FT posts, but you have managed to push a button.

Key points:
1. The "evangelist" title is completely unrelated to any sort of knowledge
2. In the instant case, my knowledge happens to eclipse yours by a factor of 1000; spouting off "53 countries" when ALL countries are eligible demonstrates that you are an idiot
​​​
m.y likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 3:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
Can we assume that you're joking about 27 hours? The 24 hour rule is crystal clear.
That was before I understood that you can't get a 24 hour TWOV and then the 72 hour one.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 3:54 am
Original Poster

Do you guys know if you could get a Visa the same day if you head to the consulate? The Chinese Consulate is about 2.5 hours away from me in SF. Can't seem to find any info on it. There's only mentions of it on third party sites that they could expedite it.

EDIT: So it seems like I could get the visa the same day. I just have to pay the extra $37 rush fee per application. I can't find it anywhere, but could I just take the other three applications with me also without them going also? I'm assuming, they just have to sign it and then I sign the bottom? Last question, Should I apply for the G visa or the L visa? I read online that, I could do a 10 year validity visa. For the address of where I'm staying during the transit, I'm just going to put Xiamen Hotel Transit. Of course I have no idea where it's at. I'm just going to print Xiamen's policy also and take it with me to let them know.

I'm planning on going back to China one of these days to check out the Terracotta warriors and I don't want to pay the fees again. You guys think I'll be fine with the Tourist visa instead of the transit one? Lastly, I just want to thank each and everyone of you who chimed in on this. IF NONE OF YOU GUYS DIDN'T, I would of been a$$ed out. I really really really appreciate it. Thanks again!

Last edited by s0ju; Apr 5, 2019 at 5:33 am
Old Apr 5, 2019, 6:08 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
That was before I understood that you can't get a 24 hour TWOV and then the 72 hour one.
Your TAO-XMN flight is purely domestic, regardless of flight number and possibly large aircraft (maybe both a continuation from the long haul). This means you can’t access XMN immigration when arriving from TAO.

Beside the check in counter abroad, when you use TWOV to enter China, the immigration officer will closely examine your ticket and schedule before granting TWOV. It’s not like they’ll just stamp you in for 24 hours. (All stamps appear to just have dates but no time. Maybe that’s why all 72/144 hours count from 00:01.)
s0ju likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
To be honest I would just book a cheap hotel in Xiamen so you can have a proper hotel to show the visa service/consulate. If you use the right site (one like booking.com) the hotel will be fully refundable and you can cancel once you have the visa in your hand (you are perfectly entitled to change hotels). Better just to make things as simple as possible and not risk any delays if you're going to travel all the way to the visa office.

Go for the 10 year visa.
s0ju likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by moondog
I rarely get offended by FT posts, but you have managed to push a button.

Key points:
1. The "evangelist" title is completely unrelated to any sort of knowledge
2. In the instant case, my knowledge happens to eclipse yours by a factor of 1000; spouting off "53 countries" when ALL countries are eligible demonstrates that you are an idiot
​​​
I am an idiot. You are the pro. Best of luck in all you endeavours.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
To be honest I would just book a cheap hotel in Xiamen so you can have a proper hotel to show the visa service/consulate. If you use the right site (one like booking.com) the hotel will be fully refundable and you can cancel once you have the visa in your hand (you are perfectly entitled to change hotels). Better just to make things as simple as possible and not risk any delays if you're going to travel all the way to the visa office.

Go for the 10 year visa.
Thanks for the advice. I might just do that with the hotel. Now I just gotta figure out if I could apply for it at the LA consulate. My jurisdiction is SF. I'm right between them. If I could do it in L.A., that'll save me some tim I could get it before my flight. I don't even know if LA does same day(rush, but it says second day). There's no mention of it, but sf mentions it.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HkCaGu

Your TAO-XMN flight is purely domestic, regardless of flight number and possibly large aircraft (maybe both a continuation from the long haul). This means you can’t access XMN immigration when arriving from TAO.

Beside the check in counter abroad, when you use TWOV to enter China, the immigration officer will closely examine your ticket and schedule before granting TWOV. It’s not like they’ll just stamp you in for 24 hours. (All stamps appear to just have dates but no time. Maybe that’s why all 72/144 hours count from 00:01.)
Yep. I'm glad you guys caught the transiting issues for me. I wouldn't have thought twice about it and then get denied boarding.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by endet
I am an idiot. You are the pro. Best of luck in all you endeavours.
I would never have dreamed of calling you an idiot if you hadn't insulted me first. The "evangelist" thing doesn't matter a bit; what matters is that I know TWOV quite well. Truce!
Old Apr 5, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: BAEC
There is no way you can get a visa on arrival in China, because you will have already been denied boarding when trying to leave the US as you have no right to enter China and do not meet the TWOV criteria.

Based upon my own experience of the Chinese visa service here in London you need to assume it's going to take 3 to 4 days to process a visa application. It's not just a stamp in your passport - they will undertake checks and asscertain if you are known to the Chinese Government in any way, and reject you if you are not welcome.

You might want to consult China visa agents who will know the ropes and can advise you on the practical situation in West coast US. Paying a few extra dollars for their service could be worth it. Good luck.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 5:01 pm

Do you guys know if you could get a Visa the same day if you head to the consulate? The Chinese Consulate is about 2.5 hours away from me in SF. Can't seem to find any info on it. There's only mentions of it on third party sites that they could expedite it.
Since you have that 2.5 hour drive, I suggest you call them about this (I know it requires a bit of patience to simply get through). In my experience, same day service is available to everyone about half the time, and in urgent cases like yours, 75% of the time, as long as you show up in the morning with all of your ducks in order. Odds are lower on Mondays and Fridays.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.