my review of Air Asia

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2019, 2:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
my review of Air Asia

My first experience with Air Asia was far from impressive:
- the flight (SIN-KUL) operated one hour late;
- the pilot blamed the delay on the late arrival of the incoming flight - which was incorrect;
- the gate agents did not make any announcements about the delay. All they did was press buttons to commence canned announcements;
- the FAs refused to assist a parent with a re-seating request so he could assist a minor.
I brought this to the attention of their customer service department. Below I have reproduced their reply:

In response to your email for booking xxxxxx, please be informed that the flight has been delayed due to an operational requirement. We are extremely concerned to learn of your disappointing experience with us and understand how frustrating it must have been to linger at the airport long. Occasional delays are part of air travel today. Much as we dislike delays, we cannot avoid them. We would rather delay the flight, than risking the safety of our guests.
Air Asia offers passengers affordable services and low fares. Consequently, for any change to the original plan, the liability that we are able to absorb shall be limited in costs and not affordable by us. Furthermore, our terms and conditions inform the guest that at any time after a booking has been made we may change our schedules and/or cancel, terminate, divert, postpone reschedule or delay any flight where we reasonably consider this to be justified by circumstances beyond our control or for reasons of safety or commercial reasons.
We encourage you to purchase AirAsia Insure Travel Protection for your future flight so that you could obtain compensation which it covers personal accident, flight cancellation/delay, lost or damaged baggage and 24 hours worldwide travel assistance.

Is my experience the exception? I am surprised to see their satisfaction #s so high, when from my experience the crew don't give a.............!
Old Jan 20, 2019, 4:52 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
My first experience with Air Asia was far from impressive:
- the flight (SIN-KUL) operated one hour late;
- the pilot blamed the delay on the late arrival of the incoming flight - which was incorrect;
- the gate agents did not make any announcements about the delay. All they did was press buttons to commence canned announcements;
- the FAs refused to assist a parent with a re-seating request so he could assist a minor.
I brought this to the attention of their customer service department. Below I have reproduced their reply:

In response to your email for booking xxxxxx, please be informed that the flight has been delayed due to an operational requirement. We are extremely concerned to learn of your disappointing experience with us and understand how frustrating it must have been to linger at the airport long. Occasional delays are part of air travel today. Much as we dislike delays, we cannot avoid them. We would rather delay the flight, than risking the safety of our guests.
Air Asia offers passengers affordable services and low fares. Consequently, for any change to the original plan, the liability that we are able to absorb shall be limited in costs and not affordable by us. Furthermore, our terms and conditions inform the guest that at any time after a booking has been made we may change our schedules and/or cancel, terminate, divert, postpone reschedule or delay any flight where we reasonably consider this to be justified by circumstances beyond our control or for reasons of safety or commercial reasons.
We encourage you to purchase AirAsia Insure Travel Protection for your future flight so that you could obtain compensation which it covers personal accident, flight cancellation/delay, lost or damaged baggage and 24 hours worldwide travel assistance.

Is my experience the exception? I am surprised to see their satisfaction #s so high, when from my experience the crew don't give a.............!
AirAsia is indeed said to be among the best among the other LCCs in South East Asia. Compare it to Scoot in a similar situation, and the service should be a lot worst.

(That said, the one time I chose to flew Scoot, the F/As were hostile and actually barked at everyone for any of the slightest inconvenience to them)
downinit likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 8:19 pm

Programs: Enrich
Is the aircraft arrives 50 minutes before departure or 20 minutes before departure? Since the turn around times usually requires 30 to 45 minutes, any arrival at gates with less than 20 minutes to departure will consider late arrival.

As for gate agent, usually those are contract, I believe is Dnata? They usually not so helpful in several ways, in Changi airport...

I believe the company policy on seat change as there always some people try to sneak onto hot seat after departure.... some more you could do online check in to choose your seat by free

For AirAsia travel insurance, never ever purchase them. In my experience, it almost completely useless. It is better to other purchase travel insurance yourself.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 7:12 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
What's the problem? Nothing you have listed is significant.
1. Ok so the flight was delayed. Short hop asian flights are notorious for this especially when there is weather. All it takes is a couple tarmac delays and there is a cascade. Over the past few days, flights have been cancelled and delayed for hours in North America so this isn't an issue specific to Air Asia. It's not as if United has the best on time performance either is it. yet you fly that airline regularly,

2. The gate agents did not make any announcements about the delay. All they did was press buttons to commence canned announcements: So? Nothing unusual in that. The GA staff can only say something when they have information. It was an hour, hardly a crisis.

3. The FAs refused to assist a parent with a re-seating request so he could assist a minor: Do you know the history behind the issue? What seats were implicated? As mentioned above, any chance these were hot seats the parent was trying to purloin? Air Asia has the option of pre selection of seats. Nothing stopped the parent from doing this, unless he didn't want to pay. In the case of a minor requirement, Air Asia can and will reassign seats.

