Wiki Posts
Search

China Eastern 297/298 PVG-JFK-PVG round the world

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2018, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
China Eastern 297/298 PVG-JFK-PVG round the world

I flew China Eastern 298 JFK-PVG early Mon morning. A few things to note.
This flight is consistently very early into PVG. Scheduled for 0515, we were off the plane (sitting up front) before 0400. Looking at FlightAware, this service has been arriving by 0435. Transit security at PVG opens at 0430. The MU lounge was just opening when I got there about 0445.
Also looking at the flight map on the plane and checking flightaware maps for 298 and 297 (PVG-JFK) - 298 actually flies polar eastbound over eastern Canada, Greenland, north of Scandinavia and the over central Russia. 297 to JFK also flies east over Japan, Alaska, western Canada and crosses the US border at western NY. Flying this RT would be around the world. My return is actually to LAX, better schedule for me to get back to DCA.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 3:54 am

Programs: Delta PM
Thanks for pointing this out.
I would think there are others, but this is the first time I have heard of an airline actually taking advantage (by having different routing for RT) of the westerly winds in the Northern Hemisphere.

I'll be looking at MU possibly this spring for a USA to SGN flight. I may have to check out that JFK flight.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 11:03 pm

Programs: W/P1.9MM & Charter+ DL Diamond 2.15MM, AA EXP 1.95MM, AS MVP .6MM, O/P .9MM, A/C & S/C
I flew MU 298 on the 4th, also early 0422. We went "westbound" due to winds. Returned on 9th on a more northerly track. Fast flight got into JFK @2103 but had to wait 1 hour for open gate!! Not bad flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.