Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hong Kong Airlines - feedback?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Global Entry
Hong Kong Airlines - feedback?

Hi

Im flying HKG-NRT RT in April. Hong Kong Airlines had the cheapest rate so booked with them.....even though Ive never personally heard of them,

Anyone have any positive or negative feedback on them? Or anything I need to know.

Thanks in advance
Old Jan 2, 2019, 6:12 pm

Programs: asia miles
not sure about flying business but in Y they are neither better nor worse than most airlines. fly them something to PEK and PVG. No much difference compare to CX. Only negative point in my opinion. Is how they handle IROP.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by blandy62
not sure about flying business but in Y they are neither better nor worse than most airlines. fly them something to PEK and PVG. No much difference compare to CX. Only negative point in my opinion. Is how they handle IROP.
The financial stability of the entire group is pretty troubling to me.
Dean1953 and elg26 like this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:55 pm

Programs: asia miles
Originally Posted by moondog
The financial stability of the entire group is pretty troubling to me.
yes you are right. they seem to be in troubled water
moondog and elg26 like this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 2:26 am

Programs: MP, BR
You basically get what you paid for. I flew J on that route a few weeks ago on one of their old A330 planes - seat almost lie flat but no direct access to the aisle (2-2-2 layout). If you are lucky you could fly on one of their planes with the new J seats (1-2-1 layout with lie flat). Service was inconsistent (e.g. bottles of water were placed on each seat for HKG-NRT but not for NRT-HKG, likely due to the short turnaround of the plane and eventually no water was distributed at all during the flight except upon request). Crew was cheerful and enthusiastic, but "inexperienced" (e.g. they took meal orders after the plane left the gate and taxiing to the runway, but had to rush back to their jumpseats because taxiing didn't take long. I thought they could've waited until in flight).

It was a good deal at the price I got though (I paid less than 50% of what CX was charging for J) so I was satisfied. The company's financial troubles and ability to stay afloat is the bigger issue here.
elg26 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:07 pm

I’m scheduled to fly them LAX to BKK March 11 in mistake fare business class purchase. I wanted to push the flight to as late in the price range ($600.00) of the tickets offered because I had just been to Thailand the previous April. Now, I’m getting nervous reading about Hong Kong Airlines over the last two days. I don’t have to go for any compelling reason, and I can Cecelia and get back all but $250 of the cost of the ticket. I have no idea if I can make a claim through my credit card company if they cease operations. I’ve got about 10 days to decide if I’ll cancel before Hong Kong Airlines has to make a sizable payment to creditors and I’m leaning toward cancelling.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Dean1953
I’m scheduled to fly them LAX to BKK March 11 in mistake fare business class purchase. I wanted to push the flight to as late in the price range ($600.00) of the tickets offered because I had just been to Thailand the previous April. Now, I’m getting nervous reading about Hong Kong Airlines over the last two days. I don’t have to go for any compelling reason, and I can Cecelia and get back all but $250 of the cost of the ticket. I have no idea if I can make a claim through my credit card company if they cease operations. I’ve got about 10 days to decide if I’ll cancel before Hong Kong Airlines has to make a sizable payment to creditors and I’m leaning toward cancelling.
oh I just started reading the news on this? I have a refundable ticket using points and case thru Chase/Expedia - wondering if I should contact them to cancel? See if can waive the cancellation fee? And then ticket elsewhere?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:35 pm

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Just completed a YVR-HKG-HAN, BKK-HKG-YVR trip on Hong Kong Airlines in Y yesterday. Overall, the flights were fine and I found their service comparable to other airlines such as Eva and Asiana.

The planes are clean and well-maintained, and the cabin staff was always attentive and efficient in responding to requests. The meals were decent and the in-flight entertainment is good enough to keep you occupied for a while. The flights were all on time or early and I don’t really have any complaints about the in-air service.

