Wiki Posts
Search

China Eastern Long Layover

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2018, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Slymiles
China Eastern Long Layover

Hi all, looking for some advice. I am arriving Terminal 1 China Eastern airlines into Shanghai 10am on Thursday the 13th of December and depart at approximately 8pm that night. I am not sure if i should chance leaving the airport for a layover of this time frame (chance of denial) or if i should utilize the airport transit hotel. I'm not sure if this is accessible from Terminal 1 where i believe i will be landing. if anyone has information on the transit hotel and whether is accessible from Terminal 1 that will be appreciated along with maybe any rates and length of time that i can stay there.

Thanks.

Last edited by Mykal; Dec 9, 2018 at 4:13 pm Reason: Wrong airline
Old Dec 9, 2018, 4:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Mykal
Hi all, looking for some advice. I am arriving Terminal 1 China Eastern airlines into Shanghai 10am on Thursday the 13th of December and depart at approximately 8pm that night. I am not sure if i should chance leaving the airport for a layover of this time frame (chance of denial) or if i should utilize the airport transit hotel. I'm not sure if this is accessible from Terminal 1 where i believe i will be landing. if anyone has information on the transit hotel and whether is accessible from Terminal 1 that will be appreciated along with maybe any rates and length of time that i can stay there.

Thanks.
10 hours should be long enough for them to let you out. But, just to be sure, I suggest you make a reservation (no need to actually pay) for one of the hotels between the terminals. This strategy helped a traveler on a much shorter layover get permission to leave the airport about 6 weeks ago.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

So there is a transit hotel, hotel "between" terminals and hotels off property? Between terminals they will likely let me out? Will these hotels check me in early?

Thanks again!
Old Dec 9, 2018, 4:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Mykal
So there is a transit hotel, hotel "between" terminals and hotels off property? Between terminals they will likely let me out? Will these hotels check me in early?

Thanks again!
I think they offer day and hourly rates so early isn't really an issue. But, once you're outside, you can go anywhere your heart desires (e.g. head into town).
Old Dec 9, 2018, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Thanks looking into Dazhong or something hotel.

No Taxi makes this alluring.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 4:25 am
Original Poster

Soooo I completed my trip yesterday and have this to tell:

The line for the transit visa can be short if you are quick to the line after filling out arrival/departure card, best do this while standing in line.

If the line builds to about 10 or more - wait is 20 minutes or so for every 10 people on line.

I was in shorts and T shirt and got questioned IN LINE on my intentions (cold in Shanghai, everyone else in line in coat etc.). Showed Dahzong reservation and motioned sleep and bad back and got the "oh ok ok".

Got thru transit visa (everyone seemed to be getting thru yesterday, I had a 10 hour layover).

Dahzong hotel is really nice. Don't expect english and my reservation on their website was nowhere to be found but for approx 500 rmb I got in on the fly. Nice twin bed room and the beds while not super soft were very tolerable. (been on MUCH worse with a bad back) I was in the North Tower 5th floor, was quiet with view of airport. 2 waters many towels decent TV got a solid 6 hours after some KFC and 2 Rite Aid Severe Cold and Flu tabs (highly recommended if you need to sleep).

I recommend!
LapLap likes this.

Last edited by Mykal; Aug 7, 2019 at 7:22 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.