Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines
Reload this Page >

Flying Shenzhen Airlines as a (United Airlines) Star Alliance Gold

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2019, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MP (1K, 1MM)

Recently I took my first intra-Asia flight on Shenzhen (WUX-JJN-BKK-JJN-WUX). Here's my list list of experiences as a Star Alliance Gold member (I'm currently a 1K United flyer):
  1. Using the Shenzhen Airlines web site to check-in for my flight 24 hours in advanced did not work; I could not get past the screen to select seats.
  2. I arrived 3 hours before my WUX-JJN and BKK-JJN flights which was one hour too early. ZH didn't start checking people in until the 2 hour mark. (BKK-JJN was an international first leg...)
  3. The 737-800/900 was divided into 3 cabins:
    1. First class with two rows of 2-2 seating and *very* generous pitch, maybe 56 inches? Regardless you'd not have to worry about stepping over someone if seated at the window
    2. A mini-economy cabin in rows three through six, with 3-3 seating. Hard/Solid bulkhead in front of row 3 and a curtain (which was never closed) between rows 6 & 7.
    3. The rest of economy was from rows 7 on back to ... gosh, I have no idea when it ended.
    4. Economy had only 2 lavs, located at the back of the economy cabin.
    5. Pitch in economy felt like 34", though I did not measure. Usually for 31" pitch my knees are giving the person in front of me a kidney massage, and 32" touches the seatback pocket. I had a couple inches of room before the pocket.
  4. I was seated in row 3 for WUX-JJN-BKK. Each flight segment received a meal for this row, though WUX-JJN (domestic China flight) received only a chopped mixed fruit "meal". The JJN-BKK received a hot lunch meal with a few "side" dishes. While edible, it wasn't anything to write home about. Kind of bland tasting, but definitely better than what you'd find in the dining cars for China's high-speed trains.
  5. I was seated in row 7 for BKK-JJN-WUX. The first segment received a hot dinner meal (slightly more food than the lunch that was served JJN-WUX). No food was served for JJN-WUX for my part of economy cabin but rows 3-6 did receive the chopped mixed fruit "meal".
  6. IFE was limited to overhead screens showing some odd Chinese movie.
For each segment one of the flight attendants came up to me and, in English, told me how long the flight time would be and handed me a bottle of water and a warm blanket. This was not done to any of the other passengers. So I'm wondering if this was special treatment as a Star Alliance Gold flyer?

Also to note: I had to follow the procedures for immigration (both exit and entrance) at JJN. The process was really speedy and easy to do with a 40-60 minute connection. There was, however, no E-Channel queue and I had to fill-out the appropriate paperwork.

The VIP lounge (as it was called) at WUX (domestic terminal area) was terrible. The one at JJN was even worse. No alcohol provided at either one. Food was prepacked items that I could not figure out. WUX did have some hot food options, but it was breakfast food and *very* limited to hard boiled eggs, some sort of soup, some fried dough sticks (inedible), and corn on the cob. Honestly, I'd skip the lounges again unless the terminal was overly crowded. The Air China lounge at PVG is *way* better, and that's saying something.

Overall the experience on Shenzhen was quite nice, though only receiving 75% RDMs & PQMs for U or M economy fare classes (my ticket did not start with 016) is a bit of a bummer. There's also no bonus for buying up to premium cabins ... gah! Depending on where I fly in China, I will not hesitate to fly Shenzhen again, provided the price is right.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 6:12 pm

Programs: AS MVP
You are right, the personal welcome is a special treatment for *G member.

In terms of lounge, I am a bit confused, which lounge did you go to in WUX? I remembered there is a KING Lounge in WUX which is ZH's own branded lounge and this should be quite good. In fact, most of the ZH's own KING Lounges (SZX, NKG, CAN, XIY should have them) are considered very good, especially compared to those run by the airport (such as the one in JJN). They usually have freshly made noodle and other hot dishes options available.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 7:05 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
domestic Lounges in China are very limited.Some only offer beer and soft drinks which is okay if for a short stay.Often in member lounges the hot food will only be served between certain times like 6:30am-9am, 11:30am-2pm and 5:30-8pm. Outside these times you will be usually limited to making for yourself 2 min noodles. Member lounges is usually not where The business class passengers go which is a little bit better staffed and stocked.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 11:33 am

King lounges are definitely pretty good.

JJN lounge (generic airport one..) has 3 different areas (one is "Silver", one Gold, one Platin or something like that) unless they recently changed it, and at least Gold and Platin have beer (Cold Tsingtao) - not really much food apart from some nibbles.

The Blanket and Water treatment is *G, I received the same each time.

I prefer Shenzhen over Air China for domestic flights within China.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.