Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines
Reload this Page >

China Southern leaves SkyTeam, planning to join oneworld

Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus, British Airways Executive Club

https://udn.com/news/story/7332/3482916

News with official notice inside, CZ will leave SkyTeam in 2019.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:58 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Not officially planning, but "considering" to join oneworld.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 10:37 am

As an Elite Plus member, Im moderately surprised that I havent got an email from them yet...
Old Nov 15, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
CX being a founding member of OW has veto power for any new member so CZ is likely not going to be a OW member anytime soon. If CZ had the agreements to join OW, it would have been announced at the same time as pulling out of ST.

The only airline name mentioned in the press release was AA so it seems clear that CZ pulling out of ST is probably influenced by AA, which has a minority stake in CZ.

AA is probably doing a lot of behind the scene maneuvering to ensure ST airlines, and DL in particular, don't get a huge advantage at the new airport in Beijing. With CZ and MU both moving to the new airport, ST was going to dominate the operations there. But if CZ is out now, it ensures that there will be at least one non-ST network hub airline at the new airport so the balance of power doesn't tip too much in favor of ST carriers. That's probably the main objective. Having CZ in OW is an added bonus but not really the main objective.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 6:22 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by bzcat
CX being a founding member of OW has veto power for any new member so CZ is likely not going to be a OW member anytime soon.
Won't it depend on what "China Inc" want CX and CZ to do ?
Old Nov 15, 2018, 8:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

CX veto power is key, but regardless of that, the AA CZ partnership will become stronger.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 5:10 am
K.L

Originally Posted by bzcat
CX being a founding member of OW has veto power for any new member so CZ is likely not going to be a OW member anytime soon. If CZ had the agreements to join OW, it would have been announced at the same time as pulling out of ST.

The only airline name mentioned in the press release was AA so it seems clear that CZ pulling out of ST is probably influenced by AA, which has a minority stake in CZ.

AA is probably doing a lot of behind the scene maneuvering to ensure ST airlines, and DL in particular, don't get a huge advantage at the new airport in Beijing. With CZ and MU both moving to the new airport, ST was going to dominate the operations there. But if CZ is out now, it ensures that there will be at least one non-ST network hub airline at the new airport so the balance of power doesn't tip too much in favor of ST carriers. That's probably the main objective. Having CZ in OW is an added bonus but not really the main objective.
Do you mean CX has veto power? not just dissenting vote?
Old Nov 18, 2018, 4:35 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
Yes CX has the power to Veto any airline wishing to join as they are a founding member of the alliance. So that means it is likely any bid for CZ to join Oneworld would need to benefit CX (which I don't know how CZ joining in anyway can) and if not then they will likely deny them entry. AA would prefer them to become a full member but realistically CZ won't join an alliance for many years if at all. Skyteam was and is still the best fit for them from an alliance point of view. But exiting that alliance will free them to codeshare and JV with many more airlines (Especially AA) which they think is a better path for them.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 6:07 am
Suspended

Cathay Pacific has stated openly in 2016 that they will not object any suitable Chinese carrier to join oneworld. I believe it was from Ivan Chu during an industrial meeting interview, but I can no longer find that story. The words are written in the wall that Cathay is in no position to veto after the filed attempt by itself to recruit MU and CA.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 2:53 pm

Programs: BAEC
Well, BA is making an interesting first move setting up a Joint Venture with CZ.

There's a thread for this over on the BA board

British Airways and China Southern Airlines Launch Joint Venture
Old Dec 17, 2019, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by plunet
Well, BA is making an interesting first move setting up a Joint Venture with CZ.

There's a thread for this over on the BA board

British Airways and China Southern Airlines Launch Joint Venture
I predicted this a year ago. AA and BA are both going to be tight with CZ at PKX, with or without OneWorld. Thanks for pointing us to the BA thread. I will definitely check it out.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
I predicted this a year ago. AA and BA are both going to be tight with CZ at PKX, with or without OneWorld. Thanks for pointing us to the BA thread. I will definitely check it out.
Qantas & China Southern also have agreements
https://www.qantas.com/nz/en/qantas-...-airlines.html
Qantas operates daily services between Sydney and Shanghai, and Sydney and Beijing 5 days a week.

Qantas codeshare customers have access to over 40 direct flights per week between Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth, and Guangzhou, operated by China Southern.

From Guangzhou, customers can also connect onto four codeshare destinations throughout China, operated by China Southern, including Fuzhou, Kunming, Xiamen and Urumqi.
QF 2014---> https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/me...-for-business/

China Southern CZ is getting close to being a defacto OW airline.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi

China Southern CZ is getting close to being a defacto OW airline.
De facto is seemingly good enough for AA, BA, and QF.

I can't fathom CX permitting CZ to join OW, but this might not matter at all in the grand scheme.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Too much commitment & paper work with marriage

Finnair AY also in a de facto OW CZ relationship
24 May 2019 https://www.businesstraveller.com/ai...arting-june-1/
Guangzhou-based China Southern Airlines and Finnair have firmed up the details of their previously proposed reciprocal codeshare agreement, which will see the two carriers’ codes placed on Finnair’s service between Helsinki and Guangzhou as well as routes operated by both airlines to select destinations in Europe and China starting June 1.
<snip>
Edit
OW forum Oneworld not in 'active discussions' with China Southern

Qatar Airways and China Southern plan codeshare
Qatar Airways and China Southern have announced plans for a codeshare agreement to begin in January 2020.

Subject to regulatory approval, the move will see the airlines market one another’s flights in what they said would be the “first step” in strengthening their cooperation.

It will initially apply to Qatar Airways’ daily flights from Doha to the Chinese cities of Guangzhou and Beijing.

Qatar Airways acquired a 5 per cent stake in China Southern in December 2018.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Dec 18, 2019 at 3:23 pm Reason: QR CZ codeshare as post 15
Old Dec 18, 2019, 5:29 am
Suspended

Should I add that Qatar has a stake in CZ too?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.