Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying AirAsia tickets with Amex

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2018, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Buying AirAsia tickets with Amex

I did a forum search but couldn't find anything. Last year I was able to buy AirAsia tickets for my holiday with Amex by changing currency to MYR, but it doesn't seem to work any more. In the app I get "Invalid merchant" error prompt and on website "We don't support that type of card" no matter which currency I try.
Does anyone know a workaround for this or is it hopeless? Their customer service is useless, " We suggest you don't use app to buy tickets, instead do it in internet using compatible browser." Compatible to what??
Old Dec 17, 2018, 1:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
AmEx PTS/CTS in the USA is usually able to sell tickets on foreign carriers, although there is a ticketing service charge. Try calling them. If you don't have a regular platinum/Centurion card, you could try an AmEx travel service office.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
AmEx PTS/CTS in the USA is usually able to sell tickets on foreign carriers, although there is a ticketing service charge. Try calling them. If you don't have a regular platinum/Centurion card, you could try an AmEx travel service office.
I’m not sure AirAsia is a normal enough carrier.

I do see them listed on some countries Expedia, like Indonesia. You can try skyscanner.com, or it’s Asia web sites too for Asian LCC’s.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 1:54 am

Programs: Enrich
hm... did you use mobile app for booking? Or using desktop pc/laptop for booking?

I never use their mobile app for any flight booking since I always found that it kind of buggy... what the customer service means is try to use desktop pc or laptop to book the flight ticket
Old Dec 17, 2018, 3:10 am
Original Poster

I tried both the app and website with different browser and different currencies, Amex is still not accepted. Expedia and such come up with higher price and not sure I can pre-book seats or luggage that way.
Also tried UK Amex Travel, according to them they can't ticket if airline doesn't accept Amex as payment method. I guess Cebu Pacific it is then
Old Dec 18, 2018, 12:01 am

Programs: Enrich
I believe is the system issue between AirAsia payment system and Amex in Malaysia. I have a lots of similar experience when making payment for online vendor, such as Japan based vendor and US amazon where they have no issue of accepting foreign credit (which has been successful in past years), but I have been unable to make any payment using all foreign credit card since past few years.

But yes maybe you should give Cebu Pacific a try. Have seen some not bad review on it too
Old Dec 18, 2018, 12:56 am
Original Poster

My bad for not being thoural enough. Digging deeper into their FAQ section turns out that Amex is not accepted at all for Z2 (Philippines AirAsia) tickets.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 3:25 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by flyslow
My bad for not being thoural enough. Digging deeper into their FAQ section turns out that Amex is not accepted at all for Z2 (Philippines AirAsia) tickets.
You may try buying via Trip.com or Traveloka.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 10:38 pm

Programs: asia miles
Originally Posted by dici
hm... did you use mobile app for booking? Or using desktop pc/laptop for booking?

I never use their mobile app for any flight booking since I always found that it kind of buggy... what the customer service means is try to use desktop pc or laptop to book the flight ticket
Sometimes I can't book with my Amex card on their website but it seems to always work via the app somehow
Old Feb 15, 2020, 3:07 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
It seems AirAsia has problems with many Visa cards from other countries too.
did anyone book an AirAsia flight using another booking site like trip.com etc? I am having issues too but with a visa card?
Old Feb 16, 2020, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by dav662
It seems AirAsia has problems with many Visa cards from other countries too.
did anyone book an AirAsia flight using another booking site like trip.com etc? I am having issues too but with a visa card?
I’ve used a Visa card this week for an Air Asia Indonesia ticket.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I’ve used a Visa card this week for an Air Asia Indonesia ticket.
Yes it seems that they have a problem with visa with some banks of some countries. I asked the bank too and it's something they need to sort out. I eventually used Expedia.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 6:10 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Banks (and I assume AMEX) will sometimes block airlines and/or countries of ticket issue as a fraud prevention measure. Calling (in advance?) will normally solve the problem....

Just wandering
Fred
Old Feb 18, 2020, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by wandering_fred
Banks (and I assume AMEX) will sometimes block airlines and/or countries of ticket issue as a fraud prevention measure. Calling (in advance?) will normally solve the problem....

Just wandering
Fred
I did and the bank says there was no request from the airline website at all. It seems it's a complicated matter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.