Philippine Airlines transit through Manila

Old Jan 25, 2019, 12:51 am
Original Poster

Philippine Airlines transit through Manila

Hi, I'm travelling on PAL via Manila for the first time in the coming weeks, PR721 (28th Feb) and transiting to PR711 (1st March) PAL's website suggests that I may need to go to a transit desk in Manila to get the boarding pass for PR211.

Historically all of my previous transits have resulted in me being given my boarding pass at my departing airport all the way through to the end destination. Is anyone able to confirm if this will be the case with me? (it's all on ome booking)
Old Jan 25, 2019, 3:29 am
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
Originally Posted by razorfaat
Hi, I'm travelling on PAL via Manila for the first time in the coming weeks, PR721 (28th Feb) and transiting to PR711 (1st March) PAL's website suggests that I may need to go to a transit desk in Manila to get the boarding pass for PR211.

Historically all of my previous transits have resulted in me being given my boarding pass at my departing airport all the way through to the end destination. Is anyone able to confirm if this will be the case with me? (it's all on ome booking)
I transited with PR intl-intl at MNL T2 twice in a weekend a couple of weeks ago. Both times I had boarding passes on my phone AND physical ones, yet was directed to the desk by ground staff anyway. I went, both times they took my BP and passport and checked .. something ..?, told me where the lounge was and pointed me to security. It's not obvious to me that this step was required at all, but OTOH it only took 30 seconds or so. The desk can't be any more than 10 metres from transfer security, with a handful of arrivals immigration kiosks separating them.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: BAEC
Suggest you read this thread

Philippine Airlines J class review LHR-HKG via MNL.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Thanks both, much appreciated.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 5:55 am

Programs: LH, PG, BA, SPG, HH
You should get a boarding pass for your second flight at the original check in. However your transit process will depend on what terminal your flight goes from. Also is it domestic or international.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:29 am

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
Originally Posted by dsf
I transited with PR intl-intl at MNL T2 twice in a weekend a couple of weeks ago. Both times I had boarding passes on my phone AND physical ones, yet was directed to the desk by ground staff anyway. I went, both times they took my BP and passport and checked .. something ..?, told me where the lounge was and pointed me to security. It's not obvious to me that this step was required at all, but OTOH it only took 30 seconds or so. The desk can't be any more than 10 metres from transfer security, with a handful of arrivals immigration kiosks separating them.
This is exactly what happens. I've tried to by-pass this stupid step before with no success. It's fine if you are in Business. If you are in Economy the queue can get quite long. Particularly for the (single!) security check afterwards!
turtlemichael likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:29 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Originally Posted by fairhsa
This is exactly what happens. I've tried to by-pass this stupid step before with no success. It's fine if you are in Business. If you are in Economy the queue can get quite long. Particularly for the (single!) security check afterwards!
if its a long transit I usually enter the country, go outside and get some Jollibee and some 'fresh' air and then re-enter - these formalities are generally a fairly quick procedure

I have also experienced the long economy transit line - it was ponderous and seemingly pointless but nothing to get too worked up about.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AC 50K MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
PAL T1 - T2 transit and lounge options (long layover)

I'm flying YVR-MNL-BKK on a single reservation with Philippine Airlines in Business class. Unfortunately a very early morning arrival gives us about 5 hour layover.

1) Is the T1 to T2 transfer shuttle AIRSIDE?
2) Is it possible to use the T1 business class lounge for a few hours before going to T2? I hear the T1 contract lounge is more recently updated than the dreadful T2 Mabuhay lounge.
3) Any facilities for short term sleeping? Not worth going to a hotel for such a short stay. Probably not worth entering the country either, since nothing to do so early in morning.

Thanks for any tips you can provide.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 1:03 am

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Originally Posted by YVR guy
I'm flying YVR-MNL-BKK on a single reservation with Philippine Airlines in Business class. Unfortunately a very early morning arrival gives us about 5 hour layover.

2) Is it possible to use the T1 business class lounge for a few hours before going to T2? I hear the T1 contract lounge is more recently updated than the dreadful T2 Mabuhay lounge.
3) Any facilities for short term sleeping? Not worth going to a hotel for such a short stay. Probably not worth entering the country either, since nothing to do so early in morning.

1) as far as I can tell it's landside - therefore you will be entering the country (not done a terminal transfer myself)
2) I would say no - yes T2 lounge is very basic, but not exactly dreadful
3) never come across short term sleeping facility
Old Nov 6, 2019, 7:24 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by YVR guy

There is no way to transfer between terminals airside. The shuttle is landside. From my experience, you cannot use the T1 lounge unless your flight is out of T1 because they won't even let you into the terminal (someone with a more recent experience can confirm or deny this). However, I wouldn't recommend visiting the T1 lounge even if you're able to. Transfers between terminals can be a real PITA. Sometimes its a breeze, other times it can take forever, but the traffic there can make it hard to predict. I just wouldn't risk it. Personally, I would just hang out in the T2 lounge and try to find a quiet corner for a little nap.
KL803 likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by eneq
There is no way to transfer between terminals airside. The shuttle is landside.
Absolutely incorrect. After just flying this trip I had the option to transfer from T1 to T2 Airside or Landside.

However due to the long layover I opted to enter the country for a few hours. For some bizarre reason they still want you to go to the transfer desk to get a "manifest" to present to the immigration officer. PAL then has a "premium" free shuttle landside from T1 to T2. Or you can take the regular free airport landside terminal shuttle.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 9:56 pm

that's great to hear there is an airside transit option

On long transits I have just entered PHL as normal and not advised anyone. If an immigration officer asks purpose of visit, I just say I am entering to get Jollibee. And never had a problem.
vincewy and dav662 like this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 11:24 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by jeffrocowboy
that's great to hear there is an airside transit option

On long transits I have just entered PHL as normal and not advised anyone. If an immigration officer asks purpose of visit, I just say I am entering to get Jollibee. And never had a problem.
BTW which terminal is Jolliibee located? I'll have a few hours in between TPE and YYZ in MNL, I may just choose to go landside and grab some jollibee to kill some time.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by vincewy
BTW which terminal is Jolliibee located? I'll have a few hours in between TPE and YYZ in MNL, I may just choose to go landside and grab some jollibee to kill some time.

I think Jollibee is at every terminal I believe, but always landside. I saw it at T1. Just check google maps and zoom in. You'll see the locations.
vincewy likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 4:20 am

Programs: LH, PG, BA, SPG, HH
Terminal 2 the Jollibee is outside on the Departures level between the international and Domestic sections of the terminal

Terminal 3 the Jollibee is inside on the arrivals levels near the escalators going up to Departures and the Manila Runway (the footbridge over to Reorts World)
vincewy likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.