Community
Wiki Posts
Search

XiamenAir transfer options in Xiamen Aiport

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2019, 7:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by endet
If it refers to the hotel I don't know what the issue is. He gets a free room, a shower, can sleep for a bit and then roam the city on his own will.
Okay. I'm with you.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by siw
My April trip which has the 10hr 30min transit in Xiamen (MF382 HKG12:20 - 13:40XMN and MF811 XMN00:10+1 - 06:10AMS) misses breakfast time. I'll have to find somewhere (maybe the MF hotel itself) for an early dinner before a ~9:30pm taxi back to the XMN T3.

I'll do my best to remember (noted on my smartphone) and ask your question at the hotel reception. Shame these cannot be pre-arranged before the flights (I could with my long KE in ICN and CI in TPE stopovers).
Thanks. And don't be at the airport too early. You need to check-in again to get your boarding pass but its really empty. The lounge is small and not really much offering there.
Pro-tip: don't buy duty free. Its is expensive as f***. Best buy in AMS or HKG and then put in your suitcase in XMN.
For everyone reading: you cannot take liquids on your transfer as you are technically not transferring. I tried it and they wanted to take off my booze i brought in from AMS on a straight "transfer". One person guarded me check-in where I had it packed for 90 RMB into a parcel which was then checked in as hold luggage.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 6:59 am
siw
Original Poster

Programs: AF-KL Platinum, ALL Platinum
I just want to check. My ticket (single ticket booking reference number bought on MF website) is LHR-AMS-XMN-HKG and HKG-XMN-AMS-LHR. The LHR-AMS and AMS-LHR are on KLM aircraft with MF codeshare flight numbers. I presume that at LHR check-in my luggage will be tagged to go all the way to HKG and I will not have to collect it in XMN and then check-in again. And vice versa for the flights home. Thanks
Old Jan 18, 2019, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by siw
I just want to check. My ticket (single ticket booking reference number bought on MF website) is LHR-AMS-XMN-HKG and HKG-XMN-AMS-LHR. The LHR-AMS and AMS-LHR are on KLM aircraft with MF codeshare flight numbers. I presume that at LHR check-in my luggage will be tagged to go all the way to HKG and I will not have to collect it in XMN and then check-in again. And vice versa for the flights home. Thanks
Your outbound to KHG will be fine for sure.

I flew MNL-XMN-AMS-DUB in C. At check-in in Manila they wanted to tag my bag only to AMS and give me boarding pass until XMN. It was a third party provider. I asked for the station manager which appeared. He called XMN office but tried to tell me the same, that I had to get landside in AMS and get my luggage. I asked him why on the outbound it was possible to tag it all the wayto MNL: because KLM can and we can't. Tell me something about Chinese mainland mentality.
Long story short, I requested to have luggage and boarding pass to XMN only. Its a small enough airport so no real queue and technically you are never on a real transfer but always have to pass through immigration and go landside. So if all fails asked for your luggage be checked to XMN only, collect and re-checkin. Most likely you have to do that for your XMN-AMS and AMS-LHR boarding passes anyway.
siw likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 1:23 am
siw
Original Poster

endet - very useful information there. Thanks a lot.

I will request for my luggage to go to XMN for me to collec on the HKG-XMN-AMS-LHR. Since I am going to take the MF hotel on the XMN layover this should work out OK.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:38 pm
siw
Original Poster

Does anyone know what the maximum size cabin baggage MF allows for international business class?

My case is a Samsonite X'Blade 3.0 (https://www.samsonite.co.uk/x-blade-...5098-1412.html). I always check this into the hold but the last time I flew with KLM and MF on a multi-connection ticket KLM lost it in AMS and two days later it arrived at my home in England. For my upcoming LHR-AMS-XMN-HKG rtn I would prefer to keep it with me as cabin baggage (expecting it to miss a connection/get lost) but not sure if it is too big. I also have a small backpack as my usual cabin bag.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by siw
Does anyone know what the maximum size cabin baggage MF allows for international business class?

My case is a Samsonite X'Blade 3.0 (https://www.samsonite.co.uk/x-blade-...5098-1412.html). I always check this into the hold but the last time I flew with KLM and MF on a multi-connection ticket KLM lost it in AMS and two days later it arrived at my home in England. For my upcoming LHR-AMS-XMN-HKG rtn I would prefer to keep it with me as cabin baggage (expecting it to miss a connection/get lost) but not sure if it is too big. I also have a small backpack as my usual cabin bag.
That's pretty muchthe same size as my no name one which has successfully travelled in the overhead bins of 787 and 737 MF planes.
Was never approached or looked upon.
siw likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:12 am
siw
Original Poster

endet,

Oon your multi-connectin MF (+ KL codeshares) has the airlines (MF & KL) ever lost your hold baggage? My cabin bag is a few centimetres over MF's limits so I must check it in. But wit 2 connections (AMS and XMN) I'm not entirely confident that I'll see my cabin bag on the baggage claim in HKG and LHR. I will follow you advice and get my cabing bag tagged only from HKG-XMN and then re-check in at XMN for XMN-AMS-LHR. Last time I flew with KL and MF (on a KL ticket) my checked-in cabin bag was not loaded on mt AMS-WAW flight and then was not put on a next day AMS-LHR flight (it was left somewhere in the depths of AMS) until 2 days later.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by siw
endet,

