Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines
Reload this Page >

China Airlines (CI) 2019 Lunar New Year Pilot Strike - What is going on?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

China Airlines (CI) 2019 Lunar New Year Pilot Strike - What is going on?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:16 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by yvrcnx
It is now day 5 of the strike and China Airlines will have an uphill battle after this gaining customers' trust again, at least here in Vancouver where it is now all over the news since flights got cancelled each day of the weekend, leaving 100's of passengers stranded.
Today's inbound flight is operating as scheduled and the return currently also listed as operating on time but no-one knows if there will be a flight tomorrow.
A refund is of little help when travelers have arrangements worth 100's or 1,000's of $ more unless they have travel insurance, in which case they would most likely receive all their money back from other travel arrangements as well.

Even before the strike CI had to compete mostly based on price, nothing unusual there, but it is definitely operating in the shadow of EVA Air which is more popular with the local community and usually also offers better service. Once this strike is over and who knows when this is going to happen now, it will definitely be a challenge and the only hope is that customers often have a short term memory when it comes to these kind of experiences.
I don't think it is anywhere that bad.
CI is paying the price of giving into all FA demands a year or 2 ago. Now the expectation is that CI can't stop any union demands. I am sure customers are made to suffer but then any industrial action hurts the customer. Also you find that each time you give into the unions the more you raise their expectations and it is always going to happen again. Lets just be logical humans are never fully satisfied and always want more. Those airlines with no negotiation on strikes suffer very rarely from strikes. Again look at Qantas which had quite a few strikes 1 around 10 years ago until the current CEO just said enough is enough and shut the business down for nearly a week.

You will have some customers blaming the airline but you are likely to have a similar number of passengers blaming the striking pilots.
Lucky I don't have any flights at the moment with CI.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:23 pm

Programs: AC MM
Originally Posted by tris06
I don't think it is anywhere that bad.
CI is paying the price of giving into all FA demands a year or 2 ago. Now the expectation is that CI can't stop any union demands. I am sure customers are made to suffer but then any industrial action hurts the customer. Also you find that each time you give into the unions the more you raise their expectations and it is always going to happen again. Lets just be logical humans are never fully satisfied and always want more. Those airlines with no negotiation on strikes suffer very rarely from strikes. Again look at Qantas which had quite a few strikes 1 around 10 years ago until the current CEO just said enough is enough and shut the business down for nearly a week.

You will have some customers blaming the airline but you are likely to have a similar number of passengers blaming the striking pilots.
Lucky I don't have any flights at the moment with CI.
I do agree with you completely that by giving in, they just want more and personally I hope that at the end of this, China Airlines will come out better as I do like the airline and how far it's come.
We don't have any flights with CI until beginning of March, hopefully things will have settled by then.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:19 pm

Programs: Enrich
Originally Posted by krispykrme

1. Union changed the demand. It was never clearly stated until Lee made that request on the 9th.

2. How is management poor? When the pilots are asking for the moon?

7 hour flight time
relax blood alcohol testing
none of the crew averaged more than 72 hours flight time per month

CI isn’t making that much money. Pilots and Flight attendants were greedy. I said several years ago when flight attendants strike happened- union is bad for CI. We are just seeing this happening again.

While I made mistake on flight time, but the relax alcohol is false news made by CI.

https://www.chinatimes.com/cn/realti...8000786-260405

I would not say they greedy. Until now, CI management didn't even fulfill half of the promised negotiation betwen the FA union during 2016 strike.

https://tw.appledaily.com/new/realti...90209/1514696/
Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:03 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Originally Posted by dici
While I made mistake on flight time, but the relax alcohol is false news made by CI.

https://www.chinatimes.com/cn/realti...8000786-260405
Incorrect. It's been discussed thoroughly

here https://www.ptt.cc/bbs/Aviation/M.1549879119.A.89F.html and
here https://www.ptt.cc/bbs/Aviation/M.1549937005.A.0A5.html

A really big mistake the union made.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 4:28 am

Programs: AAdvantage
CI starts to cancel flights long haul flights extending into next week..

Looks like JFK, FCO, MEL, HNL, and BNE-AKL segment are the ones that are given up by CI. Short haul flights are still assessed on a daily basis.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by coolfish1103
Incorrect. It's been discussed thoroughly

here https://www.ptt.cc/bbs/Aviation/M.1549879119.A.89F.html and
here https://www.ptt.cc/bbs/Aviation/M.1549937005.A.0A5.html

A really big mistake the union made.
The alcohol thing is a totally silly mistake by the union. Part of it is because the old TPU head was fired for alcohol!

After viewing the public negotiations CI had, we now know the state of company pilot management. To this day, they still do not have FRMS or utilization of the Jeppesen Model by Boeing for their scheduling. They are only beginning to implement these two, while their fellow airlines have been using these for not just pilots but even FA's! Does CI not remember that part of the CI6 report conclusion was poor scheduling that resulted in extreme fatigue? I get that FRMS and the Jeppesen system are expensive, but come on...

