FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-asian-australian-south-pacific-airlines-470/)
-   -   Will PAL Ever Join an Alliance? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-asian-australian-south-pacific-airlines/1947501-will-pal-ever-join-alliance.html)

AsiaTravel2019 Dec 25, 2018 5:54 pm

Will PAL Ever Join an Alliance?

I've read the stories that they want to and their service has improved.

Most Asian carriers have service to Manila, but only PAL has nonstop from the states, JFK and LAX. I would love to be able to use my Mabuhay Pesos more widely.

SLGO Dec 30, 2018 3:24 am

PR definitely needs to join one. But doesn’t seem like the big three have vacancy for another airline in the South East Asian.

blandy62 Dec 30, 2018 7:48 pm

PR needs to join an alliance, but on the alliances point of view, they don't really bring anything that is already within the alliances.

clubeurope Dec 31, 2018 3:35 am

I remember reading a story in which Bautista claims that PAL is already negotiating membership with an alliance, but that it can't be disclosed which one yet.

My money is on OneWorld.

moondog Dec 31, 2018 3:44 am

I would be surprised if they are up to OW standards.

clubeurope Dec 31, 2018 4:09 am

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 30590708)
I would be surprised if they are up to OW standards.

no, not quite at all, just yet.

but I'm quite sure its OW they are talking to.

blandy62 Dec 31, 2018 4:29 am

With CX that close and already controlling a big part of the market out if MNL what would be the point? But I agree I think they talk to OW.

clubeurope Dec 31, 2018 4:41 am

Originally Posted by blandy62 (Post 30590786)
With CX that close and already controlling a big part of the market out if MNL what would be the point?

For OW? Not much, practically nothing really, especially given how low-yield MNL traffic is.

Even less so for ST and *A.

If anything, I suppose CX can capitalise on such a partnership if they can figure out some sort of a JV agreement, which allows them (CX, in particular) to set prices as they want it to be.

Fyd Dec 31, 2018 11:23 am

They need a sponsor to join one of the alliances and the only meaningful, long-term partnership they have is with ANA, making StarAlliance more likely...

moondog Dec 31, 2018 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by Fyd (Post 30591969)
They need a sponsor to join one of the alliances and the only meaningful, long-term partnership they have is with ANA, making StarAlliance more likely...

In order to join OW, they would need CX support (or at least not blockage), and I simply can't see that happening because PR doesn't bring substantial value to the table.

blandy62 Dec 31, 2018 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by Fyd (Post 30591969)

but is already very crowded in Asia not mentioning SE asia.