Oon your multi-connectin MF (+ KL codeshares) has the airlines (MF & KL) ever lost your hold baggage? My cabin bag is a few centimetres over MF's limits so I must check it in. But wit 2 connections (AMS and XMN) I'm not entirely confident that I'll see my cabin bag on the baggage claim in HKG and LHR. I will follow you advice and get my cabing bag tagged only from HKG-XMN and then re-check in at XMN for XMN-AMS-LHR. Last time I flew with KL and MF (on a KL ticket) my checked-in cabin bag was not loaded on mt AMS-WAW flight and then was not put on a next day AMS-LHR flight (it was left somewhere in the depths of AMS) until 2 days later.
Hi, They never did lose anything but then I carefully paid attention to where they tag it to.
In AMS they tagged it automatically all the way to MNL thanks to KLM doing check-in. I had to check-in something additionally in XMN for the flight to MNL (a small box) it arrived no problem.

In MNL they wanted to tag my stuff to AMS only and boarding pass to XMN only. I requested to talk to supervisor. The person presented herself but I dismissed her as being 3rd party handler. Requested to talk with MF station manager. He appeared and even checked with MF head office. at least thats what he said so I give him benefit of the doubt. But no reversal of the rule. They wanted me to go land-side in AMS and get my luggage.
I finally settled for luggage being tagged MNL to XMN only. Re-checked everything in XMN all the way to DUB with no discussion. Everything arrived with no issue.

If you fly in C I would not bother to check it in unless you guarantee it would not fit into the overhead bin or it can be bought through security control. If Y passengers can bring about 20kg of stuff in all sizes and forms as it seems possible, I am sure I can bring a little oversized bag in C.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 1:39 am

Programs: BAEC
I have a Chinese friend who experienced similar with MU with an journey TAO - PVG - CDG - LHR (yeh, I know, but it was a cheap ticket)...

At TAO they point blank refused to tag beyond CDG despite the fact that the traveller didn't have a Schengen visa and would not have been able to go landside to collect luggage but did have a UK visa. No amount of remonstrating in Chinese with MU staff including the station manager could change their mind.

At PVG they again had another pop at MU and after a good hour of messing around whilst in transit finally got the bag retagged through to LHR.

So the baggage handling by MU in this example about seems to mirror what MF were offering this this case.

It was all a bit of a farce in the end as the MU flight was delayed into CDG, and due to poor handling by AF staff the last connection to LHR was missed, an emergency Schengen visa was denied for overnight accommodation and a night was spent in the terminal at CDG.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:30 am
siw
Original Poster

The XiamenAir Amsterdam office sent me the below baggage size limits. Unfortunately, my cabin bag is 55 x 40 x 20 cm, which is just goes over MF limits. Even though I am flying on a MF discount business ticket (KL economy and MF business classes) I will have to check-in my baggage in LHR and hope it arrives in HKG and vice versa from HKG to LHR via XMN and AMS. I will ask in HKG if my cabing bag can only be checked-in to XMN because I have the 10h 30min layover. Then I can check-in again for XMN-AMS-LHR.

Old Feb 16, 2019, 9:23 am

The below is my video on the arrival procedure in Xiamen from plane to Taxi including the transfer desk.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 9:51 am
siw
Original Poster

endet, thanks for the useful video. I thought the transfer desk was airside, not landside, from the map I had my MF e-mail so this is good to know.

The person walking in front of you looks to have a cabin bag bigger than the size limit (see above) so I hope my Samsonite X-blade 55cm will be allowed as carry-on on my MF discount business ticket (with a KLM MF flight number codeshares).
Old Feb 16, 2019, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by siw
endet, thanks for the useful video. I thought the transfer desk was airside, not landside, from the map I had my MF e-mail so this is good to know.

The person walking in front of you looks to have a cabin bag bigger than the size limit (see above) so I hope my Samsonite X-blade 55cm will be allowed as carry-on on my MF discount business ticket (with a KLM MF flight number codeshares).
There wont be any issues, those passengers were with me in a 737.
My carry on is also slightly bigger and I had no issues
Old Feb 22, 2019, 1:47 am
siw
Original Poster

endet,

On the outbound AMS-XMN-HKG which lands at 05:30 in XMN what lounge do MF J passengers have access to and does it have showers? The SkyTeam app lists 5 lounges in XMN, all with showers but it may be inaccurate, and I cannot recall which lounge I accessed when I last flew KL884 XMN-AMS, all I recall is it was at the far right-hand end of the gate area (Gate 17) and was very sparse and unappealling?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.