FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-asian-australian-south-pacific-airlines-470/)
-   -   Seat Belt Length on JQ and ZL in Australia (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-asian-australian-south-pacific-airlines/1959070-seat-belt-length-jq-zl-australia.html)

phkc070408 Mar 3, 2019 12:29 am

Seat Belt Length on JQ and ZL in Australia

Hi all:

I'm a relatively large man. I'm 136kg, 188cm tall, and have a waist size of 106cm. I live in the United States. While flying my normal airline of choice, United, I've never needed a seatbelt extender or to purchase an extra seat, even in coach.

My wife and I are planning a trip to Australia and I'm concerned about my size, particularly the seat belt length. While we intend on doing most of our intra-Australia flying in Business Class, a few of our flights don't offer business class. While we figured that we would just buy extra legroom seats, but they are all exit rows (front or over-the-wing) and the terms state that you can not use a seatbelt extender in these rows.

My thinking is that since Americans are generally larger than people of most other countries and am wondering if the seatbelts will be shorter because of this

While getting moved from an exit row with extra legroom wouldn't be that bad comfort wise, I have a few other concerns.

1. I would be highly annoyed if we paid for the extra legroom, got moved, and the airline only gave us a voucher, since we probably will never use the voucher.
2. One of the flights (the ZL flight) is on a turbo-prop. Since we would be in row 1, if we got moved, I'm assuming that the FA would swap us with the people in row 2, and row 2 doesn't have a window. Given that this will probably be my only chance ever to ride in a prop, I really don't want a window-less seat. While there are extra legroom seats farther back, they are also exit rows and are over the wing, obstructing the view out the window.

The flights in question are

1. JQ963 CNS-ADL on 12-Oct-19 with an A-320
2. ZL4771 ADL-KGC on 12-Oct-19 with a Saab 340
3. QF2143 KGC-ADL on 16-Oct-19 with a Dash-8 300

I'm curious if anyone has any experience with these and can compare them to american carriers, preferably UA.

Are my concerns valid, or am I worrying about nothing?

Note: While I plan on trying to loose a few KG before the trip, I've had trouble being successful before. I'm not giving up, but want to be prepared just in case.

BSBtraveller Mar 3, 2019 3:52 am

The JQ 320 will have extra leg room row 1, more on the left than the right (no dividers on JQ).

BTW Australians are as large as Americans.

nancypants Mar 3, 2019 5:27 am

Originally Posted by BSBtraveller (Post 30841600)
The JQ 320 will have extra leg room row 1, more on the left than the right (no dividers on JQ).

BTW Australians are as large as Americans.

JQ unfortunately classify row 1 as an emergency exit row. I thought rows 2 and 3 were extra legroom also but apparently they’re only “upfront”

OP are these flights booked/locked in? If not it might be worth opting for different providers- also taking QF both ways to kangaroo island will not result in you missing out on a prop 😉

phkc070408 Mar 3, 2019 7:00 am

While we haven't booked yet, we are committed to those flights. The JQ flight is the only nonstop from CNS to ADL, at least on the day we're traveling, and none of the connecting flights on other airlines get us to ADL in time for the final ZL flight.

As for taking QF to KGC, the only one I could find is 3X weekly at that time of year and departs ADL way to early for us to get there from CNS. I thought QF was supposed to add service between MEL and KGC, but I can't find any flights on either QF.com or any of the third Party sites.

BTW, we are opting for the QF flight when we return to the mainland.

