Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines
Reload this Page >

China Airlines (CI) 2019 Lunar New Year Pilot Strike - What is going on?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

China Airlines (CI) 2019 Lunar New Year Pilot Strike - What is going on?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2019, 5:54 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by tris06
Yes by April if CI did not give into the unions demands the strike would have failed.
By the way the union demand of not hiring foriegn pilots has nothing to do with safety but just trying to make sure in the future if the union wants to strike for any reason they want 100 percent pilots to be striking to ensure they can make any crazy claim they want and probably get it. However CI management if they really care to aviod this in the future they should keep hiring foriegn pilots while the union keeps being agressive. 85 percent normal daily capacity flying out is still managable at this stage. The remaining 15 percent should be able to easily be put on alternative flights with other carriers if need be.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by flyingeverywhere1
CI starts to cancel flights long haul flights extending into next week..

Looks like JFK, FCO, MEL, HNL, and BNE-AKL segment are the ones that are given up by CI. Short haul flights are still assessed on a daily basis.
They are cutting all the destinations with long layovers so that pilots can be turned around faster.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:59 am

By the way the union demand of not hiring foriegn pilots has nothing to do with safety but just trying to make sure in the future if the union wants to strike for any reason they want 100 percent pilots to be striking to ensure they can make any crazy claim they want and probably get it. However CI management if they really care to aviod this in the future they should keep hiring foriegn pilots while the union keeps being agressive. 85 percent normal daily capacity flying out is still managable at this stage. The remaining 15 percent should be able to easily be put on alternative flights with other carriers if need be.
What's funny is that CI only has ~150 foreign pilots, compared to BR's 400+. But you don't get a peep about foreigners at BR!

I will repeat that FA's are the whole cause of this disaster. Greedy FA's led to greedy pilots, since they found out that they can ask for the moon and get it. Also, I find it very concerning CI did not implement FRMS or utilize Jeppesen model scheduling for their crew members. CI6 comes to mind when you hear about these things at the negotiations.

Keep fighting, Chairman Ho!
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:30 am

Programs: AC MM
Seeing that this is going to drag on for a while, China Airlines should at least give the option to passengers who are booked for the next 3 - 4 weeks on their flights to cancel with full refund so that there is still time to purchase alternative flights to destinations.
If it's only 7 days before, it will be most likely to late to still get reasonable pricing.

At least with other airlines it has always been clear on which days exactly the strike will be and for how long a time period, like last year with Air France where it went on over a month but dates were 100% clear and people could refund and re-book. With this strike there aren't many options, leaving many travelers stranded, not only loosing their flights with CI but loosing a lot of money due to other arrangements that have been made at the destination.

It's to bad but it shows the airline's attitude in general it seems.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by yvrcnx
Seeing that this is going to drag on for a while, China Airlines should at least give the option to passengers who are booked for the next 3 - 4 weeks on their flights to cancel with full refund so that there is still time to purchase alternative flights to destinations.
If it's only 7 days before, it will be most likely to late to still get reasonable pricing.

At least with other airlines it has always been clear on which days exactly the strike will be and for how long a time period, like last year with Air France where it went on over a month but dates were 100% clear and people could refund and re-book. With this strike there aren't many options, leaving many travelers stranded, not only loosing their flights with CI but loosing a lot of money due to other arrangements that have been made at the destination.

It's to bad but it shows the airline's attitude in general it seems.
Because the strike is not operating at 100%, flights are still going out (~85%). They cannot offer you changes/refunds if your booked flight is still going out. That would be extreme and flights would instead be going out empty (more money lost). They are doing a great job with rebooking/refunds right now since they have already contacted all their interline partners to help accommodate them. Even BR stepped in to help and ran some upgauged flights to HKG, TYO etc.
yvrcnx likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by hayzel7773
Because the strike is not operating at 100%, flights are still going out (~85%). They cannot offer you changes/refunds if your booked flight is still going out. That would be extreme and flights would instead be going out empty (more money lost). They are doing a great job with rebooking/refunds right now since they have already contacted all their interline partners to help accommodate them. Even BR stepped in to help and ran some upgauged flights to HKG, TYO etc.
That's good to know and I am glad to hear that they are being pro-active on re-booking/re-funding people which will go a long way with travelers.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Technically it's less than 85%, we just ignore cargo flights. CI's current strategy of employing more pilots than needed is a good way to maneuver or get by emergency events (such as strike).

It will be interesting to see whether the government forces CI to cave in (looking to be the case), or it will go to arbitration which the Taoyuan city have to step in (and probably announce emergency situation to end the strike). If CI is to cave in, the next target for the union will be BR. In that case I would suggest everyone to avoid these two airlines when making reservations in the future (as it can just be strike after strike or threats after threats every year).
Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by coolfish1103
Technically it's less than 85%, we just ignore cargo flights. CI's current strategy of employing more pilots than needed is a good way to maneuver or get by emergency events (such as strike).

It will be interesting to see whether the government forces CI to cave in (looking to be the case), or it will go to arbitration which the Taoyuan city have to step in (and probably announce emergency situation to end the strike). If CI is to cave in, the next target for the union will be BR. In that case I would suggest everyone to avoid these two airlines when making reservations in the future (as it can just be strike after strike or threats after threats every year).
BR’s collective bargaining agreement signed last month has a no-strike and no-work slowdown clause in it.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by hayzel7773

BR’s collective bargaining agreement signed last month has a no-strike and no-work slowdown clause in it.

I believe it's under the clause that BR's pay (or certain benefits, hours) has to be the best in the industry. Not going to be so if CI just cave in on everything. I don't recall the exact clause or phrase and I ain't part of BR so I don't have those paperwork, so feel free to correct me (since you are likely part of them).

Plus, it's not just pilots who can strike
Old Feb 13, 2019, 5:55 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Yes I guessed cargo was being cancelled to prioritise the passenger flights. Cargo probably gets to its destination eventually just delayed a couple of days.

Also I bet CI is happy they kept 4 747s in the fleet so they can reduce flights to HKG or Shanghai but increase seating capacity.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 6:27 pm

Was going to book a flight next week or two on China Air , who I have flown with many times ,

Now I am not so sure if it looks like China Air will not take care if there happens to be a strike that week .

Do you think this will be going on most of March ?
Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:38 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

While the strike could last into March it is more likely that it will be ended by then.

Also all passengers are getting to there destination if slightly delayed as the airline is rebooking them on competitor airlines like BR.

Chinese New Year peak traffic should start reducing in about 1 week so there should be more empty seats flying out even if the odd flight is cancelled. LAX or SFO has been cancelled 1 time I think in 5 or 6 days?
Old Feb 13, 2019, 10:55 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Strike over 華航指逾百名機師退出罷工 明日航班可望恢復正常 ???? - ?? - ???????????? ?????????? - tvb.com
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:58 am

Strike not yet over, but seems like it will soon.

Union wants CI to release it's rights to legal process against the union but CI management says no.

You can watch them here

Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:44 pm

Some good news, strike is over.

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/arti...-end-week-long

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.