China Southern--where to credit in 2019

Old Feb 12, 19, 6:27 am
Original Poster

China Southern--where to credit in 2019

I understand from this forum that China Southern is out of the Skyteam Alliance. I have a flight on Feb. 23 in business. Although Delta's website still lists China Southern as a partner airline for which one can earn Delta miles, I'm not sure that is correct. And I'm not seeing any evidence that the relationship with American is active yet. Assuming one cannot get Delta or American miles, as a US traveler with frequent flyer accounts in all the US based airlines, as well as BA, what would folks suggest for where to credit my upcoming flight on China Southern? In other words, where would the miles not get wasted? Thank you in advance for your thoughts.
Old Feb 12, 19, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My end of 2018 understanding was that they would only continue to award SkyTeam partners for 2019 flights booked during 2018, but I'm honestly not certain of this interpretation. Would be interested in getting a data point or two.

Meanwhile, many CZ flights have AA flight numbers. For now, I believe you need to book with the AA code in order to earn miles. Of course, this often entails paying a substantial premium.

Eta: I just checked out where to credit.com. Although not a definitive source, they currently list a lot of SkyTeam airlines, but not Delta.

Last edited by moondog; Feb 12, 19 at 8:40 am
Old Feb 12, 19, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

I just called China Southern and was told they have no partners for the Toronto to Guanzhou flight. We spent a lot of money for our business tickets, booked through CZ, thinking they were part of Skyteam, and am so disappointed the only miles we could earn would be on CZ, which I will not likely fly again. Any suggestions?
Old Feb 13, 19, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
For 2019, CZ is treated as a ST member, even though it left ST. What happens after 2019 is unknown.
tris06 likes this.
Old Feb 13, 19, 7:51 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
Correct I flew CZ just the past few weeks they are still admitting skyteam elite plus members to their lounges (while flying economy/premium economy) and I also had the miles added to my CI (China airlines ) account. So you should have no trouble getting the miles into your Delta account. At the end of 2019 look in the news for any announcement from CZ if they intend to fully end cooperation with Skyteam members.
Old Mar 12, 19, 5:51 am
Original Poster

I wanted to report back that I did get Delta miles for my YYZ-CAN-REP itininerry on China Southern in late February. Was not much given the distance and dollar cost (could not find flights using miles). I received 1 Delta mile per mile even though I was on a business class ticket in far class D. Disappointing but better than the zero I had feared.
Old Mar 12, 19, 8:20 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by sharonsimon View Post
I wanted to report back that I did get Delta miles for my YYZ-CAN-REP itininerry on China Southern in late February. Was not much given the distance and dollar cost (could not find flights using miles). I received 1 Delta mile per mile even though I was on a business class ticket in far class D. Disappointing but better than the zero I had feared.
It I think it is Delta that cut points earnt from skyteam flights. As an example if I fly business class even I class which is cheaper than D class business class ticket I will get 125 percent mileage into my CI account.
Delta is just kindly reminding you it prefers you fly on Delta planes only to max your points.
Old Mar 28, 19, 3:08 pm

My China Southern flight was still crediting to Delta March 25 but I booked my tickets last year though and put Delta when I purchased my ticket.
Old Apr 2, 19, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
As of March 20, 2019 you may now credit CZ miles to AA or redeem AA miles for CZ flights, but earning does not count as Elite Qualifying. If it's AA code on CZ it will be treated as if it's an AA flight, including Elite Qualifying miles and etc.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...n-airlines.jsp

Search this Thread