​​​​I see no reason that I wouldn't fit into a regular Y seat on either flight. We would just like to buy the extra legroom and not risk being in a worse position if for some reason I do need an extender than had we just booked regular Y. ​​​

Put another way, I don't want to go 1 step forward and 2 steps back.

nancypants Mar 3, 2019 10:46 pm

Ok. So i’ve made some enquiries and jetstar don’t have a central record of how long the seatbelts are. Confirmed that if you need an extension you can’t sit in any of the extra leg room rows.

i’ve called in a favour and a mate is going to physically measure a seatbelt on Friday, if all goes well

my contact at Rex i’m just waiting to hear back from

phkc070408 Mar 4, 2019 1:01 am

Originally Posted by nancypants (Post 30844713)
Ok. So i’ve made some enquiries and jetstar don’t have a central record of how long the seatbelts are. Confirmed that if you need an extension you can’t sit in any of the extra leg room rows.

i’ve called in a favour and a mate is going to physically measure a seatbelt on Friday, if all goes well

my contact at Rex i’m just waiting to hear back from

WOW!!!!! I highly appreciate the efforts. I have a united flight in August, so I will measure the seat-belts on that and see how they compare.

nanyang Mar 4, 2019 3:44 am

Originally Posted by phkc070408 (Post 30841270)

Note: While I plan on trying to loose a few KG before the trip, I've had trouble being successful before. I'm not giving up, but want to be prepared just in case.

Enjoy the trip - and good luck with the above plan also. ^

As for basic concepts, I think Nick Mitchell's Body Transformation Meal Plan Design is a pretty good intro to the topic.

From what I've seen, always better if you can get a professional personal trainer with these type of projects (muscle gain / fat loss).

GFrye Mar 8, 2019 8:20 am

2. One of the flights (the ZL flight) is on a turbo-prop. Since we would be in row 1, if we got moved, I'm assuming that the FA would swap us with the people in row 2, and row 2 doesn't have a window. Given that this will probably be my only chance ever to ride in a prop, I really don't want a window-less seat. While there are extra legroom seats farther back, they are also exit rows and are over the wing, obstructing the view out the window.

QF2143 will also be on a turbo-prop.

jeffrocowboy Mar 8, 2019 7:13 pm

Hi all:

do you need a back-up plan in case flight 1 is delayed and/or changed? I presume these cannot be on one ticket?

Intermittent fasting now has a lot of science behind it as a weight loss strategy.

phkc070408 Mar 8, 2019 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by jeffrocowboy (Post 30864397)
do you need a back-up plan in case flight 1 is delayed and/or changed? I presume these cannot be on one ticket?

Our backup plan will probably be the ZL flight the next morning. We would just rent a car and head over to the Ferry, but if our JQ flight is so late that we miss the ZL flight, then we will also miss the last Ferry.

I'll have to look at the prices of the ZL tickets to see if it's even worth booking a flexible / refundable ticket. From what I've gathered, it might be cheaper to just buy the cheapest fare and buy a new ticket if we mis-connect rather than buy a flexible ticket. I will definitely look into this.

Since you're asking if we have a backup plan, I'm wondering if you have any better ideas.

jeffrocowboy Mar 8, 2019 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by phkc070408 (Post 30864494)
Our backup plan will probably be the ZL flight the next morning. We would just rent a car and head over to the Ferry, but if our JQ flight is so late that we miss the ZL flight, then we will also miss the last Ferry.

I'll have to look at the prices of the ZL tickets to see if it's even worth booking a flexible / refundable ticket. From what I've gathered, it might be cheaper to just buy the cheapest fare and buy a new ticket if we mis-connect rather than buy a flexible ticket. I will definitely look into this.

Since you're asking if we have a backup plan, I'm wondering if you have any better ideas.

No suggestions - I am just wary of same-day travel on different tickets

nancypants Mar 8, 2019 9:02 pm

I’m still just waiting to hear back, haven’t forgotten I promise 😉

phkc070408 Mar 9, 2019 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by jeffrocowboy (Post 30864504)
No suggestions - I am just wary of same-day travel on different tickets

I totally agree with you, but I'm not sure there is another option, other than loosing a day of our vacation. I guess I can see if we can overnight in ADL and take the early flight to KI the next morning, but I hesitate to add another day onto our vacation due to A. Employment leave, B. Added costs, and C. It's another day away from the kiddos. I might be able to make it work but that also depends on our original departure and arrival dates from the USA.

phkc070408 Mar 9, 2019 11:53 pm

While we're on the subject, I normally agree that same day connections with two different carriers and two different tickets are not recommended. I was breaking this rule for a few reasons. Keep in mind that I normally fly in/out of Newark NJ, one of the three New York City airports, and most of my travels are to airports only slightly smaller than EWR.