The main issues experienced were all before we took off or after we landed. Specifically, one of our checked bags was lost and their HKG staff had no clue where it was. It took 3 days and ongoing escalation from my end for them to figure out where it was (delayed baggage comp offer for two passengers impacted by this : USD 65 total)

Somehow they also kept trying to assign us seats in the rear of the plane or split us across middle seats, even though I had confirmed seats with customer service. There was no equipment change and no other reasoning offered aside from “I think maybe you misunderstood”, but they finally managed to resolve the issue in each case after I showed them printout of seat assignments etc.

I can’t comment on the risks due to the financials etc., but in terms of the flight itself, I wouldn’t hesitate to fly Hong Kong airlines again if a good deal is available (but will definitely pack a change of clothing to deal with delayed luggage etc.)
Old Jan 7, 2019, 10:00 pm

It sounds like Hong Kong Airlines has decent customer service to handle unexpected problems. This is, as opposed to China Eastern Airlines, who lost my bag on the way to Chiangmai, never contacted me, never responded to my calls or emails but finally responded 11 days into my vacation because I got Thai Airlines involved and they tracked down my suitcase, which I had to make 2 trips to the airport in Chiangmai to collect. They still refuse my written requests for compensation.
After talking with my credit card company and Priceline today, I decided to keep my reservation on Hong Kong Airlines. If it turns out badly for me, I do have avenues for compensation with both companies mentioned. The worst case scenario is that I’m stuck at my house in Chiangmai for an extra month, waiting for a decent one way fare to LAX. Maybe, I should get a 60 day visa to Thailand, just in case.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 7:36 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Dean1953

After talking with my credit card company and Priceline today, I decided to keep my reservation on Hong Kong Airlines. If it turns out badly for me, I do have avenues for compensation with both companies mentioned.
I’ve also got a Priceline reservation - I’m curious what avenue for compensation exists with Priceline? I was assuming i could do a chargeback/dispute with my credit card (although uncertain how far I would get given that I booked in August) but wasn’t aware of any recourse via Priceline should the airline go under.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 10:34 pm

They're not going under. The moment China Development Bank stepped in it became clear the mainland will not let this airline fail. If anything, I'd expect some more management changes along with the resumption of A350 deliveries in a few weeks.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 8:41 pm

My conversation with a Priceline agent suggested that they would do something for compensation if Hong Kong airlines ceased operations while I was in Thailand, before my return flight. He was purposely vague on what that compensation would be but I’m assuming that it wouldn’t be cash. Your best bet is file a dispute with your credit card company.

Most of my stay tab will be at my house in Chiangmai but I will need a hotel room in Bangkok for 1-2 nights. The recent news about the bonds being backed gives me enough confidence to reserve the rooms, paying in advance (non refundable). I’ll wait on that until one week before my trip.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 8:51 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Not sure why Priceline would know what is due when an airline goes under. If you're worried, just get travel insurance.

To legameflyer's point, though, the airline is not in great shape, but nor is it imminently going under. Hong Kong Airlines is part of the huge conglomerate HNA Group, which also owns Hainan Air.

Product issues aside on their older aircraft, I wouldn't hesitate to book a good deal.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 9:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by TBD
Not sure why Priceline would know what is due when an airline goes under. If you're worried, just get travel insurance.
I think most travel insurance policies won't cover travel that's booked before you buy the insurance (usually it's got to be purchased within ~2 weeks of buying the policy).

Any suggestions for companies/policies that don't have this restriction?
Old Jan 13, 2019, 11:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TBD

To legameflyer's point, though, the airline is not in great shape, but nor is it imminently going under. Hong Kong Airlines is part of the huge conglomerate HNA Group, which also owns Hainan Air.

Product issues aside on their older aircraft, I wouldn't hesitate to book a good deal.
This is actually the root of the problem. HNA went on a 3-year spending spree, and the underlying assets are not producing anywhere near enough income for them to stay current on their debt obligations. As such, they are trying to sell off companies in a frenzy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.