Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HX - any experience with redeeming points?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA1k; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Gold; IHG Gold; AA Plat Pro
HX - any experience with redeeming points?

How easy/difficult is it to redeem points from Fortune Wings Club to get a long haul business class ticket (SFO or LAX)?
Old Sep 2, 2019, 12:45 pm

Wanted to bump this back up. Dealing with HK airlines can be trying. Any advice out there?
Old Nov 28, 2019, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1k; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Gold; IHG Gold; AA Plat Pro
Another bump - now only LAX flights left. Anyone with experience?
Old Nov 29, 2019, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by 1k650
Another bump - now only LAX flights left. Anyone with experience?
I would not count on HX flying for long.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
I've not checked in the last six months or so, but the last time I did they had no flights available to anywhere for the following six weeks. Used online chat and the agent said that the award inventory is not always included with their inventory updates, so award inventory goes to zero and I should just check back every day for a few weeks. I checked a year ago specifically for a couple of China to HKG routes and again nothing available in any class for like two months. I've given up on them.

Anyone with more recent experience? Maybe with their flights being lighter they are allowing more redemptions? Fares to China have certainly dropped like a stone and I've been on a few that were probably just under half full..
Old Dec 2, 2019, 6:37 am

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
I have given up on them also, going to burn all of their miles on AS before they go bankrupt
Old Dec 3, 2019, 2:06 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Jma12
I have given up on them also, going to burn all of their miles on AS before they go bankrupt
Fortune Wings is the FFP of the Hainan Airlines Group, so even if HK Airlines folds Fortune Wings will still exist, and your points/miles will still be valid for flights on other airlines in the conglomerate and its partners (including AS).
Old Dec 3, 2019, 7:02 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by Finalcall
Fortune Wings is the FFP of the Hainan Airlines Group, so even if HK Airlines folds Fortune Wings will still exist, and your points/miles will still be valid for flights on other airlines in the conglomerate and its partners (including AS).
Would a HK collapse have an effect on HU, and if yes, to what extent?
Old Dec 10, 2019, 7:45 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by narvik
Would a HK collapse have an effect on HU, and if yes, to what extent?
I would guess not much or slightly positive, but that's just a guess. HX has been a cash drain on its owners who used to include Hainan Group but it is not currently clear if Hainan still have an equity stake or how much.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 10:42 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by uanj
I would guess not much or slightly positive, but that's just a guess. HX has been a cash drain on its owners who used to include Hainan Group but it is not currently clear if Hainan still have an equity stake or how much.
Oh, I thought Hainan still owned a large portion of HK.

Cheers.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 12:44 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
HX has been a cash drain on its owners who used to include Hainan Group but it is not currently clear if Hainan still have an equity stake or how much.
Operating cash flow wise true

But from a financing perspective HX has been borrowing for HNA Group https://www.thestandnews.com/finance...3%87%E9%87%91/
Old Dec 12, 2019, 5:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm pretty sure HX is still part of the HNA Group. Furthermore, my gut tells me that HNA --well known for taking on extreme risks-- remains HX's most likely savior. That having been said, HNA itself has been divesting of assets at a somewhat alarming rate.
narvik likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.