Hong Kong Airlines - feedback?

Old Mar 5, 2019, 4:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by moondog
One of the SCMP articles linked upthread (the AKL one I think) suggests that some of their 330s are at risk, and that long haul flights are where CX is really whipping them.
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...-fleet-456297/

The South China Morning Post had reported that the cash-strapped airline is studying plans to transfer some of its aircraft to main shareholders HNA Group, return them to lessors, or to scrap them. The restructuring could see it cut its fleet from 38 to 28, largely through the removal of Airbus A330-200s.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Got the following notice today. A bit disconcerting...

Talked to HX. There will be no flight on 22MAY. No explanation available. And since I bought the ticket on Expedia only Expedia can change it. Sigh.

She did give me a place to find a photo of the newer A35A business class configuration, though:
I just went to Hong Kong Airlines website and tried booking a couple of dates, including May 22 from Hong Kong to LAX and it was available to book. I haven’t received any notification from either Hong Kong airlines or Priceline concerning my trip March 11, returning March 27.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jun 14, 2019 at 4:09 pm Reason: Remove images in quote
Old Mar 5, 2019, 10:51 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in PALMYRA, PA, USA
Originally Posted by Dean1953

I just went to Hong Kong Airlines website and tried booking a couple of dates, including May 22 from Hong Kong to LAX and it was available to book. I haven’t received any notification from either Hong Kong airlines or Priceline concerning my trip March 11, returning March 27.
The nonstop (HX068) is not available on 22MAY on either Google Flights nor the HX website. You can fly the HKG-XXX-LAX route but with a connection on WestJet or Alaska:

HX068 is back on 23MAY:

22MAY is also the end of HX service to ALK....coincidence!?

Hong Kong Airlines will suspend its scheduled service between Hong Kong and Auckland from 22 May 2019 following a review of its network and an adjustment of its business strategy.

The last Hong Kong Airlines flight from Hong Kong to Auckland will be HX027 on 19 May 2019, while the last flight from Auckland to Hong Kong will be HX028 on 21 May 2019.

Last edited by kokonutz; Mar 5, 2019 at 11:46 pm
Old Mar 6, 2019, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
you might look at this:

personally I had excellent HX flights in J or Y to PEK or H to DPS
kokonutz likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by brunos
you might look at this:
Thanks for sharing the video; I quite liked his comparison, and agreed with most of it

My thoughts:
1. Service and product wise, I believe HX is on par with CX
2. But, corporate accounts demand reliable operations above all else
3. I don't know of many companies that select HX in favor of CX
4. Reducing their fleet from 38 to 28 does not help their cause wrt reliability
kokonutz likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:40 am

Programs: UA Prem Exec
Beware HK Airlines

I bought one of the error fares in Business Class LAX-HKG-Shanghai. Just tried to fly it today, they denied me boarding claiming I needed a visa to go to Shanghai, even though I was staying in the airport for another connection to outside of China in less than 24 hours. This goes against everything I have read including on the PRC embassy website. Then they said we will charge you a $250 cancellation fee, a $200 no show??? fee and keep the taxes so you get nothing back. I had to cancel my other flights and hotel reservations and am out well over $1000 due to this.

Any ideas what to do? My wife thinks they are looking for any BS excuse to go after error fare pax, but I personally think they just are incompetent. Talking to them was like talking to a brick wall. I actually had to argue with them that I am not really a no show since I was desperately trying to get on the plane. Help! Expedia refuses to do anything
Old Mar 7, 2019, 4:15 am

Originally Posted by exymer
I bought one of the error fares in Business Class LAX-HKG-Shanghai. Just tried to fly it today, they denied me boarding claiming I needed a visa to go to Shanghai, even though I was staying in the airport for another connection to outside of China in less than 24 hours. This goes against everything I have read including on the PRC embassy website. Then they said we will charge you a $250 cancellation fee, a $200 no show??? fee and keep the taxes so you get nothing back. I had to cancel my other flights and hotel reservations and am out well over $1000 due to this.

Any ideas what to do? My wife thinks they are looking for any BS excuse to go after error fare pax, but I personally think they just are incompetent. Talking to them was like talking to a brick wall. I actually had to argue with them that I am not really a no show since I was desperately trying to get on the plane. Help! Expedia refuses to do anything
What was your transit city/country?
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: UA Prem Exec
What was your transit city/country?
It was LAX-HKG-PVG-HKG with a 18 hour layover in PVG.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by exymer
It was LAX-HKG-PVG-HKG with a 18 hour layover in PVG.
HKG-PVG-HKG does not qualify for TWOV so they were correct in denying you boarding.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 11:54 pm
Fyd

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat
HKG-PVG-HKG does not qualify for TWOV so they were correct in denying you boarding.
I understand that HKG-PVG-HKG wouldn't qualify for TWOV. But why would it be TWOV if he's not leaving the airport? Unless it's separate tickets, this would just be a transfer without entering the country...
Old Mar 8, 2019, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by Fyd
I understand that HKG-PVG-HKG wouldn't qualify for TWOV. But why would it be TWOV if he's not leaving the airport? Unless it's separate tickets, this would just be a transfer without entering the country...
Whether or not he leaves the airport, he still needs to be in transit to a third country. We have an enormous thread dedicated to this topic, and the rules are really clear.
brunos likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 1:28 am

Programs: UA1k; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Gold; IHG Gold; AA Plat Pro
Don't you have to go through immigration anyway even if you are transiting international to international in PVG?
Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by 1k650
Don't you have to go through immigration anyway even if you are transiting international to international in PVG?
If you're in the same terminal, they've recently made the process a little more seamless, (similar to NRT), but you definitely can't fly back to the same country you came from without a visa.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 12:45 pm

Anyone having issues managing their bookings on the HX website? It gives me errors when trying to load my bookings.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 11:56 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in PALMYRA, PA, USA
Originally Posted by olouie
Anyone having issues managing their bookings on the HX website? It gives me errors when trying to load my bookings.
LOL...ummm...yes!

From the very beginning HX's website has errored out our ticket number and names (Expedia brokered ticket).

When I went to select seats for the outbound I could not manage our tickets and had to call.

When HX canceled the HKG-LAX flight we had booked on 22 MAY I could not manage our tickets on the HX website and called HX who said I had to call Expedia who then had to call HX. We moved our flights to fix the broken connection but now I need to call again to pick seats (unfortu the date we selected has the CX-type config rather than the cuddle seats config).

Calling HX is a bit of a pain and expect to wait.

Good luck!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.