Wiki Posts
Search

1hr connection in PEK

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2018, 6:43 am
Original Poster

1hr connection in PEK

Hi,
I am flying from London Heathrow to Tokyo via a connection in Beijing. Both flights are with Air China, however the layover is only 1hr 10mins - and from what I’ve read online, this will be near impossible to make.

From what I can tell, I will both arrive and leave from Terminal 3 - does anyone have experience with making a connection at PEK, especially with such a short time frame? And what are my options if I miss the onward flight?

many thanks, B
Old Nov 30, 2018, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Just depends on how 'on time' both flights are, and the time of day. I've done loads of PEK I-I connections similar to that.

Are you flying business class by chance?

As for the transit process, it's much faster than it used to be. You'll go through the international transit lane (not entering China area), it's either to the right or left of the main immigration depending on which they have open.... most of the time it's on the left. They just compare your onward boarding pass to your passport these days, so the line moves much faster. If however the queue is snaking out past quarantine check (temperature check) then you need to find some CA staff and get them to help you move to the front. This then dumps you into security, which is the same for everyone regardless of transit or originating in PEK. Here's where business class helps because there is a priority lane for that. Otherwise this can be an absolute zoo and is the most challenging part of the process on a tight connection. From there, it's just making it to your gate, which also can be a challenge depending upon your speed and luck of the draw on gate number. The concourses are REALLY long, so if you're unlucky enough to be at the end of one, then you're looking at a 15 min walk minimum. In those cases, there are golf carts running around... the one with red seats is for business class only and is free, the other ones work for "tips", so have some cash on you, CNY is best but I think the might accept US Dollars as well (been a while so I forget as I always have spare CNY laying around).

Note, to help you minimize headaches at security, just pull out everything such as cables, chargers, power blocks (battery packs), etc. and toss them into the bin separately. I don't know how many times I've had my bag pulled and wasted 10+ mins at PEK security for this, so these days I just pull out my PC charger, my cell phone cable (I have a 3m long one), my extension cable, etc. Gets me through on the first try every time like that. PEK security is by and far the most anal I have experienced at any airport in the world.

Basically, if you are prepared, you should make your connection, but just in case, know your backup alternatives. CA especially may not be very proactive in offering other airlines that get you there faster, so it's up to you to research ahead of time and proactively suggest them if needed.
LapLap and Brigid Kelly like this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 6:26 am

Programs: BAEC
Another tip for Chinese security, only attempt to take lithium based batteries where the size of battery is either clearly marked on the item (between 10000 and 20000mAh) or small (less than 10000mAh) - where the security agents will be confident of the size of battery based on the physical size when scanned.

Contrary to many other jurisdictions, batteries over 20000mAh are not allowed in the cabin and have to go in hold luggage....
Brigid Kelly likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dvs7310
Just depends on how 'on time' both flights are, and the time of day. I've done loads of PEK I-I connections similar to that.

Are you flying business class by chance?

As for the transit process, it's much faster than it used to be. You'll go through the international transit lane (not entering China area), it's either to the right or left of the main immigration depending on which they have open.... most of the time it's on the left. They just compare your onward boarding pass to your passport these days, so the line moves much faster. If however the queue is snaking out past quarantine check (temperature check) then you need to find some CA staff and get them to help you move to the front. This then dumps you into security, which is the same for everyone regardless of transit or originating in PEK. Here's where business class helps because there is a priority lane for that. Otherwise this can be an absolute zoo and is the most challenging part of the process on a tight connection. From there, it's just making it to your gate, which also can be a challenge depending upon your speed and luck of the draw on gate number. The concourses are REALLY long, so if you're unlucky enough to be at the end of one, then you're looking at a 15 min walk minimum. In those cases, there are golf carts running around... the one with red seats is for business class only and is free, the other ones work for "tips", so have some cash on you, CNY is best but I think the might accept US Dollars as well (been a while so I forget as I always have spare CNY laying around).

