Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hong Kong Airlines - feedback?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2019, 6:16 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Does this all have an effect on Hainan Airlines?
Old Dec 3, 2019, 6:31 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by xiaowudao
Did you book that flight directly with the airline or through a travel website? and have you contacted them to see if they can rebook you to another flight? I'm in a similar boat with a flight from vancouver to bangkok Dec 22 - Jan 7. All my flights have been cancelled. I booked with flighthub and they have contacted hong kong airlines to try and rebook me onto a partner flight but so far I haven't heard anything back. I'm not very optimistic anyone will get rebooked, but if you do please update us here!
HX has 9.2.2.2 obligations https://www.hongkongairlines.com/pdf...rriage-ENG.pdf similar to CX's 10.2.2.2...but I wonder what HX will offer. HU?
Old Dec 3, 2019, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by xiaowudao
Did you book that flight directly with the airline or through a travel website? and have you contacted them to see if they can rebook you to another flight? I'm in a similar boat with a flight from vancouver to bangkok Dec 22 - Jan 7. All my flights have been cancelled. I booked with flighthub and they have contacted hong kong airlines to try and rebook me onto a partner flight but so far I haven't heard anything back. I'm not very optimistic anyone will get rebooked, but if you do please update us here!
I booked through AMEX travel using membership rewards points. I spoke with AMEX travel over the weekend and all they could do was the standard cancellation policy of $300 and refund. Going to wait for Saturday and see where things go. I see the HKG-LAX flight operated today, so maybe there is hope and the HNA loan money will go to HX.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Even if HX gets HNA money to pay staff and suppliers, its future is in great doubt.
Many people are unaware of HX troubles. But anyone aware would be foolish to purchase a new ticket for future travel. HX will quickly run out of cash with dwindling new ticket sales. The only hope is to find an acquirer, but that is near impossible given the current situation in Hong Kong. HX (which I like a lot) only attraction is its airport slots
Old Dec 4, 2019, 3:14 am

We're all collectively playing the game of how long is a RMB4b piece of string.
brunos, narvik and nancypants like this.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 12:16 pm

All I can hope for is that they stay in business thru February. I have two flights booked via UR points and these flights are the only flights arriving at a time that I need. Otherwise Im going to lose a night of hotel expense plus have to pay for another night somewhere else and then have to reroute at about 5x the cost of the ticket I bought with HK Air. aghhhhhhhhhhhhh
Old Dec 5, 2019, 7:38 pm

If HX survives it'll be most likely reduced to regional airline https://www.hk01.com/社會新聞/406252/香港航...20844;司
narvik likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 8:45 pm

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by brunos
Even if HX gets HNA money to pay staff and suppliers, its future is in great doubt.
Many people are unaware of HX troubles. But anyone aware would be foolish to purchase a new ticket for future travel. HX will quickly run out of cash with dwindling new ticket sales. The only hope is to find an acquirer, but that is near impossible given the current situation in Hong Kong. HX (which I like a lot) only attraction is its airport slots
With CX also cutting flights, slots aren't probably in short supply right now. And with the third runway opening up in 2-3 years, that should further increase capacity.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by percysmith
If HX survives it'll be most likely reduced to regional airline https://www.hk01.com/社會新聞/406252/香港航...20844;司
Interesting.

Also: "It also announced that it would stop providing in-flight entertainment system services in December."

I guess that's another bill they didn't pay.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by triplefives
With CX also cutting flights, slots aren't probably in short supply right now. And with the third runway opening up in 2-3 years, that should further increase capacity.
Didn't AAHK say all airlines can keep their slots even if they don't satisfy the frequency requirement this winter?

Or is this for foreign airlines only?
Old Dec 5, 2019, 11:10 pm

Didn't AAHK say all airlines can keep their slots even if they don't satisfy the frequency requirement this winter?

Or is this for foreign airlines only?
Yep, they've waived the requirement through March 2020 for the winter season as a temporary measure. But it's hard to see the HX's slots being valuable if capacity is being cut by other carriers. If China's economic situation drastically improves, then perhaps the slots could be coveted but the capacity constraints should be lifted after the completion of the third runway in 2022. Hard to see CX making a bid for HX assets at this point.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by narvik
Interesting.

Also: "It also announced that it would stop providing in-flight entertainment system services in December."

I guess that's another bill they didn't pay.
In a sign that the struggle has been ongoing, the "New Releases" on my most recent HX flight last week were anything but new.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 7:13 pm

ATLA confirms no action against HX "for the time being"

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...e-package-save
Old Dec 9, 2019, 6:01 am
Accor Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: CX MPC GO, IHG, OZ, NH (no longer UA MP*G thanks to SMJ)(no longer A3 *G due to COVID))
I hope HX will stay afloat....not that I like HX, but competition is needed in HKG
percysmith and Visconti like this.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 4:08 am

We're all collectively playing the game of how long is a RMB4b piece of string.
RMB4b = HKD4.4b
- 0.27b = ?

香港01: 香港航空被愛爾蘭公司入稟追約2.7億港元.
https://www.hk01.com/%E7%A4%BE%E6%9C...B8%AF%E5%85%83

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.