Hong Kong Arline’s falling apart. Literally!

Old Mar 2, 19, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Hong Kong Arline’s falling apart. Literally!

Hi,

i have flown LAX-HKG twice in the past 9 days in business class. My outbound flight had 3 seats with broken IFE. Today’s has 8. This is a brand new A350-900. Everything else was good (unpolished but well-intentioned service, decent food, decent champagne), but I think this incident speaks volumes about the sad financial status of this carrier.
Old Mar 2, 19, 11:17 pm

Are you saying the screens were physically "falling apart" or the IFE software wasn't functioning? I'd find it hard to believe the screens are "literally" falling apart. Someone did post in another forum that the airline is behind on payments to its IFE maintenance provider and service is postponed for now. Priority right now is probably not IFE for people paying only $600 RT for business class seats.

FWIW, the IFE failing on those newer months-old birds speaks larger volumes of the IFE manufacturer's unreliable product.
kokonutz and Dean1953 like this.

Last edited by legameflyer; Mar 2, 19 at 11:30 pm
Old Mar 2, 19, 11:47 pm

Programs: BAEC, Accor
If you jump over to the CX forum there are similar reports about various parts of the interior of their A350 falling apart, although admittedly not IFE. The internal fitting out of planes is an airline choice although it has be certified as safe by Airbus. I think in the race to become fuel efficient some corners are being cut on a few components by the fitout manufacturers that are being highlighted as early failures.
Old Mar 3, 19, 8:56 am

I guess that I’ll pay the $20 for WiFi for the entire flight if the screens don’t work. Since I arrive the night of March 10 for my 11:45 AM flight on the 11th, I imagine that I’ll take advantage of the flat seats to sleep 7-8 hours. They still work, don’t they?
Old Mar 4, 19, 10:52 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Dean1953 View Post
I guess that I’ll pay the $20 for WiFi for the entire flight if the screens don’t work. Since I arrive the night of March 10 for my 11:45 AM flight on the 11th, I imagine that I’ll take advantage of the flat seats to sleep 7-8 hours. They still work, don’t they?
They have been having issues with the seats themselves failling on the new config A359s as well. How else do you learn it's part of flight attendant's safety training to know how to bring the seat back to an upright condition manually?

None of the Wifi options are even close to enough data to last a whole flight.

Last edited by firemandan9; Mar 4, 19 at 10:59 am
Old Mar 4, 19, 11:08 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by legameflyer View Post
Are you saying the screens were physically "falling apart" or the IFE software wasn't functioning? I'd find it hard to believe the screens are "literally" falling apart. Someone did post in another forum that the airline is behind on payments to its IFE maintenance provider and service is postponed for now. Priority right now is probably not IFE for people paying only $600 RT for business class seats.

FWIW, the IFE failing on those newer months-old birds speaks larger volumes of the IFE manufacturer's unreliable product.
Not convinced the issue is software per say. The IFE audio amplifier loop is broken or very feedback prone on many but not all of the A359 new config seats.

Search this Thread