Airlines to avoid?

Old Feb 28, 19, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Airlines to avoid?

Planning a trip around SEA and I see a lot of obscure airlines (e.g., JC International, Air KBZ, etc) on some of the routes. What are some of the Asian airlines you'd never take or never take again and why (e.g., safety, crew, etc)?

Personally, I love Air Asia but I'd be a bit hesitant to take Lion Air/Malindo given all of the safety issues that people say they have.
Old Feb 28, 19, 1:34 pm

I'm happy to use AirAsia Bhd and JetStar as they've been around for a while. Also happy with those which are subsidiaries of 'reliable' legacy airlines (e.g. Peach, Scoot). Like you I avoid Lion Air/Malindo because of the incidents. I also avoid MH and CI, which I acknowledge is not fully rational, but I still do it. YMMV.
Old Mar 1, 19, 6:59 am
Ritz-Carlton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX MPC Diamond, BAEC Gold
I wouldn't take Lion/Batik/Wings/Malindo/Thai Lion.
Old Mar 3, 19, 12:14 am
Fyd

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat
I've flown JC International and Air KBZ. They are small airljnes, planes and service are fine. They don't have much of a safety track record but no incidents so far.
i personally avoid Lion Air, they seem to have systemic safety issues, cutting corners on training and maintenance.
For the same reasons, I avoid Air Asia Indonesia...
Old Mar 5, 19, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
Originally Posted by Fyd View Post
i personally avoid Lion Air, they seem to have systemic safety issues, cutting corners on training and maintenance.
For the same reasons, I avoid Air Asia Indonesia...
I just wondered what leads you to this conclusion ?
Old Mar 6, 19, 6:24 am

Which places do you intend to visit? Sometimes you won't have much of a choice, especially in Myanmar, where many smaller airlines operate.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 6, 19, 10:49 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
If there were *no alternatives* for a routing I would take Lion/Batik/Wings/Malindo/Thai Lion (happens in Indonesia with Wings a lot).

But I would never put my family on them, under any circumstances.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 6, 19, 4:23 pm

While I am going to commence my SE Asia trip in a few weeks, Scoot lost most of their credibility (for me) by cancelling my flight from HKG to SIN and booking me on their other flight that would have resulted in a late night arrival instead of the early afternoon plans I had. To make things worse, they're doing everything they can not to refund me, as per their own policy that "changes" involving 3 hours or more in difference permits refunds. After calling twice for a refund confirmation which never came, I just decided to file a chargeback. I am still having to fight it out and lost half a day in Singapore due to their new schedule, so that is something to keep in mind service wise.
Old Mar 7, 19, 11:36 pm
Fyd

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by IAN-UK View Post
I just wondered what leads you to this conclusion ?
They had a number of incidents and, including in the last crash, they have cleared planes to fly despite recurring issues, had incidents based on pilot errors, etc...
Read the incident reports - it's each time a matter of maintenance and pilot error. If it keeps happening over and over, without any corrective action by management, I'd call it a systemic issue and not just bad luck...
you can read about the AirAsia Indo crash reasons here - avoidable maintenance and pilot error....
Old Mar 7, 19, 11:37 pm
Fyd

Originally Posted by Sam Bee View Post
If there were *no alternatives* for a routing I would take Lion/Batik/Wings/Malindo/Thai Lion (happens in Indonesia with Wings a lot).

But I would never put my family on them, under any circumstances.
Same here - sometimes the alternative is a bus or boat - and any plane is safer than that...