However, CI management has proved to be skilled, experienced, and aggressive negotiators at the table.

Last edited by hayzel7773; Feb 12, 2019 at 1:17 pm
Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by hayzel7773

The alcohol thing is a totally silly mistake by the union. Part of it is because the old TPU head was fired for alcohol!

After viewing the public negotiations CI had, we now know the state of company pilot management. To this day, they still do not have FRMS or utilization of the Jeppesen Model by Boeing for their scheduling. They are only beginning to implement these two, while their fellow airlines have been using these for not just pilots but even FA's! Does CI not remember that part of the CI6 report conclusion was poor scheduling that resulted in extreme fatigue? I get that FRMS and the Jeppesen system are expensive, but come on...

However, CI management has proved to be skilled, experienced, and aggressive negotiators at the table.
I suggest everyone who understands mandarin to follow the live stream rather than just reading what we type here or relate.

Live-??????????????Live?????

You can make the opinion yourself.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 10:48 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Gold AA Gold NW Silver Marriott Plat. SPG Plat. Hilton Gold Hertz 5 Star
Originally Posted by flyingeverywhere1
CI starts to cancel flights long haul flights extending into next week..

Looks like JFK, FCO, MEL, HNL, and BNE-AKL segment are the ones that are given up by CI. Short haul flights are still assessed on a daily basis.
if a long haul flight like JFK is given up, then do they re accommodate to BR being the easiest or do they try and fly you to ICN and put you on KE?
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:06 am

Programs: Delta Silver, United 2P, SQ, SPG Plat, PC Plat AMB, Hyatt Dia, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat
My CI return to JFK is (was) 2/19. Flight now cancelled. Nothing from CI. Today I finally was able to contact them on the phone and they informed my entire travelling party of 3 rebooked on BR. But nothing from them, no email, no call. Question: Party was booked on CI in premium economy with seats selected. Checking in online on BR no seats together. Very frustrated with CI. Travelling with a 2 yr old child.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:11 am

Programs: Delta Silver, United 2P, SQ, SPG Plat, PC Plat AMB, Hyatt Dia, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat
Never again

Even before the strike CI had to compete mostly based on price, nothing unusual there, but it is definitely operating in the shadow of EVA Air which is more popular with the local community and usually also offers better service. Once this strike is over and who knows when this is going to happen now, it will definitely be a challenge and the only hope is that customers often have a short term memory when it comes to these kind of experiences.
This plus getting rid of the fantastic family couch has sealed it for me. Never flying CI again. Fortunately, CI has rebooked our return to JFK on BR in same class (premium economy).
yvrcnx likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:38 am

Programs: AC MM
Originally Posted by CanuckinKL
My CI return to JFK is (was) 2/19. Flight now cancelled. Nothing from CI. Today I finally was able to contact them on the phone and they informed my entire travelling party of 3 rebooked on BR. But nothing from them, no email, no call. Question: Party was booked on CI in premium economy with seats selected. Checking in online on BR no seats together. Very frustrated with CI. Travelling with a 2 yr old child.
If they start cancelling flights 7 days out, it looks like this is going to take a while and I am now getting concerned about flights we are booked on with CI 2nd week of March. If I could cancel now and get a refund, I would do it right away and re-book on another airline but I know it doesn't work that way.
It is good that they re-booked you on BR and hopefully you can get seats together at online check-in or latest at the airport.
BR does seem to be blocking a lot of seats well in advance, especially in PE.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:52 am

Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
Union ask is getting ridiculous every minute

Now they want CI to agree nonpromotion for foreign FO to captain. CI also need to agree on cutting down on foreign pilots every single year.

greedy union
tris06 and hayzel7773 like this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 1:03 am

If they start cancelling flights 7 days out, it looks like this is going to take a while and I am now getting concerned about flights we are booked on with CI 2nd week of March. If I could cancel now and get a refund, I would do it right away and re-book on another airline but I know it doesn't work that way.
It is good that they re-booked you on BR and hopefully you can get seats together at online check-in or latest at the airport.
BR does seem to be blocking a lot of seats well in advance, especially in PE.
Man this indeed is concerning. I'm planning for a SGN-TPE-HNL on CI on last week of April....I'm assuming this whole thing should blow over by then?!......But yeah march definitely seems sketchy now
Old Feb 13, 2019, 1:21 am

Originally Posted by ginmqi
Man this indeed is concerning. I'm planning for a SGN-TPE-HNL on CI on last week of April....I'm assuming this whole thing should blow over by then?!......But yeah march definitely seems sketchy now
I wouldn't worry about April. It will have to be done with the meetings or the hard way.
ginmqi likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 5:47 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by coolfish1103
I wouldn't worry about April. It will have to be done with the meetings or the hard way.
Yes by April if CI did not give into the unions demands the strike would have failed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.