Air Asia is a LCC. It provides an excellent value proposition and a service experience that is as good as EU and North American carrier domestic service. When you pay a relatively cheap airfare, it is unreasonable to expect a flawless experience. I don't like Air Asia, but I use them when I need a bus ride under 90 minutes.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
I don't like Air Asia, but I use them when I need a bus ride under 90 minutes.
I am quite happy to use them for semi-TPACs, in the front cabin. Wont be so keen for the flight in the back KIX-KUL, I'll give you that.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 3:08 am

Programs: FB Gold
What are you complaining about? You could have flown SQ or MH but you chose a budget airline instead. A 1 hour delay, it happens. No info from gate agents, what can they say if they don't know anything? Re-seating on a budget airline? Seriously? If you want to sit next to someone you pay to reserve seats together when you book.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 3:22 am

I don't understand why people book LCCs and then complain about small delays, expect cabin crew to provide extensive service, want lots of engagement from ground staff...Isn't giving up some of these part of the deal for cheap tickets?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 3:41 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Agneisse
I don't understand why people book LCCs and then complain about small delays, expect cabin crew to provide extensive service, want lots of engagement from ground staff...Isn't giving up some of these part of the deal for cheap tickets?
If the ticket is cheap; LCCs can charge like FSCs if schedule is in demand.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 3:34 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
1) OP had a one hour delay. Happens.

2) OP has no clue if a late arriving craft caused a delay. Regardless, it hardly matters what the explanation is.

3) Yes, gate announcements tend to suck on most airlines.

4) Just because a parent is with a minor does not give them special rights to ask for whatever they desire.
nancypants and fairhsa like this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 2:09 am

Programs: FB Gold
But if you book a budget airline when a ticket on a full service airline is available for the same price then you definitely deserve what you get!
Old Jan 23, 2019, 3:38 am

Originally Posted by AJCNL
But if you book a budget airline when a ticket on a full service airline is available for the same price then you definitely deserve what you get!
Indeed - Surely one only books budget airlines if there is a good reason to do so (be it cheaper fare, better schedule, fewer transfers, more convenient airports for one's situation).
Old Feb 23, 2019, 11:15 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
Pay a few dollars more and get advanced seat assignments. Pay a few more than that and get Hot Seats in advance.

AirAsia offered you the ability to choose seats. You declined. A lack of preparation on your part does not constitute an emergency on theirs....

FWIW, this was our experience on a recent AirAsia flight: https://readyjetroam.com/2019/02/24/...-kuala-lumpur/

tl;dr: All in all, with the understanding that you are on a low-cost carrier and so there WILL be queuing, the AirAsia flight experience is a good one…especially with a hot seat, pre-ordered meal and lightly packed small bag.
trooper and nancypants like this.

Last edited by kokonutz; Feb 24, 2019 at 4:30 am
Old Feb 26, 2019, 9:50 am

A second review of AirAsia, this time KUL-CNX: https://readyjetroam.com/2019/02/26/...to-chiang-mai/
Old Feb 27, 2019, 6:04 pm

Programs: Enrich
Originally Posted by kokonutz
A second review of AirAsia, this time KUL-CNX: https://readyjetroam.com/2019/02/26/...to-chiang-mai/
One comment:

KLIA express train is definitely faster and more comfort than car. From KL sentral to KLIA2 it takes about 35 minutes, and the interval of departure is between 10 to 20minutes. Just it is cheap for single traveller, since single trip cost around MYR 49 (if you buy from kiosk). For 2 or 3 travellers, grab car is cheaper.

Taxi is expensive like hell

For regular train, I would say KTM ETS train is good to take if you want to travel to different city or states. But the ticket is extremely hard to get as it is very popular, since senior citizen can get a very good discount, I believe up to 50%. However, for the regular public transport within Selangor, KL, it tends to be very time consuming, expensive and slow. Mainly due to the fact that majority of Malaysian own a car.
fairhsa likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by dici
One comment:

KLIA express train is definitely faster and more comfort than car. From KL sentral to KLIA2 it takes about 35 minutes, and the interval of departure is between 10 to 20minutes. Just it is cheap for single traveller, since single trip cost around MYR 49 (if you buy from kiosk). For 2 or 3 travellers, grab car is cheaper.

Taxi is expensive like hell

For regular train, I would say KTM ETS train is good to take if you want to travel to different city or states. But the ticket is extremely hard to get as it is very popular, since senior citizen can get a very good discount, I believe up to 50%. However, for the regular public transport within Selangor, KL, it tends to be very time consuming, expensive and slow. Mainly due to the fact that majority of Malaysian own a car.
I'm sure KLIA is great. The problem was that it took us nearly an hour to get to Sentral from Bukit Bintang on the metro system the day before so we weren't going to risk that on our way to the airport...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.