1. ADL is an extremely small airport with one terminal. It looks like one can make it from one end of the terminal to the other in 20 minutes. That means with a 3 hour 5 minute connection time, we can arrive 90 minutes late and have plenty of time to claim our bags and re-check them, clear security again, and get to the far end of the terminal. Heck, this could probably done with an hour between flights if you hustle, right? (We are going to book 1A and 1B, so we'll be the first off.

2. I can't remember where, but someone else on FT told me that intra AU flights are much better at being on time than intra USA flights.

3. Since we're departing from CNS, another airport much smaller than I'm used to, I feel this will only highly reduce our chances of being delayed at take-off.

As mentioned above, our only other option is to drive to Cape Jervis and take the ferry, but if we miss the last flight of the day, we would also miss the last Ferry of the evening. That said, our backup plan would be to overnight in ADL and take the first REX flight of the day if there are seats available, or get a car and get the first ferry of the morning if we can't. I'm currently exploring the option of overnighting in ADL now as an additional day.

nancypants Mar 10, 2019 12:37 am

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...b38bce4405.png
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...e46225ad8.jpeg

Originally Posted by phkc070408 (Post 30868019)
While we're on the subject, I normally agree that same day connections with two different carriers and two different tickets are not recommended. I was breaking this rule for a few reasons. Keep in mind that I normally fly in/out of Newark NJ, one of the three New York City airports, and most of my travels are to airports only slightly smaller than EWR.

1. ADL is an extremely small airport with one terminal. It looks like one can make it from one end of the terminal to the other in 20 minutes. That means with a 3 hour 5 minute connection time, we can arrive 90 minutes late and have plenty of time to claim our bags and re-check them, clear security again, and get to the far end of the terminal. Heck, this could probably done with an hour between flights if you hustle, right? (We are going to book 1A and 1B, so we'll be the first off.

2. I can't remember where, but someone else on FT told me that intra AU flights are much better at being on time than intra USA flights.

3. Since we're departing from CNS, another airport much smaller than I'm used to, I feel this will only highly reduce our chances of being delayed at take-off.

As mentioned above, our only other option is to drive to Cape Jervis and take the ferry, but if we miss the last flight of the day, we would also miss the last Ferry of the evening. That said, our backup plan would be to overnight in ADL and take the first REX flight of the day if there are seats available, or get a car and get the first ferry of the morning if we can't. I'm currently exploring the option of overnighting in ADL now as an additional day.

1) ADL is a big airport around these parts but I often walk laps of it while waiting for flights and 20 minutes is probably even generous
JQ tends to arrive into the more southerly jetbridge gates (~23-26 or so). QF dash services generally depart from stand off bays at the southern end of the terminal near the Vimy- this involves a walk downstairs and then out onto the tarmac (left hand side of the attached satellite photo). REX generally departs from similar gates at the northern end (occasionally they park a plane near the QF dash gates).
The only mild and occasional complication with ADL is that if there’s an international flight in, they have sliding walls to block off the international gates in the middle of the terminal. If this is the case you can’t walk in a straight line from one end to the other but have to take a 1-2 minute diversion into the shopping precinct part

2) if flights are delayed IME it’s usually weather related. JQs planes are all pretty new so they tend to not get mechanical delays, but that said I find their on time performance is generally the worst in Australia- although i’m not sure why and we’re talking ~30 minute or so delays. The Saabs that REX runs are bloody old but generally they don’t seem to get mechanical delays either. Can’t recall ever having a delay on REX but I haven’t flown them as extensively as i’ve flown other airlines