No full name on Air China flight

Old Feb 18, 19, 7:41 am
Original Poster

No full name on Air China flight

I have booked a return flight Frankfurt (Germany) - Shanghai with Air China but operated by Lufthansa.
I have 2 First Names and 3 Surnames but I have always used only my first First Name and my last Surname.
Nevertheless, I realise now that chinese airlines require the full name as per in the passport.
The flight is non-refundable and apparently no name changes are allowed therefore I am being offered to buy a new flight.
Has anyone travelled recently with Lufthansa and Air China and had any problems by not using the full name on the ticket?
What about at immigration? Could I have any problems?
I am desperate here.. don't really want to buy a new flight.
Old Feb 18, 19, 3:30 pm

Programs: A3 *G
I flew Air China once and didn't include my middle name. I didn't have any issue. You are making me nervous though as I am flying Shenzhen Airlines next month and again didn't include my middle name.
Old Feb 18, 19, 6:36 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
AFAIK, a missing middle name is always OK. Just too many ways for this to get screwed up across systems that have different concepts of names.

What I do not know is how the multiple surnames works. Take a look at the line near the bottom of the passport that has your name in machine readable form, If the ticket matches the first 2 names listed there I would think you are fine. if not, I would be a bit concerned.

You might call them and see what they can do. If it is obvious the name is really the same, I would hope they can override the blanket restriction on changes (or perhaps a free cancel and reissue if the system does not allow the change at all).
Old Feb 19, 19, 4:02 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), AA OWE (EXP), IHG Plat
Had multiple flights with CA - never had the middle name added and it was never a problem. If you fly on LH metal, check in will be done by LH - so LH rules apply.
Old Feb 19, 19, 12:22 pm

Programs: BAEC, Accor
I think you are overthinking this. Airline systems are based upon technology that was brewed up in the 1960s and can handle really basic text for names. They were never designed for long names, hyphens, apostrophes, non-roman characters and assume that people have at least two names (some don't). Provided that the name in the passport has a good degree of matching to the name on the ticket there is usually no issue. Just go to the check in counter and dont even draw attention to the fact that there might be a mismatch. In the very unlikely event that the check in or gate agent does mention something just play innocent and act surprised - "Is there a difference, are you sure? That's the way I always book the ticket, I am sure I out all the names in when I booked, it's never been queried before. It must be my complicated name". Etc.
Old Feb 19, 19, 12:34 pm

Programs: British Airways Gold
I doubt every Westerner puts their full name when flying a Chinese airline, they will be used to it
Old Feb 20, 19, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
No worries.
Most if not All airline websites now ask that the full name be the same as on the passport. But that is a "joke".
You will not have problem as long as a first name and surname match your passport.
Old Feb 21, 19, 11:51 pm

Programs: TK-G | Accor G | Marriott P | SPG P| Hilton S
Originally Posted by brunos View Post
No worries.
Most if not All airline websites now ask that the full name be the same as on the passport. But that is a "joke".
You will not have problem as long as a first name and surname match your passport.
when it matches passport, it should match the name in MRZ (machine readable zone. your last name should start at 6th charachter, right after the 3 letter of country. that will be your last name and your first name should be anything after <<
chongcao likes this.
Old Jun 14, 19, 3:12 pm

How's everyone's recent experience with a missing middle name? Booked a CA ticket with a first/last name only, middle name missing.

Fwiw US passport lists first and middle names together as a "given name".
Old Jun 15, 19, 4:38 am

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
There will be no issues. I never use my middle name and have never had any problems - neither for CA flights.

If the check-in agent really wants to use your middle, he/she can just swipe your passport and add it when the BP is printed. This can be done regardless if middle name is in the reservation/ticket or not.

Don't overthink this.
tr3k likes this.
Old Jul 15, 19, 9:48 pm

Reporting - no issue, not even a hint of a question. Missing middle name was just fine.
Old Jul 17, 19, 1:26 am

Programs: BAEC, Accor
Originally Posted by tr3k View Post
Reporting - no issue, not even a hint of a question. Missing middle name was just fine.
Thanks for reporting back. So many people ask these kinds of questions, run away with the advice, and fail to update their thread on their experience.
cowie likes this.
Old Aug 31, 19, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by eshroom View Post
I flew Air China once and didn't include my middle name. I didn't have any issue. You are making me nervous though as I am flying Shenzhen Airlines next month and again didn't include my middle name.
Hi eshroom, I wanted to know if you manage to get through okay? I have return tickets booked from London - Vietnam on Shenzhen airlines, however, I have not included my middle name on these. Getting a bit worried after reading some articles..
Old Aug 31, 19, 8:08 am

Programs: A3*G/KFEG
No issues. I fly ZH a lot and have never been questioned with my middle name dropped.
Old Aug 31, 19, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by razorblade View Post
No issues. I fly ZH a lot and have never been questioned with my middle name dropped.
Thanks a lot, gives a bit of reassurance as I got conflicting advice from Shenzhen airlines.

Search this Thread