Note, to help you minimize headaches at security, just pull out everything such as cables, chargers, power blocks (battery packs), etc. and toss them into the bin separately. I don't know how many times I've had my bag pulled and wasted 10+ mins at PEK security for this, so these days I just pull out my PC charger, my cell phone cable (I have a 3m long one), my extension cable, etc. Gets me through on the first try every time like that. PEK security is by and far the most anal I have experienced at any airport in the world.

Basically, if you are prepared, you should make your connection, but just in case, know your backup alternatives. CA especially may not be very proactive in offering other airlines that get you there faster, so it's up to you to research ahead of time and proactively suggest them if needed.
Originally Posted by plunet
Another tip for Chinese security, only attempt to take lithium based batteries where the size of battery is either clearly marked on the item (between 10000 and 20000mAh) or small (less than 10000mAh) - where the security agents will be confident of the size of battery based on the physical size when scanned.

Contrary to many other jurisdictions, batteries over 20000mAh are not allowed in the cabin and have to go in hold luggage....
thankyou both! Unfortunately I am travelling by economy, so looks like I’ll be crossing my fingers and hoping I’m in the right place at the right time.

One plus is that my flight from Heathrow has a trend of arriving up to half an hour earlier than predicted, and I should arrive in the morning, so hopefully the queues won’t be too long.

So you go straight through immigration to security, then through security to the gate?

Yeah, I rang CA yesterday and got them to confirm that in the event I miss the onward flight (either from incoming flight arriving late or security taking a long time) they’ll put me on the next available flight. No doubt I’ll have to insist repeatedly on this if the worst happens, though.

thanks again for your help! The advice is greatly appreciated
Old Dec 1, 2018, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by plunet

Very good point on that battery capacity, they do check them closely every time I go through Chinese security. In addition there is a max total capacity in addition to the individual capacity on on battery. I have 2 that I carry, one is 10,000mAh, the other is 20,000mAh. I forget what the max aggregate capacity is, but my 2 together are fine.

Originally Posted by Brigid Kelly
thankyou both! Unfortunately I am travelling by economy, so looks like I’ll be crossing my fingers and hoping I’m in the right place at the right time.

One plus is that my flight from Heathrow has a trend of arriving up to half an hour earlier than predicted, and I should arrive in the morning, so hopefully the queues won’t be too long.

So you go straight through immigration to security, then through security to the gate?

Yeah, I rang CA yesterday and got them to confirm that in the event I miss the onward flight (either from incoming flight arriving late or security taking a long time) they’ll put me on the next available flight. No doubt I’ll have to insist repeatedly on this if the worst happens, though.

thanks again for your help! The advice is greatly appreciated
Correct, straight through immigration (which really isn't immigration anymore, it's done by airline employees/contractors these days), then security, then book it to your connecting gate. You're going to be tight regardless, but it's doable short of a delayed arrival.

Early morning has a lot of arriving flights from Europe and Oceania, so depending on where your flight is in that, toward the beginning or end, will help predict how long the transit queue is.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
Today I got pulled over by the security at PEK for have too many pens in my bag (about 20 pens).

my backpack was sent back to recheck again.

The lines were relatively short at 1:00 on Saturday
dvs7310 likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by krispykrme
Today I got pulled over by the security at PEK for have too many pens in my bag (about 20 pens).

Haha, love this one. Suppose they pulled out all of the pens and stuck them in the bin separately?

They are seriously the most PITA security I have encountered anywhere in the world, including other Chinese airports. Really need to upgrade their x-ray equipment to match the rest of the world.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by dvs7310
Haha, love this one. Suppose they pulled out all of the pens and stuck them in the bin separately?

They are seriously the most PITA security I have encountered anywhere in the world, including other Chinese airports. Really need to upgrade their x-ray equipment to match the rest of the world.
They sure did.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:12 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by krispykrme

Could have been worse and they sent you to the pen.
plunet likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.