Community
Wiki Posts
Search

China Eastern PVG connection, same day confirmed?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2019, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
China Eastern PVG connection, same day confirmed?

I am flying LAX-BKK and the PVG-BKK flight is MU547 leaving at 8:40pm. A friend is looking to book JFK-BKK. That flight lands in PVG @ 7:10pm - the booking system is only allowing the next flight to be booked @ 10:15 on a code share with Shanghai Airlines. Can the transit in PVG be made in 1:30 - and if so, does MU allow a SDC if space is available? BTW, these are in Business
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Yes, it can be made fairly easily.

I am not aware of any formal SDC. But the Asian airlines have not yet (AFAIK) adapted the US concept of treating any attempted change as a revenue opportunity. If the pax wants to try the early flight, upon clearing transit, go straight to the "gate'. This is likely the bus pen (kind of like a basement with about 5 gate counters). Find the right counter and ask the GA. If they allow it, then fine. If not, back to club for a while.

If they arrive early/ontime and zip trough they might have enough time to hit the club for 30 minutes then go on to the early flight gate. Probably want to get to the gate at about T-30.

Worst problem is the GA says "maybe", and now your pals have to decide if they wish to relax in the lounge or hang in the pen.

EDIT: He can also try other booking channels to see if it can be booked properly on a single ticket. Phone call to MU, priceline, expedia ...
Old Jan 22, 2019, 7:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by exwannabe
Yes, it can be made fairly easily.

I am not aware of any formal SDC. But the Asian airlines have not yet (AFAIK) adapted the US concept of treating any attempted change as a revenue opportunity. If the pax wants to try the early flight, upon clearing transit, go straight to the "gate'. This is likely the bus pen (kind of like a basement with about 5 gate counters). Find the right counter and ask the GA. If they allow it, then fine. If not, back to club for a while.

If they arrive early/ontime and zip trough they might have enough time to hit the club for 30 minutes then go on to the early flight gate. Probably want to get to the gate at about T-30.

Worst problem is the GA says "maybe", and now your pals have to decide if they wish to relax in the lounge or hang in the pen.

EDIT: He can also try other booking channels to see if it can be booked properly on a single ticket. Phone call to MU, priceline, expedia ...
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the bp for the correct flight needs to be stamped by border control.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:06 pm

It took me 2+ hrs to get through transit check and security check at PVG!
Dean1953 likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by glob99
It took me 2+ hrs to get through transit check and security check at PVG!
Probably why they don’t allow 1.5 hour connection to be booked. I made this same connection a couple years ago and it was really quick. If you need stamped BP, that would cause the real problem.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the bp for the correct flight needs to be stamped by border control.
My friend called MU and was told connection was too tight, however if he ended up getting to gate in time that he could change the flight.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Tomphot

My friend called MU and was told connection was too tight, however if he ended up getting to gate in time that he could change the flight.
Hand luggage only? Might be possible. If there are checked bags they will already be tagged and waiting for the later flight. And what do you do on arrival in BKK? You'd have to wait for the bags anyway.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Hand luggage only? Might be possible. If there are checked bags they will already be tagged and waiting for the later flight. And what do you do on arrival in BKK? You'd have to wait for the bags anyway.
Hand luggage only, I should have mentioned that earlier. My flight lands in BKK @ 01:00 am, he lands 1hour later. At least the traffic is late that time of night! The big question is, am I the kind of guy who waits an hour for his buddy or do I head to the hotel and get an extra hour of sleep?
Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)

Hand luggage only, I should have mentioned that earlier. My flight lands in BKK @ 01:00 am, he lands 1hour later. At least the traffic is late that time of night! The big question is, am I the kind of guy who waits an hour for his buddy or do I head to the hotel and get an extra hour of sleep?
With Shanghai departure delays who knows. You could end up arriving a lot closer than an hour apart. Or it could be a lot more.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M

Not a good airport for hanging out groundside, hard to even find a bar.

That would be my excuse for abandoning him :-)
moondog and Dean1953 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.