Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hong Kong Airlines - feedback?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2019, 3:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

@kokonutz: I love your blog, but I want to advise you that I encountered a technical error when I tried to message you there; the comment field disappeared.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 4:03 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by moondog
@kokonutz: I love your blog, but I want to advise you that I encountered a technical error when I tried to message you there; the comment field disappeared.
huh, thanks for the heads up! I’ll take a look.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:58 pm

With a little more than a week before my LAX to BKK flight on Hong Kong airlines, I’m not worried anymore about their financial problems but still do check daily. I saw an article today that claimed that Cathay Pacific was interested in buying a minority stake in Hong Kong airlines. It’s no concern of mine but I was wondering what government enitiy would be responsible for approving this purchase. Why would it be in the consumer’s best interests to allow the two main Hong Kong players in international flying out of Hong Kong International Airport to join forces, unless Hong Kong airlines couldn’t survive without the purchase?
Old Feb 27, 2019, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by Dean1953
With a little more than a week before my LAX to BKK flight on Hong Kong airlines, I’m not worried anymore about their financial problems but still do check daily. I saw an article today that claimed that Cathay Pacific was interested in buying a minority stake in Hong Kong airlines. It’s no concern of mine but I was wondering what government enitiy would be responsible for approving this purchase. Why would it be in the consumer’s best interests to allow the two main Hong Kong players in international flying out of Hong Kong International Airport to join forces, unless Hong Kong airlines couldn’t survive without the purchase?
From what I understand, a direct CX investment would violate HK competition laws, and CA is in a similar predicament because it owns 30% of CX.

That having been said, I want to offer 3 semi encouraging points:
1. I highly doubt HX will disappear overnight
2. In the event they die between your outbound and return, you will still get to experience their business class product one way for a small fraction of market value
3. HU might be willing to take over your inbound ticket

In closing, don't sweat these matters for a single minute because you have zero control over them, and the worst outcome is honestly not very bad.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 7:39 am

You are right. I shouldn’t scan daily the South China Post, like today’s news on Hong Kong Airlines. I’m not worried about Hong Kong Airlines plans on downsizing because the LAX to Hong Kong route is probably the most profitable route of their trans Pacific routes. It’s the outside problems with creditors and government agencies. But, thinking about my situation, being stuck at my house in Chiangmai for a month or two because I don’t want to buy a last second return ticket isn’t that bad of an option.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 3:46 pm

The recent stories about HKG Airlines indicate management is finally serious about trimming the fat in anticipation of a major investor coming on board. They are not closing down. The LAX route might indeed be doing well lately (from a pax volume perspective), but I'm not sure how profitable it is - the fares are extremely low.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 2:01 pm

Unless MU can unload several trans Pacific airplanes, they are stuck running them. And I’d think that LAX to Hong Kong would be the last route that they would cut.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 4:47 pm

On a slightly different subject, I’m flying Southwest Airlines from Kansas City to LAX to catch my MU flight. I don’t buy the early check in on SWA but do try to check in at exactly 24 hours in advance to get in at least group B. My SWA flight from LAX to MCI leaves LAX at 1:25 PM. I think that I figured it out correctly that it would be 5:20 AM in Hong Kong. My flight on MU leaves BBK at 4 AM. Is there WiFi on that flight segment on MU? If not, I arrive at Hong Kong at 8 AM and will use the WiFi either at the airport or lounge. I know Chinese internet is restricted. What are the chances of not being able to connect to Southwest ‘s website while in Chinese airspace?
Old Mar 3, 2019, 5:59 pm

On a slightly different subject, I’m flying Southwest Airlines from Kansas City to LAX to catch my MU flight. I don’t buy the early check in on SWA but do try to check in at exactly 24 hours in advance to get in at least group B. My SWA flight from LAX to MCI leaves LAX at 1:25 PM. I think that I figured it out correctly that it would be 5:20 AM in Hong Kong. My flight on MU leaves BBK at 4 AM. Is there WiFi on that flight segment on MU? If not, I arrive at Hong Kong at 8 AM and will use the WiFi either at the airport or lounge. I know Chinese internet is restricted. What are the chances of not being able to connect to Southwest ‘s website while in Chinese airspace?
I think you might be confusing airline codes...unless, I am mistaken. MU flies LAX-PVG only.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 7:48 pm

I am confusing air codes, if MU is China Eastern. I’m flying Hong Kong Airlines from LAX to Hong Kong to BKK and return. I was wondering if Southwest Airlines website is blocked in China Airspace (two years ago, I needed to be on Target.com while at Shanghai Airport and it was blocked). If SWA isn’t blocked, would the leg from BKK to Hong Kong have WiFi service? Thanks.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 10:44 am

Programs: AS 100K, DL PL, B6 M3
I am confusing air codes, if MU is China Eastern. I’m flying Hong Kong Airlines from LAX to Hong Kong to BKK and return. I was wondering if Southwest Airlines website is blocked in China Airspace (two years ago, I needed to be on Target.com while at Shanghai Airport and it was blocked). If SWA isn’t blocked, would the leg from BKK to Hong Kong have WiFi service? Thanks.
I plan to try and check in to a WN flight next week from the Hong Kong lounge. Didn't notice any big issues with the Wifi in Hong Kong airport although I also have an American SIM. The A359 to LAX has WiFi but it's pay per MB and quite expensive.

Edit: It might be my American SIM. Looks like WN itself has a history of blocking foreign IP addresses. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1958537-accessing-southwest-website-europe.html

Last edited by firemandan9; Mar 4, 2019 at 11:57 am
Old Mar 4, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Isn't HX currently being taken to court for non-payment of plane leases? It is not clear what the lessor is seeking if HX is not able to come up with the cash, but a clear possibility is taking the planes back. In this case the routes that go are going to be the routes that these particular planes are flying. Anyone know which planes have unpaid leases?
Old Mar 4, 2019, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by uanj
Isn't HX currently being taken to court for non-payment of plane leases? It is not clear what the lessor is seeking if HX is not able to come up with the cash, but a clear possibility is taking the planes back. In this case the routes that go are going to be the routes that these particular planes are flying. Anyone know which planes have unpaid leases?
One of the SCMP articles linked upthread (the AKL one I think) suggests that some of their 330s are at risk, and that long haul flights are where CX is really whipping them.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 9:43 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Got the following notice today. A bit disconcerting...

Hong Kong Airlines has made the following change(s) to your itinerary:

* Changed the departure date for 1 of your flights.
* Changed the arrival date for 1 of your flights. Hong Kong to Los AngelesFlight Change DetailsThursday, May 23, 2019 at 12:00 PM May 22, 2019 at 12:00 PM (change)Change in FlightHong Kong AirlinesFlight Number: HX0068From: Hong Kong (HKG-Hong Kong Intl.)Depart: 12:00 PMTo: Los Angeles, CA (LAX-Los Angeles Intl.)Arrive: 10:05 AMStatus: CONFIRMEDClass: BusinessEquipment: 359/AIR
Talked to HX. There will be no flight on 22MAY. No explanation available. And since I bought the ticket on Expedia only Expedia can change it. Sigh.

She did give me a place to find a photo of the newer A35A business class configuration, though:

A359 seats:

Last edited by kokonutz; Mar 4, 2019 at 11:30 pm
Old Mar 5, 2019, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA MM, AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, FPC lifetime Plat, Kohls MVP
At the Hong Kong airport I had to download a free VPN. Then I could check in my wife for her SWA flight. My sis and me are A-list so we didnt need to do manual check-in. I did this while I was in the Hong Kong Airlines Lounge.
kokonutz and Dean1953 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.